+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Conquest - The peoples verdict

Default Conquest - The peoples verdict

Recently I took to the streets of Rift and asked you the people what you thought of Conquest. Here's some of your comments.

"My doctor now prescribes Rift Conquest to all his patients as a cure for Insomnia"

"We found my cousin at 8am this morning. We believe he lapsed into a coma after playing 9 hours of conquest. His mind just gave up."

"I ate my own hands after six hours of a never ending conquest"

All joking aside I can see what the intention is with conquest. You want people to defend extractors and upgrade them. You want people to no longer fight zerg vs zerg. You want to make it much harder for raiding partys to take extractors. You want people to tactically take extractors.

You've created a pvp map for a community that doesn't exist.

The community consists of zergers rushing from point to point capping with little thought. You've took this zerg mentality and tried to punish them by slowing the pace down and trying to force them to use tactics. It hasn't worked.

Sit on an extractor and defend it. You can spend 10-20 minutes defending an extractor without any pvp action. Result - boredom.

Zerg vs Zerg. Nobody dies or people die very very slowly. Result - boredom.

Taking extractors. Extractors have alot of health, nobody is there. Takes a while to kill. Result - boredom.

PVE players are forced to play conquest weekly to keep their bonus attributes. If it wasn't for this I seriously doubt anybody would play Conquest. As I'm typing this now, conquest has been going on for 2 hours 30 minutes and there's still 2400 kills to go.

Whoever was responsible and the continued development of conquest has completely missed the mark.

The only way I could ever see conquest being fun would be to reduce the number of extractors and add an extractor inside a keep that can be reinforced along with an extractor outside the keep. The keep itself would be allowed to add gates and defenses that could be used by the defenders.

That's just one suggestion which would be better than the current situation we have. Anyway, I'm sure we'll have the fanboys come out and defend conquest because they believe any negative comments about the game must be about them aswell.

So what's peoples two cents on conquest?

My 2c is...It's just not my thing but I do it when I need the CQ power.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    My 2c is...It's just not my thing but I do it when I need the CQ power.
    Same, I just pop in if I'm not doing anything else to keep myself above 195k . . . other than this I pretty much ignore it now that I have my trinkets.

I do not know what you mean by CQ power or the 195K thing, but I gave up on CQ fairly quickly as I got tired of running around circles killing extractors.

Shorten the time.

Don't let anyone in with 15 mins to play.

And fix the rest.

Thanks
    Penguin
    Beware the Penguin...

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Geopenguin View Post
    I do not know what you mean by CQ power or the 195K thing, but I gave up on CQ fairly quickly as I got tired of running around circles killing extractors.

Shorten the time.

Don't let anyone in with 15 mins to play.

And fix the rest.

Thanks
    Penguin
    Conquest power is gained from capping extractors, at the end of conquest, and through killing players (I think still . . . ). If you have over 185K you gain 6% AP/SP and 6% Health for PVE. It decays over your play time though so you have to keep going in to CQ to keep it up or you lose one of the best, easiest, and guaranteed PVE buffs in the game.

Well I don't like it, but I'm stuck doing it to get gear. I've finished one toon, got two more to go. Need about 1000 marks I think. Ugh

There's a good side to conquest though. It's bringing new blood into warfronts. At least that's my guess based on the fact people are marking the map in Codex (don't know where to go! lol) and words of CQ wisdom like, "never retreat ever" spoken to a Marksman.
    @Deepwood and elsewhere
    - Hello Kitty -* Plinka *
    And The Littles
    McBaddie * Chickabowwow * Bigstaff * Bighat * Beergut
    Littlehealz * Littletop * Fireballa * Freedomfries

Rift Disciple

I am not sure about the purpose of conquest? You win by other owning 65% of the extractors or killing 5k players? Someone said to me.
    2 teams with alot players and the third without any chance running around zerging extractors and then occasionally killing eachother.

Feels really dull for having such a huge potentional.

Read, and hopefully like and bump, my awesome wall of text new Conquest game type post.~

Even if you don't like the crazy new concepts introduced (the constructs/vehicles), at least leave your thoughts on the core game type without them.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ne-quarry.html

I think it got buried under all the 1.11 qq threads.
    Last edited by Kyera; 10-22-2012 at 02:57 PM.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

I came back to the game recently and even more recently I join Conquest (like.... 2 days?) at first I was confused but reading up and doing it a few times you get what you need to do or what happens.
    I actually enjoy Conquest and I think it's a fine idea, however there are a few things I don't like:

1. Apparently you do get no rewards at all for carrying the sourcestone to an extractor or for arming turrets. People should really get favor prestige and all that for upgrading an extractor as well as arming turrets bc a) in some conquests you hardly have ANYONE doing one or the other and b) give an incentive bc I often wonder "Why are we capping this extractor in the first place if we don't defend it and then also not upgrade it". Sure, against a horde of enemy faction players an upgraded extractor isn't very helpful but it's the "Ninja" 1-3 man groups that can be slowed down or discouraged altogether to cap one.
    2. I read that in SL kill reward range is reduced to 100m. Gaaaaah, I've spent so much time in Conquests crawling over the map with the sourcestone, visible for everyone, scared for my life that I'm gonna be hacked down bc of course nobody assists me and the only joy I have while I'm crawling towards the extractor is that now and then I get a bit prestige and favor bc my team killed someone. Why take that away Just bc I'm not where the horde is doesn't mean I'm not contributing! I feel discouraged myself ...
    3. Faction balance. Is there any? Seriously. My first Conquest ever I joined Dominion (EU realm) and we won which was obviously a novelty bc since then it's always Nightfall winning and they just seem to have a huge mass of players. I thought players are "distributed" equally among the factions? The other night I joined Conquest, again as Dominion, and I was the only one for that faction! There were maybe 4 Oathsworn but 15 Nightfall players. 15 compared to my 1... I don't understand, why can 15 people join Nightfall when nobody has joined Dominion or Oathsworn, shouldn't there be some kind of lock or restriction in place? Yes, the match was over quickly and yes that way I managed to quickly tag the idols and get my ISS and conquest marks in maybe 10min, but it's not very conquest-y...

Also what I do not quite understand is the phase where 3 bosses spawn. What has happened here, I don't get it, why are they there all of a sudden? And why just 3? And why aren't the planes sending more of these the longer a Conquest match goes on? I played a 3-4 hour conquest today and thought maybe more of these 7mio hp monsters will appear, forcing players to ... do something other than capping extractors in circles, I dunno but the planes did not send more troops... I'm confused by this.

Last but not least I really hope Conquest will get some castle defense / siege gameplay. I 'm normally not a "this game had this and that game had that so I want it in the game I play at the moment too"-kinda person, but if a siege gameplay as Warhammer had it could make it into Rift I would be so happy, I just loved defending and attacking XD It would certainly help with the excitement AND we would be in a 100m range from each other I guess

Castle defense / siege gameplay would be fantastic. It was my favorite part of Dark Age Of Camelot. It was awesome to deploy rams or catapults to break into the castle, or deploy your own defensive catapults to stop the siege.

Conquest is sort of bland. I play it but it gets boring fast. You run around capping extractors and occasionally run into another zerg and fight. That's it.

If it were more like Port Scion or had castle defense / siege - or just had more to do overall - I think a lot of people would want to play it instead of feeling like they have to.

(I loathe to admit it, but I really enjoyed WoW's Wintergrasp and that BG with the huge siege engines and defense guns where you break through walls. Classic epic Alterac Valley matches were great too. Rift can and should go above and beyond all of that. Most of the mechanics are already in game, they just need to be brought together in an epic conquest-style match.)

Oh, and Conquest also needs to start assigning people to random teams instead of letting them choose. There is no need for choice that I can see, and as it stands (at least on my BG) one team dominates over 90% of the time. You queue for Conquest, it assigns you to a team at random, and you go from there. Promote a true three-way battle instead of one team dominating and the other teams joining just for the free rewards at the end.
    Last edited by Nargauzius; 10-23-2012 at 08:46 AM.

I agree with the OP and Conquest is very bland, I would rather stab myself under my nails with pins than play conquest unless forced to for my bonus.

I just worry about CQ's bonuses affecting everything, even WF's and raids. Before someone says 'you can just not do it', it isn't that simple when thrown into a game were progression and stat supremacy are king.

Yeah, it forced people into the content and keeps it active. But, isn't there a deeper rooted issue if to keep content active you need a near forcing scheme to achieve it? I have a feeling if I say "CQ perks should only work in CQ", that the next response would be "well then cq would die". If you ask me, and if that would be the case, that is a games natural selective way of flushing out a bad idea. Bad or good idea is eye of the beholder, but it is obnoxious to know devs possibly acknowledge the big range of taste for CQ yet create the game in a scheme that obligates you very strongly to active do such content frequently.

This is mostly for the PvE'ers I type this though, knowing in my era of HC PvE raiding, I would have HATED this. The logical inverse of this though would be making it so say....you get a stat/character benefit if you complete 10 dungeons a week. So now the king PvP'ers the ones who do 10 dungeons a week as well? Sounds about as goofy as the best PvE'ers being the ones who participate in Conquest. Just when they put +hit on pvp gear they make CQ to cause a conflict of interest for content and the carrots they dangle.

Simple mantra - pvp'ers don't want to pve to be effective in pvp. PvE'ers don't want to PvP to be effective in PvE. This game has yet to achieve that state though. Some think it is better design to have it this way, I can't say I'd agree though. It worries me though because the CQ right now just isn't working for the greater good as far as causes. But it is so strongly implemented it is either going to drag on this unfavorable state or go through a ridiculously drastic change to get to a point where people do enjoy CQ or have no issue with it's existence in the game.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Rift Chaser

I wish they would just try making team selection random. I bet a lot of the problems with conquest would fix themselves if there wasn't always a FOTM team that almost always won...

Quote Originally Posted by Nargauzius View Post
    Castle defense / siege gameplay would be fantastic. It was my favorite part of Dark Age Of Camelot. It was awesome to deploy rams or catapults to break into the castle, or deploy your own defensive catapults to stop the siege.

Conquest is sort of bland. I play it but it gets boring fast. You run around capping extractors and occasionally run into another zerg and fight. That's it.

If it were more like Port Scion or had castle defense / siege - or just had more to do overall - I think a lot of people would want to play it instead of feeling like they have to.

(I loathe to admit it, but I really enjoyed WoW's Wintergrasp and that BG with the huge siege engines and defense guns where you break through walls. Classic epic Alterac Valley matches were great too. Rift can and should go above and beyond all of that. Most of the mechanics are already in game, they just need to be brought together in an epic conquest-style match.)

Oh, and Conquest also needs to start assigning people to random teams instead of letting them choose. There is no need for choice that I can see, and as it stands (at least on my BG) one team dominates over 90% of the time. You queue for Conquest, it assigns you to a team at random, and you go from there. Promote a true three-way battle instead of one team dominating and the other teams joining just for the free rewards at the end.
    Completely agree with you. I think Trion rushed Conquest so as to try to keep some players from going to GW2. There was so much potential, yet it was rushed and is unappealing to the majority of players. I do hope they may consider upgrading conquest to more of a siege style map with battering rams etc. I imagine this would take a lot if work though and we'll not see any changes like this for some time if at all.

I don't want Trion thinking CQ was a waste of development time - it still has shining moments of fun and strategy, they're just a bit too few and far between. It's currently a near miss - the potential is there, the fun is sometimes there, but they've yet to figure out how to break the player habits that contribute to bad PvP.

We need to define for them what we think is good PvP, and of course everyone is bound to have different interpretations of what they think is fun.

For me, it's warfront sized formations of approximately 10 players working a small objective against a similar sized group, but contributing to the effort of similar groups working toward the same objective. Eventually you "unlock" larger scale battles throughout the confrontation, until you're all combined for a huge zerg finale.

Imagine 10 deathmatches of 30 players / 3 factions running simultaneously, starting at different points on the map, attempting to win a king-of-the-hill confrontation. The victor secures points for their faction, and after an objective is met some of the walls between them and their faction mates can be breached, allowing for 20v20 3 faction battles. Rinse/repeat until everyone is fighting in a big laggy cluster at the end, perhaps segregated by a keep with multiple layers for FPS concerns.

My guesstimate is the average CQ on our group is getting about 250-300 players per match, judging by the roughly 80 players zergs we see totalled on map waypoints. That is a lot of people you've got to keep entertained.

Make the queues random, do not permit raids to queue, and let people earn their way to to larger and larger battles. I think it would help push the pace and downplay the emphasis of PvE in PvP.
    Currently playing Beermaid lvl 65 War

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast