+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The State of Mage PVP 1.11

Soulwalker

Default The State of Mage PVP 1.11

With the new changes to resist and crit in 1.11, it seems like dps Mages in pvp have went considerably down the pipe.

They are even more dependent on RNG especially 51 pyro due to our only instant damage "nuke" fulminate damage is related to how many stacks of combust are on the target, the cooldown separation of Fulminate and Cinder Burst procs, hoping a shield is not on the target, and a 20-25% chance to crit.

Any other mage dps callings are highly dependent on pets which are USELESSS in pvp (their health does not scale with ours at all).

Warlock is not viable in warfronts. Dot's are considered "instant cast", therefore their DoT damage is reduced in pvp considerably like Fulminate. Neddra's torture is a a tickle to whoever cleanses.

Now combine these problems with the new RESIST ALL stats, it really does not go too hot for mages in pvp.

Ok, I would be a fan of Resist All, but if a magic defense stat gets a boost for everyone, why not armor? It HAS to balance out, otherwise you are nerfing magic damage.

"but magic damage got a boost since 1.11!"
    Well so did every other class with their physical damage (warrior/rogue)

So why roll a mage where your primary damage abilities require a cast time when you can facetank a whole warfront as a cleric (purifiers), have instant damage abilities that do the same damage as fireball/*insert cast damage ability here* like rogues (MMs), or play a warrior where you can facetank a raid AND actually be a huge threat to anyone u target (warlord)?

I just don't get the logic...Yet mages DO seem the most balanced class in PVE.

I refuse to touch my r50 warrior. I don't know why but it just seems like its "broken".

Quote Originally Posted by Leeyoon View Post
    With the new changes to resist and crit in 1.11, it seems like dps Mages in pvp have went considerably down the pipe.
    It's what rogues/mages had to go through as far as the crit. It is why i hated 1.11 too. I realize it will work fine once we all level to 60 and I suspect the increase of stats will raise *all* callings to around the crit cap where mages/rogues did it easily before, due to the old stat formula. But until we can level up, clerics/warriors crit hardly changed, maybe went up, and rogues/mages crit went down the drain by ~20%+.

Why I didn't want this update out until I can properly integrate my toon into the game state. But meh, just glad SL is closer by the day, because I hate being a part of the mass stress test for beta content that is live Rift too. Stats out of whack, incomplete specs - I feel gross. But hey like 15/16 days till SL . Which means about 17. One does not simply play an MMO on expansion release day.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Soulwalker

Trion is pretty good with customer relations and their product,

so i suspect they had to choose to either

1. slam SL into our face with 10000000000 changes or

2. give us 90% of the class changes before SL hits (which btw is A BIG FREAKIN EXPANSION) and release 1.11 to have us give feedback and tweak classes as much as they can, and later balance it out when SL hits and most of us experience lvl 60.

I realize balancing classes in an mmorpg is like trying to eliminate airbubbles in a newly installed wallpaper only for another airbubble to come up at some other place.

Could be worse:

http://i46.tinypic.com/nv6u4n.jpg

But yeah, on the whole, mage feels pretty lackluster, at least compared to stuff like MM. Not that MM is necessarily where it should be. Should get a lot more clear where mages actually stand once the more questionable classes/builds have been given a thorough examination.

I dunno 51 Dom and 15 pyro is good fun. The amount of instant aoe control is hilaries on groups then just flicker behind my warrior teammates for safety. Hehe
    Intim @ Zaviel EU
    Twitch Channel ,YouTube,Twitter

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax1114 View Post
    Could be worse:

http://i46.tinypic.com/nv6u4n.jpg

But yeah, on the whole, mage feels pretty lackluster, at least compared to stuff like MM. Not that MM is necessarily where it should be. Should get a lot more clear where mages actually stand once the more questionable classes/builds have been given a thorough examination.

Is labrat a mage or what? im confused on your post.

I've topped warfront charts on damage done and im only rank 28 lol. Its not that hard as long as you go either full dominator, or pyro.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeyoon View Post
    Is labrat a mage or what? im confused on your post.

I've topped warfront charts on damage done and im only rank 28 lol. Its not that hard as long as you go either full dominator, or pyro.
    Yeah, purple is mage. 28 killing blows. That was running 51 pyro in whitefall on about the 2nd or 3rd match of my getting reacquainted with 51 pyro in PvP.

Point was, if I can do that without being a prodigy player, then maybe mages aren't as bad off as some seem to think, and just seem worse than they are because of other, overpowered builds/classes.

Make sense?

Also, damage done is an entertaining goal but is ultimately meaningless. I went into one match a week or so ago with 51 dom and got top damage just by spamming my CDs on the stacked enemy team a couple of times. The funny part was that none of them actually died and my team continued to get destroyed. AoE damage is pretty sad now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax1114 View Post
    Point was, if I can do that without being a prodigy player, then maybe mages aren't as bad off as some seem to think, and just seem worse than they are because of other, overpowered builds/classes.
    while i respect your opinion please lets not make balance assumptions based on one WF result.... i can pull the same numbers one WF and get crushed the next one, i m pretty sure if you took a screenshot of all your WF you could find many where your spec/class underperformed too ?
    Last edited by littlepoit; 10-28-2012 at 07:38 PM.

51 dom is the only spec i feel powerful in anymore.
    Kurona
    <Negative Ghostrider>

Quote Originally Posted by littlepoit View Post
    while i respect your opinion please lets not make balance assumptions based on one WF result.... i can pull the same numbers one WF and get crushed the next one, i m pretty sure if you took a screenshot of all your WF you could find many where your spec/class underperformed too ?
    Wasn't assuming anything. Just speculating and using my limited data to influence my speculations.

+ Reply to Thread