+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What do you consider PVP skill?

Default What do you consider PVP skill?

First, no doubt some will say that the skill bar for pvp is really low. I won't disagree. It is a gear based game. But let's say all other things are equal, what constitutes skill in your opinion?

I can think of quite a few things, but curious what others think.
    Last edited by Jeffreys; 11-08-2012 at 06:55 AM.
    @Deepwood and elsewhere
    - Hello Kitty -* Plinka *
    And The Littles
    McBaddie * Chickabowwow * Bigstaff * Bighat * Beergut
    Littlehealz * Littletop * Fireballa * Freedomfries

Ascendant

to save skills for when they are most useful (interrupts, bursts, etc. ).
    to pick priority targets
    to direct people toward important objectives without turning in to an epeen battle
    to know which actions will be best for the team over what is best for the person
    to know when to fight and when to wait
    to roll a warrior and two shot everything

Pretty much sums it up. I don't like 1 v 1 or open world things though, so I probably don't stand up well in the grand PVP scheme of things. I would much prefer warfronts in the style of Demigod game play. I do think there should be pure PK-PVP warfronts though, like a first to 500 kills black garden where there are no "PVP gets in the way of PVE objective" goals.

In group PvP, strategy = skill. Stay together, protect your healers, kill or CC enemy healers, CC heavy hitters, etc.

In both 1v1 and group pvp, true skill comes from knowing the other callings as well as you know your own. Be able to roughly identfy what build your opponent is using, and know how to counter it or escape.

pvp "skill" is knowing how to move, how to turn, when to interrupt, how to use terrain in your advantage, and also making most of your build to survive or kill certain opponents

I don't mind if I "die" in a wf or open world or in a raid, is the same for me :P
    also all that is red in open world means is ready for a fight, why not have some fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dee View Post
    pvp "skill" is knowing how to move, how to turn, when to interrupt, how to use terrain in your advantage, and also making most of your build to survive or kill certain opponents

I don't mind if I "die" in a wf or open world or in a raid, is the same for me :P
    also all that is red in open world means is ready for a fight, why not have some fun?
    actually now that I think of it more, I do mind if I die in a raid or dungeon, makes me mend my soul!

Rift Master

http://i.imgur.com/RqcW7.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist
    No French kisses, and no hippopotamuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Fafa View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/RqcW7.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist
    we can see now why you dont get the kill count for glory of the victor

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Star View Post
    In both 1v1 and group pvp, true skill comes from knowing the other callings as well as you know your own. Be able to roughly identfy what build your opponent is using, and know how to counter it or escape.
    This is why I'm trying to level a warrior - so I have some clue about who I'm fighting. I find leveling the fourth a major chore though.
    @Deepwood and elsewhere
    - Hello Kitty -* Plinka *
    And The Littles
    McBaddie * Chickabowwow * Bigstaff * Bighat * Beergut
    Littlehealz * Littletop * Fireballa * Freedomfries

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dee View Post
    we can see now why you dont get the kill count for glory of the victor
    whats that?

oh the cq quest... I never go in anymore that quest is like 3 weeks old
    Last edited by Fafa; 11-08-2012 at 07:50 AM.
    No French kisses, and no hippopotamuses.

Apt target selection.
    Defensive mindset.
    Battlefield awareness.
    Good communication.
    Astute ability usage.
    Class impartiality.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

The ability to convince others you are good at pvp on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Division View Post
    The ability to convince others you are good at pvp on the forums.
    or to troll them if you can't "kill" them, also post and ask for more nerfs and buffs
    Last edited by Dee Dee; 11-08-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Depends on the setting.

In WF's actually knowing the objective and being able to contribute the right way at the right time is a skill that eludes quite a few people.

In CQ it is similar to WF's in many ways, just on a larger scale.

In both CQ and Wf's being willing to listen to leaders is key. Being willing to step up and take the lead when no one else is doing it can make or break an effort.

Other than that; target selection, team mate protection, CC, interrupts, picking the right build for the job you intend to do, etc. are all part of it.

On a 1v1 scale it is about maximizing the abilities of your class against whatever class you are facing. That may mean maintaining distance if you are a ranged class, closing distance if you are a melee class, moving out of los or behind your target at the right time, interrupting, etc. And sometimes it means knowing that with your current build or the opponent's build there are some fights you just won't win.
    Last edited by Khatovar; 11-08-2012 at 08:20 AM.

lol @ Fafa's pic, just awesome lol.

Being good at PvP IMO includes a lot of what was already said. You need to be aware of both your situation and yourself. You need to know what your current build is capable of and more importantly what it isn't capable of. Proper interupt/silence/disarm/stuns are skill based also. It is also working knowledge of your opponents classes and abilities. Proper C/D usage. Gear is being nerfed so badly that it's effect in PvP is becoming minimalist. I'm certain most "avid" PvP'ers in here would agree that a "skilled" player in PvE gear will wipe the floor with a warfront grinder in P50 gear. This has held true since the original R1-R6 rankings when Dps and value did something in wf's.

I don't agree that PvP skill has anything to do with listening to a wf/cq leader. That might make a player/team more effective, but it doesn't make a player more skilled at anything. A skilled player doesn't need someone to point them at the correct target/objective. Also telling others what to do doesnt make you skilled. Just cause a guy can "coach" the team doesn't mean hes "skilled" at playing the sport.
    Last edited by The Ic0N; 11-08-2012 at 09:05 AM.
    Enforcer | Schwarzeneggar | Enforced <-- Myrmidon

Tempagon PvP Video

specs, timing, situational awareness/opponent prediction.

Must be made possible by trying.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast