+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Life of an “average” rank 37 DPS mage.

Soulwalker

Default Life of an “average” rank 37 DPS mage.

OK The MAGE... omfg the problem is actually getting worse. I have spoken to some lower PvP ranked mages and they have given up playin pvp. Its too much like hard work. Even Guildies keep asking “ytf are u still playing that S***”. I still want to get to rank 50..and to date I have never quit on a Warfront. I’ve Met some amazing players and I try to acknowledge those good players when ever I’m group with them.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Because everyone knows the Mage class is in a total situation of disarray, we are becoming the easy quick feel good factor, smashing hell out of the first mage available. You only have to look at the Number of deaths at the end of a match and yer Mages come top..

Basically Mage = Easy Prestige points
    -------------------------------------------------------
    I took the recommendation to try elemental and yer the dps is better but whats the F,In use in good dps for 6 seconds then your dead for the next 15 sec re-spawn 10 sec to run back to the fight to die on route.
    If by chance you meet a pathetically under geared rogue on route ,your gonna die. He shoots the hell out of you before you even touch him.. Seriously I cant mention names but there are half geared rogues actually killing mages within 3 seconds.

Close quarter melee or ranged rogues own mages. I don’t blame rogues, I played a Rogue Artemmis in wow and that just what u do , stealth, shadowdance backstab, vanish backstab kidney punch ,blabla. Its enjoyable controlled killing on the battle field. BUT im not playing that vile game anymore. Never in this game have I as a mage OWN anyone.. never...
    IF I Could pay to change my Mage over to a rogue in fact ANY CLASS, I would in an instant... I would because honestly I have had a gut full of it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thus game time:- Buff up run in dps, die within seconds,
    NOW spend the next 15 -20 sec waiting to spawn,
    buff up mount up run in and u die on the way,
    20 seconds re-spawn buff up mount up 10 sec to get to the fight start ur dps.
    Its going good No-one has seen ya,.. uve lasted 20 sec ur over the moon ,,oops one shot dead and thats the life cycle of a dps mage..
    Frikin the worst game play the most frustrating game play ever.. The anger expressed in many sad comments in warfronts is a tip of the iceberg and “Trynot” still decide not to listen
    It boils down to the fact alot of Mages only get 25% actual game time/battle time/action time..
    The rest is dead, respawn time.

We desperately need some survivability, at all levels STOP automatically thinking this is a lvl 50 problem...Its seriously need trions attention.

BALOOBA

PvP can be rage inducing sometimes. (To all Trion Customer Service folks - please forgive my horrible in-game messages )

I'm not going to agree or disagree with your post.

But I'd suggest taking a break. Then come back with an improved mood, have fun trying out different builds and laugh-off getting killed. Think about what you could have done differently after each death. Make a new build allowing you to do whatever you decide upon as a counter OR accept that in similar situations you're going to bite it.

$0.02
    @Deepwood and elsewhere
    - Hello Kitty -* Plinka *
    And The Littles
    McBaddie * Chickabowwow * Bigstaff * Bighat * Beergut
    Littlehealz * Littletop * Fireballa * Freedomfries

Considering I saw mages charge in like internet badasses to try and nuke someone 5' away during most of the MM:BG, I'm not sure what a realistic expectation for their survivability should be.

If I were to use that as a case for a survivability adjustment, and then apply it to similar situations, I'd be asking for more survivability for MMs ffs. :/
    Last edited by Kyera; 11-02-2012 at 02:53 AM.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

Soulwalker

yer, I never rage in game and those the know me, know I'm very polite. I have tried and many other mages have too, it just coming to a point when, WE the "mage players" have tried everything..

It now up to Trion to actually address the problem. We are sick of making the best of a bad problem.

I and many others have invested so much time into this game, but feel a little abandoned by the developers..

Then again PVP has been abandoned and it gets second rate attention and development that causes this problem. Seriously if they spent as much time looking at PVP as they did creating pathetic quest lines, PVP would be far better...

But thanks for your comments.
    Last edited by tonyeuxs; 11-02-2012 at 03:03 AM.

Rift Disciple

There are several ways to improve your survivability in the WF's are lower ranks..i do feel your pain I was there climbing the ranks as well. Maybe HIKOS will step in and give some more of his advice...but a few of mine are....

1. Don't lead a charge..you wont survive it.
    2. Target assist the highter ranked players.
    3. Use terrain.
    4. Be a scout if you have to to warn the other players of impending danger.
    5. Roll a healing mage and help keep your teammates alive.
    6. Be a distraction if you have to to keep your flag carrier alive and attention off of him/her I do this quite frequently and I'm rank 50. =)
    7. Remember this is a team effort not a solo one.

There are plenty of great mages out there...belive me I've seen them, fought, beat them, died by them, etc...the mage soul is not in that bad of a state atm..plus we have 10 new levels with some abilities we haven't even had a chance to try out yet. But if you need to, take a break for a bit and come back. I have a ton of fun in the WF's...and as Dakkota always says, "If you ain't dying, you aint trying!"
    Zychariss

Rift Disciple

8. Reroll warrior or rogue. I'm a max gear, p50, max pa mage and after all the work I put into playing my class with full intent from the start of playing pyro. Then have to play through nerfs and buffing of other class's and now trions attempt to balance the class is to change it to a melee class in pvp instead of a nuking class I've called it quits and canceled my account.

Mages are being changed, pet class's getting buffed, but sorry pets suck for pvp so no benefit there. Aoe sux for pvp so little point running aoe anymore unless you like cq, so whats left pyro is dead, go cloro or melee in SL with harbinger.

awww.. the mages now know what it was like to play a cleric for the past 6 months.

but at least you can still dps your way out of a paper bag...
    Quote Originally Posted by Noriega View Post
    You seem to be making excuses for bad changes. Cleric version of battered wife syndrome.

You have two weeks left until Harbinger goes live and Harb/Chloro becomes the flavor-of-the-month-look-at-me-I'm-immortal spec.
    Waiting for Wildstar...

Plane Walker

Stay in the back and you won't die as much.

Yah, I was playing my p35 mage in warfronts last night. I noticed right off my damage was poor. Pyro been nerfed again I suppose. Except for flicker pyro has really no way to escape and if damage is way down it does may you wonder why bother.
    Seastone (All Defiant; All the Time)
    [Seven Sisters] Guera, 70/100 Eth Rogue; Perlita, 70/100 Kelari Magician; Gitana 70 Eth Drugs/Outfits/Rings
    Carmelita 70/100 Eth Rogue Guns/Armor/Runes; Preciosa 70/76 Eth Magician; Chula 70/100 Kelari Rogue Survival

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    You have two weeks left until Harbinger goes live and Harb/Chloro becomes the flavor-of-the-month-look-at-me-I'm-immortal spec.
    Whats the odds Harbinger gets nerfed at twice the speed of sound... unlike certain other things...

You play Dom and control energy/power/mana as well as reflecting damage back, and using your crowd control. It's the least constrained by gear scaling, and mixed with chloro will keep you alive long enough to make an impact.

Unfortunately MM are out of hand at the moment, and they'll make easy fodder of you. Warriors can be drained to uselessness, other casters you can make eat their own damage, and you can force clerics to channel open water instead of healing their team - but you aren't going to be doing much other than LoSing MM until their mobile damage is brought down.
    Currently playing Beermaid lvl 65 War

Speaking as a R50 mage, it took me an incredibly long time to build specs I love playing and are effective, survivability and damage. I don't look past 51dom/15chloro - self heals and massive control.
    If you really want to stop anything in it's tracks just starve it of energy/mana/power. Transference, Traitorous Influence and the new Mana Wrench are your best friends against pretty much any class.
    Reflecting, squirelling, stunning, snaring, draining, silencing, blah blah blah... the list is endless, and you can pretty much do it all with dom. It just takes practise.

When people say "stand at the back" - it really does help a load. People only notice you if you're throwing yourself forward, or unless you have a giant 1 above your head.

If you're finding it hard to escape from players, try and think of the gap openers Trion has given us - Flicker (pyro), Flowing Sand (Archon) and Sever Bonds (elementalist). Use them to your best ability - one thing I like to perform is a Flicker followed by a form of root, be it Storm Shackle or Burning Bonds.

Take advantage of your range. If you spend 5 points in dom you've got yourself an extra 5 meters at your fingertips. Kiting is the epitome of survival. You can't stand still and not expect to be killed instantly (Unless you have ground of strength ).

Utilize your healing. You have plenty - Pyro has a shield that absorbs 50% of damage taken, for up to like 2k-ish. It's actually a really good defense. Elementalist has one too, and so does Chloro. If that's still not enough you can always invest 7 points into Chloro for an instant Bloom.

Don't waste the enemies diminishing returns. Time it all correctly and strategically. I see people who chain CC (for example - a warrior who uses Windspear and then Riftwalk on the next GCD. Pre 1.11, of course) in less than a second, making the target immune to the next CC abilities for the new few seconds. You can sheep, silence, all that great CC stuff to stop an enemy in their actions. You can squirrel someone to interupt, stun someone to build some range and snare/root someone to escape.

I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Pett View Post
    Whats the odds Harbinger gets nerfed at twice the speed of sound... unlike certain other things...
    Well, if we're placing bets, I wager that (if it goes live as it was on Beta 1/2) it lasts at least as long as WL and Puri.
    Waiting for Wildstar...

everyone has troubles till maxed gear and rank, because it is a gear progression game

when maxed is a pvp dps triangle:
    mages kill clerics
    warriors kill mages
    clerics kill warriors

rogues are in the middle of the triangle, depends what they play, melee or range, can make builds versus all the other three, their best choice is melee for universal build vs all

this was before patch , also
    Last edited by Dee Dee; 11-02-2012 at 07:53 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast