Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Work with us to NOT give us Arenas!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Thedarkside View Post
    Oh I'm sorry I miss read your post then I didn't take not of the dm in their. But doesn't that sound fun lol. Like a 2v2 with your friends or your guilds 5 man or 3 man groups all just for bragging rights and maybe the best teams get vanity gear.
    Exactly, which is why its a complete waste of development time and money. Its nothing more then a QQ playground.

Mark my words if Trion allowed people to flag their dimensions as PvP so people could still do arena type style with who they choose it wouldn't be good enough in the eyes of the arena fan boys.

Its not open enough for them to puff their chest out. It has to be known, and something that "could" be entered by anyone so this "mock pvp" turns into nothing more then an epeen display by the PvPers who get face rolled in WFs.

I can assure you there would be "some" mock matches for fun, no differrent then the occasional dual. Other then that they would just be on stand by waiting for other noobs.

If SL allowed flagged dimensions for PvP so people could simulate arenas, then in the eyes of these guys it wouldn't be what they wanted. But what they are asking for and what they want are simply two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanox View Post
    Exactly, which is why its a complete waste of development time and money. Its nothing more then a QQ playground.

Mark my words if Trion allowed people to flag their dimensions as PvP so people could still do arena type style with who they choose it wouldn't be good enough in the eyes of the arena fan boys.

Its not open enough for them to puff their chest out. It has to be known, and something that "could" be entered by anyone so this "mock pvp" turns into nothing more then an epeen display by the PvPers who get face rolled in WFs.

I can assure you there would be "some" mock matches for fun, no differrent then the occasional dual. Other then that they would just be on stand by waiting for other noobs.

If SL allowed flagged dimensions for PvP so people could simulate arenas, then in the eyes of these guys it wouldn't be what they wanted. But what they are asking for and what they want are simply two different things.
    You understand you don't need to do them right?

I hate all of you.

Rift Chaser

No, but that is because I am not pretending we roflstomping 100% of the WFs we get queued for to get arenas lol. I don't care who you or your 5 man premade is, WF provides the dynamics sometimes in your favor and sometimes not in your favor to where its a pain to win and yes even sometimes lose! That is the element people don't like and that is why they fan boi arenas!

If you are wanting a completely random arena where you do not choose your opponent then it does not solve the problem. If you "supposedly" win 100% of the time then an arena will not change that.
    Please post your name in game.
    Marduke

It's pretty awesome that Rift doesn't have Arena.

Keep up the good work Trion. Don't listen to these little "professional cyberathlete" wannabes!!!
    Eclipze @ Retired Raider
    Mage Extraodinaire
    PVE <The Grubs> | <Thantos Gallanos Xantos>
    PVP <Terrible Idea>

Plane Touched

arenas would be fun!!!! just deathmach! sometime bored of wf's quests need something different! having more options is better every time!

Ascendant

#1 They are pointless, you cannot give favor or prestige for them or friends farm friends.

#2 It is simply a waste of Trion's development time/funds.

#3 You can test your PvP specs in Warfronts. It is okay to not be top dps/hps/KB during this process lol.

#4 If you want to avoid the larger groups that the current Warfronts provide then PvP is probably not for you so.. look at #2 again please.

#5 Want to group against friends and guildies? Queue up as groups of two and queue at the same time. Most of the time the groups of two are paired against each other! It don't always work that way? Well did you think you would have the arenas to yourself the whole time?

#6 The previous games I have played Arenas get a bad rep quickly. You normally have maxed leveled/geared/Alternate Exp players standing there with their epeens in their hands salivating for the shot at some noob stepping over the PvP line. At that point you might as well hand out bear costumes and park an ice cream truck inside while you're at it.

I hope Trion does not consider arenas, it truly is a waste of time. Only way I would agree with the idea is if they add an option to the dimension where you can make your dimension flag visitors as PvP. Then you arena wannabes can keep the bear costumes and ice cream trucks out of public sight =)

Not only that IMO most of the people crying out for one will then turn around and cry out on how it was not done correctly, at least if they can flag their own dimensions as PvP that would eliminate more of the arena drama! Hard to complain about something they built.
    competitive 5vs5 premade vs. premade and/or guild vs. guild pvp has ONLY positive effects, especially for casual players and the pve players doing pvp as side fun.

Why cant you guys see that doing something for premades and guild will PULL THEM OF of your casual warfronts?

RIFT Guide Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Thedarkside View Post
    How about this make arenas optional. Rewards that are purely cosmetic and don't balance the game around arenas. Just have them be a fun little waste of time. This way people who DO NOT WANT TO DO ARENAS do not have to and if they still complain about arenas even though they don't have to do them well that makes them look like complete arseholes.
    Arena would be an option. The people who don't want it are people who truly are awful at PvP. If they were asked to participate in Arena, others would see how terrible they are. I honestly want Storm Legion to fail. Why? I love to PvP and PvP in Rift is **** , the mindless grind we have is old. I'd rather use a bot instead of waste time on a monotonous task that is not challenging or fun.

BTW

This thread will be locked soon. Why? This discussion is already being held in the "Work with us for Arena" thread.
    Last edited by ChrisN; 10-27-2012 at 03:31 AM.

All of you guys are so cute... Arena or Not you will still see that Trion is still going no where with pvp, it's the same like any other patch that comes out. New Warfronts, New Prestige Level, New changes on PvP, OH LETS GIVE THEM MORE PRESTIGE GEAR TO WORK ON!!!!!. WELCOME TO PVP!!!!

honestly, crying or asking trion is pretty useless. Good Luck tho.

Got into a heated debate about this last night, but I'll tl;dr my viewpoint in this thread.

* Arenas/ranked systems should not be necessary for people who claim to want them for "good" or "fair" fights to be able to get them -- the coddling and need for e-peen waggling numbers is a reflection of the terrible state of the current PvP climate in the genre.
    * That being said, I have no inherent opposition to arenas/ranked systems (ranked WFs, challenge-based ladders, whatever) conceptually, contrary to popular belief. My beefs lie with the ****ty community and the cost-benefit analysis of Trion introducing arenas. Why?
    * I do not believe there is enough population that would have an interest in arenas -- currently or going forward -- to justify any development expense into putting such a system into place three, six, or twelve months (whenever development would finish). Even at Rift's supposed PvP population "peak" (before the supposedly "good" PvP people quit after they hit P6 and had no carrot to chase), premade queue pops were a rarity and it wasn't uncommon for people to dodge a challenging fight. I have seen nothing to convince me that this is no longer the case.
    * If there is enough of a population to demonstrate interest, there should be more visibility than one civil thread where six or seven people continually say there is "totally tons of interest". If there is such a tangible portion of the community seeking competitive, ranked, play-against-the-best PvP, premade queues should probably be popping within an hour and we should see more open world warfare/skirmishes on PvP and/or PvE servers. WT's 5v5 invitation has still not been accepted by anyone, afaik.

If a convincing display of interest can be made, particularly something that would justify Trion's dedication of resources to the infrastructure's creation, I am not opposed to that. I just don't think there is, and I think it's a ******* lazy excuse to say that's why people don't engage in "competitive" PvP.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

Ascendant

i dont care about rewards just give us 5vs5 FIGHT! make it no reward make it cost 5000 fervor whatever so the whining ends finally.

I have yet to see a reasonable argument as to why Trion should not implement organized competitive pvp if it doesn't offer rewards or effect other aspects of the game.

I just want a fun little practice realm where people can play with who they want just for fun with friends or over guild rivalries over teams and guilds. Why should I be forced to play with randoms I don't want to play with?

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
    It's pretty awesome that Rift doesn't have Arena.

Keep up the good work Trion. Don't listen to these little "professional cyberathlete" wannabes!!!
    People like Eclipze spew praise over the fact Trion continues to waste money developing the current state of how bad the " carrot on a stick " pvp grind and offer nothing constructive at all. I want to be a "cyberathlete" if I want some competition? or play with who I want? I can't imagine the amount of QQ you would spew if you could only have random party and raid members for PvE.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyera View Post
    My beefs lie with the ****ty community and the cost-benefit analysis of Trion introducing arenas. Why?

* I do not believe there is enough population that would have an interest in arenas -- currently or going forward -- to justify any development expense into putting such a system into place three, six, or twelve months (whenever development would finish).

Even at Rift's supposed PvP population "peak" (before the supposedly "good" PvP people quit after they hit P6 and had no carrot to chase)

WT's 5v5 invitation has still not been accepted by anyone, afaik.
    Kyera do you know the pvp community and what's different about them compared to the PvE community? I could argue large portion of the raiding PvE community are drunkard lazy overaged elders who sit around waiting for the much more active, much more skilled hardcore guilds to release dozens of guides on how to complete every fight and raid mechanic.

~ It's NOT true progression if you look up every strategy, get a head start in BETA testing or even discuss strategies with other guilds before clearing the content yourself and have it on farm. I challenger your ( anyone ) guild to progress as a guild if you don't do so already, or you can continue to hold SO's hand for the rest of your raiding days. That's just how i like to experience raiding. For the majority of the pve community.

I could blindly assume that makes up the whole PvE community like you do but guess what, it doesn't. So quit the blanket statement by calling the pvp community ****ty because I bet you don't know half of the people who make it up or that a large portion of the PvE community makes up the pvp community as well. Just goes to show what type of person you are.

Now tell me why did the supposedly "good" pvp people quit? Do you even know why?

Trion can easily, easily implement mock pvp at the fraction of the cost it takes them to develop new gear models, prestige levels, new warfronts etc that people are just sick and tired of. So don't bring up cost because it's nearly non-existent. Present to me a reasonable argument.

Mock battles would have an absurd amount of replay-ability like league of legends private matches. Groups of friends just hop in to have fun without having to get rolled by premades in warfronts. More competitive guilds and teams can face each other on a level playing field without be held back by people who just want to level or afk, troll or just can't pvp.

If it offers now rewards whatsoever, takes almost no cost to develop and barely any time because they already have the tools and it doesn't effect other aspects of the game. Then why would Trion not want to do this, because you hate pvp? Enlighten me.

TL;DR? Just read, it's not that hard
    Last edited by Delmlord; 10-27-2012 at 04:58 AM.
    Rehashed, reskinned content =/= Exciting new content
    Retired from Rift thanks to Square E getting their stuff together

why can't we just have group open world duels?

Quote Originally Posted by Extrasens0ry View Post
    why can't we just have group open world duels?
    Exactly. Trion goes out of there way to waste development time and money trying to force people to pvp together and grind for gear.

(If it offers no* rewards whatsoever) Edit for previous post.
    Rehashed, reskinned content =/= Exciting new content
    Retired from Rift thanks to Square E getting their stuff together

Quote Originally Posted by Delmlord View Post
    Exactly. Trion goes out of there way to waste development time and money trying to force people to pvp together and grind for gear.

I honestly don't think it would be that much of a job to do as compared to setting up this whole arena thing. We clearly don't need it.

I would say, have a group of 1-5 people have the option to duel another group of 1-5 people. It would eliminate the risk of flagging in open world and being attacked by some random bystander, that's for sure...

edit: typos.
    Last edited by Extrasens0ry; 10-27-2012 at 05:09 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast