+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Should Leapbacks be possible when carrying objectives?

  1. #1
    Ascendant micshaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,468

    Default Should Leapbacks be possible when carrying objectives?

    Unlike movement speed buffs/teleports/etc. - leapbacks are not blocked out by various objectives.

    More specifically over the past few days i've perfected the art of what i call the Karthan Ridge Leapback Maneuver - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbSHA-iT5Gg

    It's a short and mildly entertaining clip that presents a valid concern - inb4 RIP headphone users though.

  2. #2
    Ascendant Kyera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,402

    Default

    Nerfing mobility tools in object-carrying maps was a dumb decision in the first place.

    Creative carrying is a staple of any sort of CTF/bombing run-style game, so dropping the ban hammer on something like the RS runner spec because people were too stupid to not stand in front of the RS and give him blinks and/or play specs designed to counter it but either ripping off the buffs or preventing a pickup in the first place was all kinds of dumb.

    Found a creative way to combine abilities and the terrain? Good. Maybe players should learn to defend against it instead of qqing that it can't be stopped.

    Full disclosure: Never ran the runner spec, played MM to counter it, hated when people whined in chat b/c they gave the runner outs.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

  3. #3
    Ascendant micshaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyera View Post
    Nerfing mobility tools in object-carrying maps was a dumb decision in the first place.

    Creative carrying is a staple of any sort of CTF/bombing run-style game, so dropping the ban hammer on something like the RS runner spec because people were too stupid to not stand in front of the RS and give him blinks and/or play specs designed to counter it but either ripping off the buffs or preventing a pickup in the first place was all kinds of dumb.

    Found a creative way to combine abilities and the terrain? Good. Maybe players should learn to defend against it instead of qqing that it can't be stopped.

    Full disclosure: Never ran the runner spec, played MM to counter it, hated when people whined in chat b/c they gave the runner outs.
    Oh don't get me wrong i agree

    I'm certainly not passing judgement on the use of the mechanics as i'm a prime offender in this case, i never did the whitefall runner spec thing though.

    I'm merely trying to make sense of the fact that leapback seems to be unaffected by the above mentioned nerf when clearly it works wonders

  4. #4
    Ascendant Ajax1114's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,576

    Default

    "Creative use of game mechanics."

    In all seriousness, I think the fact that "leapbacks" are still possible (and have been for a while) is an unintended oversight that no one really reported because it isn't that big of a deal.

    It also isn't fair, though, if other movement abilities are locked and leapbacks aren't. It's gotta be all the way or nothing. And I'd be more in favor of nothing than something because some classes (*cough* rogue *cough*) are still the kings of mobility tools.

  5. #5
    Ascendant micshaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,468

    Default

    Bump, this is still very much a relevant issue - additionally it's also only possible on the Guardian ledge in Karthan Ridge - making it a bit of a terrain disadvantage on this match

    I've gotten a LOT of hate, and also a lot of props for this particular move - but i acknowledge that it's abuse of an unintentional design flaw, and will therefore also advocate for this to be, at the very least looked into.

    You may see this in action in both my OP and in the following, this one will not blow your ears out by the way.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgj6oVafYpU

  6. #6
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyera View Post
    snip
    The problem is that it is calling specific and other callings don't possess the tools necessary to pull off such maneuvers.

  7. #7
    Ascendant Kyera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katosu View Post
    The problem is that it is calling specific and other callings don't possess the tools necessary to pull off such maneuvers.
    All four callings in Rift don't have the exact same toolchests available to each and every one of them?

    Well, damn. I'm shocked.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

  8. #8
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    302

    Default

    If one side can do it, and not the other, it needs to be fixed as soon as possible.

  9. #9
    Rift Chaser Darkjoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Stafford, VA
    Posts
    373

    Default

    No.

    I can't flicker with the objective, you shouldn't be able to do any sort of teleport either.

  10. #10
    Ascendant Violacea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by micshaz View Post
    but i acknowledge that it's abuse of an unintentional design flaw, and will therefore also advocate for this to be, at the very least looked into.
    Theres way more than this.

    BG - You can run up either side of the divided wall cliff on the Defiant side with run speed. You can retreat back off the rock on the guard side up their cliff.

    Library - You can use sprint + retreat to jump around the barrier walls and literally walk/remain on top of the enemies spawn point with no reset area.

    Port Scion - Church to boss run on Defiant side, retreat can jump over the way they 'raised' to try to make it not possible to do that. You might be able to do it on the guard side with run speed. But also on the guard side you can use retreat to hop a gap over the river to cut a huge run out of the crystal run.

    Not sure if it works anymore because they changed how it works...but the RS ability that used to make you immune to damage would cause things like...the glow over your head in Library when carrying a rune to vanish. Making you, from the naked eye, a bit harder to pick from a crowd without a click. Might not do it anymore though because the ability is different.

    Silly Rogues.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

  11. #11
    Rift Chaser Topology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    Silly Rogues.
    spaceboots_avatar.jpg

  12. #12
    Rift Master The Ic0N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    644

    Default

    Clearly u all forgot how a fully geared and ipp trinket riftstalker was unstoppable with the flag in whitefall. He could cross the map in under 30 seconds and was unkillable for that duration
    Enforcer | Schwarzeneggar | Enforced <-- Myrmidon


    Tempagon PvP Video

  13. #13
    Ascendant Kyera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ic0N View Post
    Clearly u all forgot how a fully geared and ipp trinket riftstalker was unstoppable with the flag in whitefall. He could cross the map in under 30 seconds and was unkillable for that duration
    Ahh yes, the elusive unkillable Riftstalker flag runner.

    I never managed to catch one of those in the wild, though I heard legends.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

  14. #14
    Ascendant Violacea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ic0N View Post
    Clearly u all forgot how a fully geared and ipp trinket riftstalker was unstoppable with the flag in whitefall. He could cross the map in under 30 seconds and was unkillable for that duration
    No RS ran the flag back in 30s from flag point to flag point.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

  15. #15
    Ascendant micshaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    Theres way more than this.

    BG - You can run up either side of the divided wall cliff on the Defiant side with run speed. You can retreat back off the rock on the guard side up their cliff.

    Library - You can use sprint + retreat to jump around the barrier walls and literally walk/remain on top of the enemies spawn point with no reset area.

    Port Scion - Church to boss run on Defiant side, retreat can jump over the way they 'raised' to try to make it not possible to do that. You might be able to do it on the guard side with run speed. But also on the guard side you can use retreat to hop a gap over the river to cut a huge run out of the crystal run.

    Not sure if it works anymore because they changed how it works...but the RS ability that used to make you immune to damage would cause things like...the glow over your head in Library when carrying a rune to vanish. Making you, from the naked eye, a bit harder to pick from a crowd without a click. Might not do it anymore though because the ability is different.

    Silly Rogues.
    Yes, you're absolutely right there are far more of these - and not only cover the carrying of objectives, but just overall getting into otherwise unreachable places.

    I gather it would simply be too hard, and pointless to bother fixing these from a warfront designers perspective.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts