+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Glamour

Thread: Mage pvp

Soulwalker

Default Mage pvp

ok so im not seeing alot on new mage pvp specs im coming back for the xpac and everything is revamped i see a ton of QQ and dont care just wanting to know whats half way decent for mage pvp take QQ elts ware

I'm not making a lot of sense of your post.

Find a spec you like, and play it well. That's the best spec imo.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

harbomancer is OP

This is my mage roster at the moment:

DPS
    1. Harbinger/Dom. (I think most people run a Harbinger/Chloro)This is a gimmicky build Trion gave us for melee (Melee mage is gimick to start imho). It deals hellacious damage in a very short time span which makes it a good choice for PvP. I don't dps PvE much at all so I don't know how it works out on raids, dungeons etc. If you want to kill, this is a goto soul.
    2. Pyro (Various sub builds but I lean arch/chloro) Good old fashioned single target damage. Not a front line build, very much required to work with or be in proximity to a healer. With better gear you can definitely duel if you find yourself alone but it's not great for 2+v1 at all.
    3. Elementalist/Necro/0 spec optional This is another good PvP build, great damage and a pet that you can fire and forget to keep people off your back. It has great mobility with runcast, helps when fighting melee.

Ele might be a better killer than pyro, but I have a preference for non-pet classes.

Utility
    1. Dom/Storm/Arch Once again my build is different than most but for PvP I like the Stormbringers second pushback skill. Being able to knock people off cliffs or making them run while they have Dom dots on them is a nice option, use your knockbacks! Deals a LOT of damage, you can still get KBs and outperform other mage types but if all you do is kill with the dom, your missing out on half it's potential.

Healing
    Nothing new except to note chloro heals are not damage based now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hailolyergory View Post
    All, Please nerf paper it is too strong, but leave scissors alone they are fine.
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Oomeht View Post
    ok so im not seeing alot on new mage pvp specs im coming back for the xpac and everything is revamped i see a ton of QQ and dont care just wanting to know whats half way decent for mage pvp take QQ elts ware
    So.. you are QQing about people QQing instead of doing all the work and providing you with specs

here's a novel idea work it out yourself

edit: elts ware is not even close to being a proper word I think you are looking for elsewhere
    Last edited by Glamour; 11-07-2012 at 07:39 PM.

I see lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of Harbinger/Chloro hybrids on Beta. Problem with that one is if you have a dedicated Chloro in your raid, well, then they are not healing you.

I have to admit, I never thought about a Harbinger/Dom hybrid much. Gonna have to try that one out some.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorin View Post
    Think of a 30 meter circle around all ranged dps rogues and mages. Ranged dps can stand in the back line and focus fire targets without worrying about mobility and most forms of cc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    Sounds like an excellent plan for your healers to follow as well, as they have an even longer range on their heals.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxagallanxchi View Post
    I see lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of Harbinger/Chloro hybrids on Beta. Problem with that one is if you have a dedicated Chloro in your raid, well, then they are not healing you.

I have to admit, I never thought about a Harbinger/Dom hybrid much. Gonna have to try that one out some.
    Harbinger/stormcaller is worth a look too. And Harbinger/Archon... And harbinger/Pyro lol.

Harb/Dom is one i've been looking into. I think Harbingr/chloro will be the go to solo spec but in pvp there is a multitude of options using Harbinger. For the min/max people i suspect that the highest dps will come from harbinger/pyro.

Quote Originally Posted by Pett View Post
    Harbinger/stormcaller is worth a look too. And Harbinger/Archon... And harbinger/Pyro lol.

Harb/Dom is one i've been looking into. I think Harbingr/chloro will be the go to solo spec but in pvp there is a multitude of options using Harbinger. For the min/max people i suspect that the highest dps will come from harbinger/pyro.
    I used Harb/SC and Harb/Pyro some in the beta. Love me some instant casting shenanigans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorin View Post
    Think of a 30 meter circle around all ranged dps rogues and mages. Ranged dps can stand in the back line and focus fire targets without worrying about mobility and most forms of cc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    Sounds like an excellent plan for your healers to follow as well, as they have an even longer range on their heals.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxagallanxchi View Post

The thing with the dom in the harb build I did for snares, insta-squirrel, the 20% AP boost on CC, 2 reflects, and the silence. You can get more dps out of other builds but I wanted to be sure I could lock down a target for killing or deal with 2v1 and 3v1 situations.

It was built to keep people from jumping in my fights (Adds get squirreled), keep them from running off (Snares and Squirrel) and if they do run off I have several really nice range spells (Mana wrench, Transference, Storm Shackle for the biggies, also Neural Prod but its weak) plus I can snare/squirrel so I can catch up to them again. Its just a more utilitarian build than the chloro specs. I did stay 0 chloro for the spores.

I gave up chance to heal when damaged, refresh Lucent Slash, and anything granted past 51 point harbinger. Rending Slash may be worth getting, especially for PvE but as a PvP oriented player, I want to see if the utility works out versus the stacking damage adder (Really tough call).
    All, Please nerf paper it is too strong, but leave scissors alone they are fine.
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by minipara View Post
    harbomancer is OP
    All i read is Hobomancer

Quote Originally Posted by Division View Post
    All i read is Hobomancer
    You have just named the new fotm.
    Edit: when you see the p80 mage armor you will see why the name fits. Seriously drab.
    Last edited by Bliter; 11-08-2012 at 03:31 PM.
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

+ Reply to Thread