+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Basics of PvP Healing in Rift

Default Basics of PvP Healing in Rift

Hopefully after reading this, whether you are a veteran or a noob, you will have learned something to help you be a better healer. I am assuming that the basics of PvP are already understood (strafing, keybinding all abilities, etc.)This is more cleric specific, as I have little experience with Chloromancer or the rogue's support healing souls.

1. First and foremost, with patch 1.11, AoE healing is now junk. Healing Cataract is not going to keep people alive. Your best shot at keeping people alive is to use single target heals. I cannot tell you how many times I've seen front line fighters go down one at a time while the healers are spamming Healing Cataract. It heals for a third of what Suble Invocation does.

2. Use the /cast @mouseoverui macros. In PvP, people move around far too much to accurately cast a heal on the right target. If you use cast @mouseoverui, you can cast heals on people who you know are in range (if the swaure is lit up, they are within range) and are taking a beating. I have all of my singel target spells macroed as @mouseoverui, it makes life so much easier.

3. Don't prioritize helaing people who aren't going to contribute as much. Healing that tank warrior with 25k HP may seem like a good idea, but if you heal him he isn't going to kill anything. Only prioritize your heals on important targets like fang holders or good DPS-ers. If they are all topped off, then you can move onto lower priority targets. Make sure you don't waste heals on targets who are about to die no matter what you do, just let them die and move on to another target.

4. Try to avoid long cast times. Hard casting a 3s cast time spell on a target who is taking serious damage is not a good idea because they will usually be dead by the time you get the heal off.

5. Cleanse. If you see raid frames filling up with purple squares, it will be easier to cleanse than heal through all of the damage. This is especially true if you can recognize hard hitting spells like Countdown or Tyranny of Death. Cleansing can totally disable a Saboteur as well. Play smart, cleansing can be easier than healing.

6. Finally, grow thick skin. You will get an insane amount of abuse as a healer. You will be yelled at because the DPS can't kill anything. You will be blamed if everyone goes rambo and dies. It's part of the job.

If you can apply these guidelines to your healing, I guarantee you will see improvements. Hope you learned something!
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight
    <Celestial Might> [Retired: Hartzekarr and Greogard]
    My CD is now available for purchase here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/opus-1/id580677269

Quote Originally Posted by Hartzekar View Post
    Make sure you don't waste heals on targets who are about to die no matter what you do, just let them die and move on to another target.
    Man, good advice and all - and i think i know what you're trying to say here. But this definitely deserves a rephrasal

Champion of Telara

3. Don't prioritize helaing people who aren't going to contribute as much. Healing that tank warrior with 25k HP may seem like a good idea, but if you heal him he isn't going to kill anything. Only prioritize your heals on important targets like fang holders or good DPS-ers.
    This depends... If the opposing team are being dumb and pounding the tank while your dps are running about picking them off then keep the damn tank alive. If they are ignoring him, you do the same. Also, if you are the only healer I would prefer if you didnt keep the fang carrier alive while the rest get slaughtered - We can all hold the fang for a while as long as people yell when they are going to die and the next guy can get by them.

The rest i agree with. Particularly cleansing, half the time its more valuable than heals.

Man, good advice and all - and i think i know what you're trying to say here. But this definitely deserves a rephrasal
    he is saying that basically everybody dies eventually so healing is worthless, all clerics should go dps

i would agree on most things except the 25k warrior. it really depends who you are against, badies will keep targeting the tank because it's the closest target and TAB has no built in AI.....
    Last edited by littlepoit; 11-22-2012 at 07:05 AM.

Roleplayer Roleplayer tsk tsk tsk you don't see other pvp'ers come to you and tell you how to pretend to be a Elf stick to your roleplaying and when you come into the warfronts S T F U.

Remember Legendaryheal Loves You

Quote Originally Posted by SoKoQQ View Post
    Roleplayer Roleplayer tsk tsk tsk you don't see other pvp'ers come to you and tell you how to pretend to be a Elf stick to your roleplaying and when you come into the warfronts S T F U.

Remember Legendaryheal Loves You
    ...... and this would be a good example of ppl that fit in number 6

OP: ignoring the troll, good post and some straightforward facts that ppl should use.

The mouseoverui command is especially important as a healer, in my opinion, if you are not using it like this then you are doing it wrong.

3. Don't prioritize healing people who aren't going to contribute as much. Healing that tank warrior with 25k HP may seem like a good idea, but if you heal him he isn't going to kill anything. Only prioritize your heals on important targets like fang holders or good DPS-ers.
    Thank you.
    ~Quiescent

Hmmm. Healing the tank that 10 people are hitting or healing the dps that no one is hitting.

Tough choice.

Only real rule about pvp healing is that its more often than not, completely reactionary unless you pocket heal.

Oh, and heal the rogue last.

Sort by KB, select highest KB dealer on your team /focus and /pocket heal him while spraying the rest of the team with healing flood/cataract.

Quote Originally Posted by Eughe View Post
    Hmmm. Healing the tank that no one is hitting or healing the dps that the whole team is FF'ing.

Tough choice.
    Ftfy

/ 10
    ~Quiescent

Rift Chaser

Haven't played my cleric much since the expansion, but they really brought the nerf hammer down hard on the aoe heals and shields. Pool of Restoration looks like it will still be fairly effective...other than that, ripple should still function well. The rest is crap now in PvP at least...

Good stuff here. I'm always amazed in certain squads when there is a healer for every 4 people and everyone dies within a few seconds of encountering the enemy zerg. There appears to be a need for some major tactical changes on the part of many healers...this thread may help...

#3 is only one I partially disagree with.

Played a "PvP Tank" for most of my time in Rift, and the difference a PvP tank can make on maps like PS, WF, CQ and Dex is massive. Generally speaking, the mere presence of a PvP tank offers 2 things:

(a) an established front line for your team
    (b) an established target that everyone on their team can attack (is in range of)

Those 2 components necessitate heals being delivered to a PvP tank. I've witnessed time and again, the moment the PvP tank dies, the rest of the raid follows suit shortly thereafter. I've been the stalwart that allows 15 to take on 20 or even 40 in CQ and win.

While this certainly isn't the case 100% of the time, as a "rule" to suggest not healing tanks is a bad precident to set. Just like all of PvP it's situational, and depends on the competency of the team and the individual players that comprise it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    Ftfy

/ 10
    You must play against a better grade of people.

I personally love pvp tanks. All too often the failure of most pushes are the lack of a front line. Something many healers have to play which puts them in unnecessary danger.
    If we had more pvp tanks (pully tanks at that) things would be more interesting.
    Last edited by Eughe; 11-22-2012 at 08:28 AM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by nemecis View Post
    #3 is only one I partially disagree with.

Played a "PvP Tank" for most of my time in Rift, and the difference a PvP tank can make on maps like PS, WF, CQ and Dex is massive. Generally speaking, the mere presence of a PvP tank offers 2 things:

(a) an established front line for your team
    (b) an established target that everyone on their team can attack (is in range of)

Those 2 components necessitate heals being delivered to a PvP tank. I've witnessed time and again, the moment the PvP tank dies, the rest of the raid follows suit shortly thereafter. I've been the stalwart that allows 15 to take on 20 or even 40 in CQ and win.

While this certainly isn't the case 100% of the time, as a "rule" to suggest not healing tanks is a bad precident to set. Just like all of PvP it's situational, and depends on the competency of the team and the individual players that comprise it.
    /\ i agree with my tank, we arent completely useless. If you build your spec not for diving in and hoping not to die. They are great for running objectives, and if built with pulls/stuns/kicks can be a very good person to keep around and up.

I know this cause i love my champions really good pve aoe damage, but it just is crap in WFS.

You arent Emonerdrage are you? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Eughe View Post
    You must play against a better grade of people.

I personally love pvp tanks. All too often the failure of most pushes are the lack of a front line. Something many healers have to play which puts them in unnecessary danger.
    If we had more pvp tanks (pully tanks at that) things would be more interesting.
    Actually I realized that I was getting the wrong sentiment across.

More what I mean, is when there's a healer who has his face stuck to some tank's butt all game, and is making every effort to keep said tank up above 80%, but ignores all the other DPS dropping from 90-15% because he doesn't have the sense to stop targeting the guy with six full heals to toss a healing breath or two to the rest of his team.

Tanks are good, tunnelvision isn't.
    ~Quiescent

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast