+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sticking with Clairvoyant's set + crystal vs moving on to Soothsayer's

Default Sticking with Clairvoyant's set + crystal vs moving on to Soothsayer's

I'm a mage wearing a complete set of Clairvoyant's gears minus the synergy crystal since I'm only rank 15. I have enough favor right now to upgrade two pieces to Soothsayer's, and I estimate by the time I'm rank 19 for the synergy crystal I can have five or six pieces of Soothsayer's if not the complete set. By the time I reach rank 40 for Soothsayer's synergy crystal I can probably have the entire next set.

Anyone think it's worth sticking with Clairvoyant's with the synergy crystal vs moving on to Soothsayer's without it? If I move on to full Soothsayer's I gain:

58 intelligence
    42 endurance
    a little more +spell crit and power

If I stick with Clairvoyant's + synergy crystal I gain:
    42 endurance
    50 spell power
    50 vengeance
    (effective +100 spell power vs players).

or I can keep 4 pieces of Clairvoyant's + synergy crystal and upgrade the rest to Soothsayer's. I don't know exactly which pieces but I know the ring would be one. That seems the best choice to me and is probably what I will do. Maybe I'll keep the robe, shoulders, hat and gloves and upgrade the rest.

Part of me asking this question is wondering why in the world the synergy crystals require such a high rank considering how you can acquire the entire set many ranks earlier? I've had a full set of Clairvoyant's for a few ranks now, and Soothsayer's requiring rank 40 seems way over the top.

do your jewelry first as it won't affect the crystal.

then just skip the crystal when you get to Soothsayers, and gather favour for the next set up.

well that's what i've done.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Not sure about set names, but I have a similar issue with rank 50 gear.

I'm currently at rank 45 and have upgraded everything I can except four T2 pieces so I can keep using my T2 Synergy Crystal. However, if I upgrade those last four pieces, my crystal will become useless and I can't upgrade that. Not until rank 50.

What's the idea? Play rank 45-50 without a synergy crystal at all? Or just cap out on favor and let it go to waste until I reach rank 50?
    Last edited by Beringer; 10-23-2012 at 02:57 PM.

I'm an altoholic: Thirteen 60 clerics, eleven 60 rogues, eleven 60 warriors, five 60 mages, etc...

Champion

Step 1: Buy 3 pieces of the new gear you want and equip. That leaves 4 of old gear so you still get the synergy crystal bonus.

Step 2: Buy upgraded synergy crystal. Dont equip it yet.

Step 3: Buy 1 new piece of gear and swap out the synergy crystal you bough at step 2.

Problem solved

Or just buy trinket, rings, and weapons and skip above
    Last edited by Gnut; 10-23-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlice View Post
    do your jewelry first as it won't affect the crystal.

then just skip the crystal when you get to Soothsayers, and gather favour for the next set up.

well that's what i've done.
    Skip the crystal? See I'm at soothsayer's right now and I'm only rank 15. Rank 19 is the clairvoyant crystal, rank 40 is the soothsayer crystal. The crystal requirements are out of whack.

Quote Originally Posted by Beringer View Post
    Not sure about set names, but I have a similar issue with rank 50 gear.

I'm currently at rank 45 and have upgraded everything I can except four T2 pieces so I can keep using my T2 Synergy Crystal. However, if I upgrade those last four pieces, my crystal will become useless and I can't upgrade that. Not until rank 50.

What's the idea? Play rank 45-50 without a synergy crystal at all? Or just cap out on favor and let it go to waste until I reach rank 50?
    That's exactly what I'm thinking.

I'm also thinking that since synergy crystal requirements are so out of whack with the rest of the sets that it's probably best to keep four pieces of the previous set + the synergy crystal and upgrade the rest of the gear, like jewelry as Charlice said). It's stupid to keep the entire current set until you're ready for the next crystal (in a mage's case keeping the clairvoyant set until rank 40 which is frankly a ridiculous requirement for the soothsayer's crystal) because you only need four pieces, and it also doesn't seem wise to give up the crystal's synergy bonus.

I don't know. I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Nargauzius; 10-23-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnut View Post
    Step 1: Buy 3 pieces of the new gear you want and equip. That leaves 4 of old gear so you still get the synergy crystal bonus.

Step 2: Buy upgraded synergy crystal. Dont equip it yet.

Step 3: Buy 1 new piece of gear and swap out the synergy crystal you bough at step 2.

Problem solved

Or just buy trinket, rings, and weapons and skip above
    The problem is the rank requirements for the crystal. I'm rank 15 and already have enough favor to buy two of the next tier pvp gear, and by rank 19 (the requirement for my current set's crystal) I'll have enough for something like five or six pieces. I can't buy my current gear's crystal for another four ranks and I can't buy the next tier's crystal (the tier I'm ready to upgrade to) for another twenty five ranks. So unfortunately step 2 is impossible, and that's exactly the problem. Step 1 I'm planning to do when I reach rank 19, and it seems I will be stuck at step 1 until I reach rank 40. That's a huge amount of time.

Basically it's this: I've had my current complete set since like rank 12, and I can't get it's crystal until rank 19. When I reach rank 19 and can get the crystal, I'll have enough favor for almost the entire next set, and I can't get that next set's crystal until rank 40. 40! The requirements are totally out of whack. It's strange that the game forces you to mix-and-match sets like this because of crystal requirements that are beyond it's set.

Having rank requirements for the synergy crystals is just stupid. My Mage is R36 right now, and has a full set of the T2 PvP gear, including all the weapons and PvP essences. Even with buying all the jewelry first, I'm going to easily have a full suit of the T3 PvP armour long before I get to R50.

And I have to buy it, or lose favour given the 150,000 point cap.

Whatever Dev thought it would be a great idea to take rank requirements off of the PvP armour, but leave them on the synergy crystals is not the brightest star in the sky. The rank requirements need to be taken off the crystals ASAP.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Nargauzius View Post
    The problem is the rank requirements for the crystal. I'm rank 15 and already have enough favor to buy two of the next tier pvp gear, and by rank 19 (the requirement for my current set's crystal) I'll have enough for something like five or six pieces. I can't buy my current gear's crystal for another four ranks and I can't buy the next tier's crystal (the tier I'm ready to upgrade to) for another twenty five ranks. So unfortunately step 2 is impossible, and that's exactly the problem. Step 1 I'm planning to do when I reach rank 19, and it seems I will be stuck at step 1 until I reach rank 40. That's a huge amount of time.

Basically it's this: I've had my current complete set since like rank 12, and I can't get it's crystal until rank 19. When I reach rank 19 and can get the crystal, I'll have enough favor for almost the entire next set, and I can't get that next set's crystal until rank 40. 40! The requirements are totally out of whack. It's strange that the game forces you to mix-and-match sets like this because of crystal requirements that are beyond it's set.

I have always been max ranked when the new tier's came out so that wasn't really a problem when i was grinding but I see what you mean now. I guess the best thing to do in general is skip the crystal every other tier, or go without a crystal at all and grind to R50 before SL
    Last edited by Gnut; 10-23-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Telaran

what would the recommendation be for a sub 50 and gear? i do not get to play a lot and my mage is only L44. i level in the wfs, so i can earn favor, for gear but should i even bother with the pvp gear now or wait until SL? i already have the tormentor pieces.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Hubris003 View Post
    what would the recommendation be for a sub 50 and gear? i do not get to play a lot and my mage is only L44. i level in the wfs, so i can earn favor, for gear but should i even bother with the pvp gear now or wait until SL? i already have the tormentor pieces.
    Last I heard Ranks weren't going to reset so you should at least try to rank up in Prestige as much as you can once you reach lvl 50. Maybe just keep earning favor and save it for SL. You already get bolstered so if you don't plan to hit R50 just save your favor til max cap and buy gear right before you hit favor cap and keep doing it that way. Unless somethings change recently
    Last edited by Gnut; 10-23-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Nargauzius View Post
    Skip the crystal? See I'm at soothsayer's right now and I'm only rank 15. Rank 19 is the clairvoyant crystal, rank 40 is the soothsayer crystal. The crystal requirements are out of whack.

I don't know. I could be wrong.
    Rank 31 is the Soothsayer's Crystal; rank 40 is the Soothsayer's Avenger Crystal, or something: that's a specific Rank 40 crystal, and an upgrade to the Rank 31 crystal.

as someone else said:

* buy jewellery
    * buy weapons (you can get them at Rank 25; you'll need them to get the highest rank weapons, even if you're currently using better PvE weapons)
    * buy the Rank 31 crystal early, as soon as you've got the spare favour
    * buy the Conquest trinket (or: buy the introductory PvP trinket, if you haven't already got it).

By the time you hit Rank 31, you should be able to have bought: all 3 weapons (from Rank 25), the trinket, the synergy crystal, 3 pieces of armour *and* have enough favour to buy the fourth piece as soon as you hit Rank 31.

It's unusual to have excess-favour problems in the Ranks below 40; I've had problems at the high 40's with having too much favour and not wanting to break the synergy crystal bonus, but never at lower ranks.
    Last edited by Naesraen; 10-24-2012 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naesraen View Post
    Rank 31 is the Soothsayer's Crystal; rank 40 is the Soothsayer's Avenger Crystal, or something: that's a specific Rank 40 crystal, and an upgrade to the Rank 31 crystal.

as someone else said:

* buy jewellery
    * buy weapons (you can get them at Rank 25; you'll need them to get the highest rank weapons, even if you're currently using better PvE weapons)
    * buy the Conquest trinket (or: buy the introductory PvP trinket, if you haven't already got it).

By the time you hit Rank 31, you should be able to have bought: all 3 weapons (from Rank 25), the trinket, the synergy crystal, 3 pieces of armour *and* have enough favour to buy the fourth piece as soon as you hit Rank 31.

It's unusual to have excess-favour problems in the Ranks below 40; I've had problems at the high 40's with having too much favour and not wanting to break the synergy crystal bonus, but never at lower ranks.
    Ok you're right there's a rank 31 crystal I missed. That does help but it's still 12 ranks after I can buy the previoius tier's crystal, and by then I'll probably be upgrading to overseer's. I'm sitting on 85k favor right now at rank 16. That's almost both pieces of soothsayer's jewelry, at rank 16.

I guess I can spend favor on PA instead of upgrading my gear, but it doesn't seem efficient. I was nearly at the favor cap in a CQ over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Naesraen View Post

as someone else said:

* buy jewellery

That may have been true before, but it isn't any more.

By R35 on my Mage, I had a complete set of T2 gear, the CQ trinket, and a Battlemaster Sigil with the 3 purple OotE essences. As soon as I hit R36 I was able to get my R36 sword and totem immediately, and a warfont later I had the R36 wand as well.

I will easily be able to afford all the T3 jewelry before I hit R40, and after that all I will be able to buy is the T3 armour, or PA XP crystals.

It is bad design to have no rank restrictions on the armour, but to have rank restrictions on the crystals. The rank requirements need to be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by -Shiva- View Post
    It is bad design to have no rank restrictions on the armour, but to have rank restrictions on the crystals. The rank requirements need to be removed.
    I think it's ok to have rank restriction on crystals - that's not the real problem. But old crystals need to still work with higher tier gear. The root problem with them is that they turn into useless junk if you upgrade your other gear. Trion can fix that.
    Last edited by Beringer; 10-24-2012 at 10:19 AM.

I'm an altoholic: Thirteen 60 clerics, eleven 60 rogues, eleven 60 warriors, five 60 mages, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by -Shiva- View Post
    That may have been true before, but it isn't any more.

By R35 on my Mage, I had a complete set of T2 gear, the CQ trinket, and a Battlemaster Sigil with the 3 purple OotE essences. As soon as I hit R36 I was able to get my R36 sword and totem immediately, and a warfont later I had the R36 wand as well.

I will easily be able to afford all the T3 jewelry before I hit R40, and after that all I will be able to buy is the T3 armour, or PA XP crystals.

or at least lowered to a requirement that's more in line with when you can acquire 4 pieces of the corresponding set. I had 4 pieces of clairvoyant's very early on and only today got the crystal, and I've already upgraded two pieces to soothsayer's and am ready to upgrade more. I'm only rank 19.

+ Reply to Thread