+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Hodor

Thread: Guide to winning in Conquest

Default Guide to winning in Conquest

Conquest can easily be split up into 3 phases. The beginning, the midgame, and the end game. This guide won’t help if your team is full of bads, but it will help single players become more aware of what is going on and how to use it to their advantage. A lot of this is common sense, but I see so many doing exactly the opposite of what they should.

Beginning game tactics:

Fact 1: When the game starts the extractors have roughly 1/3 the hit points of a captured extractor. You can easily see this for yourself by clicking on an un captured extractor and a captured one later in the game.

Fact 2: When the game starts there will be no PVP and no enemy extractor turrents for several minutes.

Now, how do you use this information to your best ability?

This means the extractors are much easier – and faster by a factor of 3 to kill in the beginning of the game. You will also not have to worry about your defenses, healing, or anything other then DPS and debuffs on the extractors for the first few minutes of the game.

* Split up into multiple fast mobile groups and do NOT stay in a 40 person zerg when the game begins.
    * Use holy champion on every extractor. You should have entered into conquest with full charges, or were you a baddie who came in soul res sick, no charges etc? Don’t be “That guy”. There are planar anomalies all over the place, you can recharge later. At least use your PA ability consumables like flaring glyph, keen blade, razors edge.
    * You should go full blown HK/ID 4pc gear raid dps equipment and spec, and of course provide debuffs if you have them in your spec to down extractors as quick as possible. A high DPS player can down 1 or 2 extractors on their own in this way before any pvp even occurs.
    * When you run out of uncontested, uncaptured extractors near your team’s base you may want to rejoin your main group for the first few fights to ensure the enemy zerg gets wiped and they have to rebuff. This will cost them several more minutes. A common place for this first fight to occur is either the eye or DF/Ruston. You can switch back to PVP gear/spec for this.

The idea is to fan out in the beginning as and capture as many extractors as fast as possible to put your team ahead as far as you can. Executed properly your team will be at a major advantage, or even win within the first couple minutes of the game.

The WORST thing you can do in the beginning of the game is to zerg around in a group of 40 and all sit mindlessly at an extractor waiting for it to capture, while your enemy is fanning out and capturing extractors at a much higher rate then you are. I’m looking at you, Mr. “I’m going to CM and taking 40 people in the beginning of the game” guy.

Middle of the game

The middle of the game is very dynamic so I can’t really provide a go-to strat like you can for the beginning and end of the game, but I can give helpful tips.

Have conquest awareness. View your map often to retain awareness of how many enemies are on each extractor. Don’t get sandwiched. If you see a nearby extractor being attacked by 22 enemies, common sense would dictate if you are alone, get out of the area because they are coming to you next. Conversely, if you are in the group of 20 and you see 5 attacking a nearby extractor, go wipe them. The. Map. Is. Your. Friend. Use it.

Don’t always follow the first person to run off, they will often run off in a random direction or in a bad direction. I can’t tell you how many times someone says “Enemies at CM”, and 2 full raids of people head to CM to fight… 5 people trying to ninja it. And by the time they get there, the 5 people are dead to the turrents and the 3 people who ported there.

Provide better intel. Don’t spaz out and spam enemies are on the eye for just 2 people attacking. When 20 show up then it’s time to be concerned. Calmly inform 2 enemies on eye and a teammate or two will port in. Diverting your side’s zerg for something stupid costs your team.

Don’t be a baddie and spend 10 minutes fighting a miniboss- drag it to your base turrents. Don't be a baddie and taunt off a tank trying to drag the miniboss somewhere helpful, like base turrents. If you want to be clever, drag the mini in CM to the extractor turrents, it will help you capture their extractor. At the very least their team's baddies will show up to fight the mini for 10 minutes, leaving their team in a weakened state where you can take advantage and capture more.

I may decide to cover the mid game in depth later.

End of the game

The end of the game can go good or bad for winners and losers.

You should have saved your soul walk in case you get ganked. You get 1 refresh per hour so it should always be up for conquest. Again, don’t be “that guy” who whines about getting ganked and doesn’t even have a soul res.

You’ll want a stone nearby for increased bonuses at the end. Thinking ahead and grabbing it before your enemy does is a smart idea. But remember the stone has a timer so don’t grab it so far ahead that it will wear off.

The strongest team usually sticks together and finishes off foci one by one. Losing teams run around tagging as solos. For this reason if you are on the winning team, for the foci killing you can go back to your PVE raid dps specs and gear. The faster you down them the more time at the end of the game you have to spawn the boss.

If you’re a loser, take note of where the winning team is beginning their foci kills. Common places they hang out with their stone carrier will be either the eye or CM. If you have stealth you can go to the first extractor they’ll hit and tag it, otherwise you should think about going 1 extractor ahead of them and beginning your tag from there. For example if the winning team is in the Eye they will hit the 2 in eye first. Hit the one they won’t tag, and move. Don’t stick around.

When it comes to the boss, the winning team will sometimes use pve raid equipment and specs to down it fast or may stick pvp if the other teams know how to fight. But since the other teams have been running around as solos for the last 10 min the group cohesion won’t be there and they wouldn’t normally put up much of a fight.

Boss down, farm your enemies and then go back to afking in sanctum/meridian waiting for Storm Legion.

The end.
    Good luck.

Entered a game on Oath... only 2 of us fanned out

Within the first couple minutes DOM had already taken 2x our extractors

I see around 30+ oath sitting at one single extractor trying to cap it

WOWWWWWWWWWW

mcbaddies.

Soulwalker

Devs are you all reading this ?

Now you have a base to fix Conquest and a reason that is can last a long time (six to seven minutes vs five).

Personally, I would simply like 100 marks each week for signing on, alot simplier and actually less then what you can get in five minute matches.

ta ta

Said it before and will say it again. If you want to win CQ... queue a raid. Case in point below.

http://www.twitch.tv/tacowarior/b/335501526

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsurfing View Post
    Entered a game on Oath... only 2 of us fanned out

Within the first couple minutes DOM had already taken 2x our extractors

I see around 30+ oath sitting at one single extractor trying to cap it

WOWWWWWWWWWW

mcbaddies.
    Kinda off topic, but I can totally see McDonalds marketing something called McBaddies.

On topic, pretty solid general guide to how you should handle CQ. The mid-game is very dynamic like you said and it's hard to plan for all the contingencies you might run into.

I agree with the Early game split up and cap feature. Every time I have seen a team do this they pretty much ran the CQ the whole game.

And for the love of god people, don't charge into 40 people on the last phase and expect a battle res. Seriously.
    Leondria 60 P6x Mage

Ascendant

The next pro tip . . . if you DON'T want to win conquest and instead want to actually win for your character than you should just zerg up, bounce back and forth through the Eye, TT, and DF, and a few ressers just keep some points off to the sides to avoid the round finishing.

Favor cap each match. That's the true win.

Think OP is way over thinking CQ. All you need to do to herd the mindless sheep in CQ is use very loud (caps) motivational words to get them to do what you want. If your not foaming at the mouth they probably won't listen to you. Trust me, it works.

If that fails cringe for an hour get 300/300 kills and 25/25 and get the f out of there. <--- my plan most of the time. Because at the end of the day do people really want to go into Conquest and play for hours with mindless idiots? No. It's hard enough getting people to organize in wfs.
    Last edited by LOveRH; 10-16-2012 at 06:18 AM.

Telaran

I'm returning to Rift and Conquest is totally new to me. Where is a good overall guide for reborn newbie's who have no clue what the heck to even do in this instance?

Quote Originally Posted by Sydni View Post
    I'm returning to Rift and Conquest is totally new to me. Where is a good overall guide for reborn newbie's who have no clue what the heck to even do in this instance?
    http://rift-mmorpg.com/rift-gameplay/conquest-guide/
    Leondria 60 P6x Mage

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Sydni View Post
    Just find where the huge zerg is on your team and follow it around. You'll pick it up pretty quick.

The general gist is to capture 65% of the extractors on the map to win.

Telaran

depends too on time of day. when I play only one option matters currently: join Dom

have the CQ screen for joining open and ready; spam click where the join button will be. rotsa ruck.

If you do click 'join' you will still have to wait until the top level group of the privileged is done farming Favor because you won't get in; its as if you clicked 'queue'. enough of them leave to where you can prolly get in in time to farm some Marks.

no point in joining the other factions at this time. they get little or no favor (unless they are top players who couldn't get in the Dom group) but you can still farm some Marks and a few extractors if you join Oath from the beginning. completing the weekly is pretty problematic because of this so don't expect much.

rank favoritism i know but what can you expect from a bvm (bullies vs. noobs) setup which kicked off with an exploit for the privileged that was not subsequently removed? now, when anyone talks about 'earning' their lvl 50 status there is no way of telling if they actually did or if they were among the privileged cheaters.

+ Reply to Thread