+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tromped

Thread: Mage Single Target PVP DPS

Soulwalker

Default Mage Single Target PVP DPS

Where is it?

Warriors can crit with discharge for 7k on me as a p42 geared mage. I can crit them with full stacks for 2k with cinderburst wtf?? They wear plate armor and are quite tough to take down. Rogues can crit very quickly back to back to back 2-3k with average gear. As it stands, it seems that i am tied to being an AOE dps'er as a full DOM or chloro healer.

Please give us a single target nuking spec that we stand a chance of killing someone in!
    PollyAnna - Seastone R8 Rogue
    Tromped - Seastone R8 Mage

You don't like fulminate non-crits landing for 1.2k?

The amount of resistance, IS TO DAMN HIGH!
    it is not enough these days to question authority, you gotta speak with it too

I had a Fulm crit me yesterday for 3.2k. I thought that was pretty legit.

Quote Originally Posted by LOveRH View Post
    I had a Fulm crit me yesterday for 3.2k. I thought that was pretty legit.
    Something something get Valor. ;)
    Last edited by Topology; 10-27-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Topology View Post
    Something something get Valor. ;)
    I had full rank 50 gear lol. It was the first time i saw it crit for that high .

Telaran

Warriors need some love! Can't kill anything in wf...

There are some mages that light me up something fierce, but they are few and far between.

I think something needs to be tuned up a bit -- either that, or bubbling needs to be tuned down as do MM/WL dps.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

For Fulminate to actually hit hard, you have to have at least 5x Flame Sigil, 5x Combust and have it Crit. It takes perfect timing and a lot of setup on a specific person to make it work, not to mention pray to the RNG gods for a Crit. It's like old school Lightning Burst, except it takes more time and hits for less.
    Eclipze @ Retired Raider
    Mage Extraodinaire
    PVE <The Grubs> | <Thantos Gallanos Xantos>
    PVP <Terrible Idea>

Honestly i wouldnt bother going dps now, alot of classes have instant burst or very little time to set up and hits harder than anything we can do right now. 51 pyro cast times feel like an age to do very little damage whilst you are being interrupted/silenced/yanked about and 51 ele completely relies on the pet so once it dies your not doing much till its back, just go chloro and heal like a boss ;)

Hotfix #3 was a great step in addressing the issues with Pyromancer and I certainly feel like pyro does have some good burst potential. Generally i'm hitting anywhere from 2.2k non crit fulminates to 3.5k-4k crits with 5x combust. Prime is pretty much essential for getting a good combo off (Combust is really RNG to apply normally and suspectible to dispelling). Unfortunately I only have about 21% crit chance base, down from 40% in 1.10 so it can feel RNG at times.

I do think Pyro's sustained damage is a bit on the low side, considering my average fireball crit is around 1.1k compared to bolt of retribution's 1.7k crits, and flame bolt crits for maybe 900.

It would be really nice to see more varied DPS orientated mage specs in PvP too like stormcaller or warlock aswell, as hotfix #3 only affected pyro. Globally I think mage damage is too low in PvP because resistances are so high now (roughly 40% damage reduction). Also i'm kinda sad they removed Reconstruct, Shadow life and Wither from the Warlock line, as they were all highly useful spells.

That all said, I am running 51 pyro on a regular basis now (rather then healing) and while it can hold its weight most of the time, you do have to work harder then any other class to achieve similar or less results. Anyway, thats my 2c. :)

I haven't bothered with 51 Pyro since 1.11, it's too weak now. Fulminate isn't worth it anymore. You need to go Pyrolock for the 20% resist pierce(highest possible damage multiplier as well), or pyrodom for the huge spellpower boost. I've done well with both those.

http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

I love Pyro to death, but I find myself playing it less and less post 1.11. Honestly, with everything off cooldown, you can take down just about anything as 51 pyro. You just don't have much power after that, compared to everyone else. It's not awful, certainly better than before the pyro hotfix, but it's nothing like the power I felt pre 1.11 patch.

The real problem I see though, if you can even call it a problem, is the fact that dom is so much more powerful and versatile than pyro in existing PvP elements. You have infinitely more control and healer hate options (You can drain a healer from 100% to 0% mana in 10 seconds flat, pretty fun), and as long as there is more than one target your damage is going to far outpace pyro. Which, unfortunately, is all PVP. Without arena or anything more competitive, PvP is always big groups of people running around and stacking up, which is Dominator heaven.

After playing Dom for awhile this patch, I just can't justify swapping back to Pyro. It would hurt my team too much, I lose so much effectiveness just for playstyle preference. Kind of sad.
    Last edited by Patchouli; 10-28-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Aezariel ~ P50 - 8/8 ID

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by lol r u mad View Post
    I haven't bothered with 51 Pyro since 1.11, it's too weak now. Fulminate isn't worth it anymore. You need to go Pyrolock for the 20% resist pierce(highest possible damage multiplier as well), or pyrodom for the huge spellpower boost. I've done well with both those.
    Quoted for truth

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Tromped View Post
    Where is it?

Warriors can crit with discharge for 7k on me as a p42 geared mage. I can crit them with full stacks for 2k with cinderburst wtf?? They wear plate armor and are quite tough to take down. Rogues can crit very quickly back to back to back 2-3k with average gear. As it stands, it seems that i am tied to being an AOE dps'er as a full DOM or chloro healer.

Please give us a single target nuking spec that we stand a chance of killing someone in!
    Mages have ranged dps so do not have to deal with disconnects. If you compare to warriors mages have a strong edge. In the warfronts I have been in Mages have done very well in damage. So your claim of mages doing poor dps is factually incorrect and your comparison to warrior is miss guided.

Your statement is not true.
    Last edited by Majorin; 10-28-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorin View Post
    Mages have ranged dps so do not have to deal with disconnects.
    Meh, neither do 48WL specs

If you compare to warriors mages have a strong edge.
    Now you are just trolling or insanely obtuse. 48WL much?

In the warfronts I have been in Mages have done very well in damage.
    Compared to who? Clerics?

So your claim of mages doing poor dps is factually incorrect and your comparison to warrior is miss guided.
    Your statement is not true.
    You are terribly misguided if you think Mages, or ANY other class can compete with warriors right now. You probably think 8k crits on full valor targets are balanced.

Oh yea, **** of mage threads, since we aren't allowed in Warrior threads.
    Eclipze @ Retired Raider
    Mage Extraodinaire
    PVE <The Grubs> | <Thantos Gallanos Xantos>
    PVP <Terrible Idea>

+ Reply to Thread