+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: PvP Dungeons... what do you think???

Soulwalker

Default PvP Dungeons... what do you think???

Okay this just came to me and so I thought i would see what other thought about it...

I see a 10 man dungeon with 2 groups starting from each side of the dungeon (so 2 groups of 10 players in each) and working the way to the med-point. Each group has to fight same mobs and mini bosses (same kind of mobs on the way not same mobs) on the way to a big boss that both groups have to fight. They can either pick to fight it together and get a small amont of loot or kill off the other group and get a lot of loot.
    So its a mix of pvp and dungeons... team up for sure win or take the chance and go for it all. It can be a random picked groups so that it will alway be a dif game each time.

I think it would be a very cool thing to try out or at least think about ...

So what do you all think?

Most people would just kill the bosses unless there are serious incentives on killing each other. Just look at conquest on the planar invaders phase.

Global Agenda has something somewhat similar to this, however the second group gets queued up as part of the dungeon mobs, and they are suppose to stop the other group from completing the dungeon under a set amount of time.
    Wrek 9/9 2/4
    Retired

Interesting idea, suffice to say Premades would dominate, so a system breaking premades versus pugs would be an absolute must.

The race aspect seems more compelling to me, i.e. if one group completely obliterates the other in content clearing then they would get exclusive rights to the boss and perhaps complete the encounter before the others are caught up for an additional bonus.
    Defendor :: Mage :: Greybriar
    :: Trinity ::

Quote Originally Posted by SelfTitled View Post
    The race aspect seems more compelling to me, i.e. if one group completely obliterates the other in content clearing then they would get exclusive rights to the boss and perhaps complete the encounter before the others are caught up for an additional bonus.

Not necessarily.

Group 1 (PvE raid geared) roflstomps trash mobs rolls in on boss begins fighting.

Boss down to say 60%

Group 2 (p50 PvP geared) takes longer to trash clear but rolls in and roflstomps group 1 and steals the kill and loot.

I like the idea sounds very dynamic may need some tweaking but it has potential.
    ~~ Euthan ~~

I was a big fan of DF in DAoC, used to park my Infiltrator in there and wait for Hibs or Mids to take it then log back in

PvP dungeons can be very fun
    Leondria 60 P6x Mage

Sounds exactly like the dredge in Aion for a recent example besides DAoC. There you either afk'd, or your team ran as fast you could to the end to tag the boss and train all the enemies onto the other team.

Bleh, this sounds more like time trial races than pvp. competitive, but it doesn't sound very appealing to me.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourtyfour View Post
    Most people would just kill the bosses unless there are serious incentives on killing each other. Just look at conquest on the planar invaders phase.

Global Agenda has something somewhat similar to this, however the second group gets queued up as part of the dungeon mobs, and they are suppose to stop the other group from completing the dungeon under a set amount of time.
    Global Agenda had alot of cool ideas, too bad they lack the funds, btw I read GA 2 is in the work.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboots View Post
    Sounds exactly like the dredge in Aion for a recent example besides DAoC. There you either afk'd, or your team ran as fast you could to the end to tag the boss and train all the enemies onto the other team.

Pretty much my experience with PVP dungeons in AION, plus they came out with several more kinds too.

1) I actually enjoyed it when teams were well balanced. Training was still a fun tactic in my opinion because as a spirit master I had the tools to be the anti-trainer (insta fearing the trainer back into the mobs brought such sweet joy ). Everything ultimately became tactful including training, checking rooms, deciding what room to take next, and when to fight bosses, and all with counter tactics.

3) The main issue was balance. Many times when a Premade Elite group was paired against the pug, the pug would ultimately go AFK to allow the elite group to finish the dungeon faster so they could get out faster. I think there would have to be 2 different Quing systems, one for random Qs (meaning no peeps can Q in as a team) and one for premade Qs. Premades will only go against premades, and randoms against randoms.

4) One thing that AION didn't do was guarantee you had a healer and support, which made a BIG difference in small group pvp and could determine the outcome. With RIFTS Qing system...I actually think that groups may fair a lot better than they did in AION.

5) I actually wouldn't mind this, but remember it took AION years to get it fun, but of course its nearly impossible to work out all the kinks that thousands of different PVPers may find.

6) I am for it actually. And they were progressive in nature. They had different dungeons for peeps of different gear and level sets so I feel if AION didn't allow level locking they would have had much more balanced dungeons.

7) Peeps would have to understand its not strictly PVP or PVE. It combines both. You have to be good at both understanding PVE performance, and PVP performance and the chaos that combining them is. This system is NOT for just PVPers, or just PVEers, it is for peeps that want a hybrid experience. Going in wanting one or the other will only lead to dissapointment.

Its a go for me if they choose. I would love it.
    Last edited by Xenoheart; 10-04-2012 at 08:43 AM.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourtyfour View Post
    I clearly missed this patch note in my e-mail.

MIGHT BE TIME TO DUST IT OFF.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

Shadowlander

A PvP dungeon similar to the first/original L50 Dredgion in Aion would be awesome.

Soulwalker

I have been thinking about it a bit more and reading what other are saying. To add more pvping to it maybe have the 2 groups meet up 3 times along the way to boss, make the other team the mini bosses. So they fight pve mobs to get to other group then both fight till one team is standing they get loot and/or buffs to use in the big boss fight at the end. That would add more pvp fun and give the better team a better chance at the end. I also think that it would have to be (pug vs pug) and (permades vs permade) for sure, too many times I have seen in pvp a permade just walk over a pug time and time again and it sucks. Oh and about the fight at the end, was thinking that if the groups fight it together the loot would be say all blue or lower, but if you kill all of the other team you get better loot. That would give more reason for the two groups to fight it out but less chance to kill the boss. Also add a timer to the last boss fight like in CQ.

I liked CQ at the start with the mix of pvp/pve but it's just too much runing around and can take forever to do. I think a pvp dungeon would be like CQ but smaller and funner/better for ppl who don't have hours to play to get the end loot. I don't know what kind of loot it should be but I think maybe have it a mix of pvp/pve items as the dungeon would be.

I have a lot more to add in on this but not the time to do it right now so will be back later with more...

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Samydice View Post
    Okay this just came to me and so I thought i would see what other thought about it...

I see a 10 man dungeon with 2 groups starting from each side of the dungeon (so 2 groups of 10 players in each) and working the way to the med-point. Each group has to fight same mobs and mini bosses (same kind of mobs on the way not same mobs) on the way to a big boss that both groups have to fight. They can either pick to fight it together and get a small amont of loot or kill off the other group and get a lot of loot.
    So its a mix of pvp and dungeons... team up for sure win or take the chance and go for it all. It can be a random picked groups so that it will alway be a dif game each time.

I think it would be a very cool thing to try out or at least think about ...

So what do you all think?
    Its a great idea. And one game was famous for exactly this, and that was DAOC. As some mentioned, Aion also did something similar. But Darkness Falls was a huge deal in DAOC. DF wasn't instanced of course cause that sort of thing didn't exist back then, but the concept is the same. You have three start points. Whoever had the most control in RvR had access, but once you are in you stay in. So if the dungeon flipped when you were on the boss, the other realm could come down and gank you. You could also kill solo players on the other teams side if you were so inclined. There is really no reason not to do it, other than the difficulty of designing it. I'm frankly shocked that they didn't have something like this in GW2.
    Last edited by Khelendross; 10-04-2012 at 09:35 PM.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

Rift Disciple

I actually like the premise of this idea, it would have to be a 20 maybe even 40 man raid though.

Each side would have to complete a set of objectives unlocking the boss, which would include holding 2-3 site objective simulataneously....Upon completion The actual team engaging the boss would be need to be defended by a team repelling the opposing team....

Sounds pretty close to CQ as is, however rather than an open field of play it would be close quarters with smaller teams engaging each other rather an all out zerg.

Plane Touched

I like the idea of a closed in funnelfest to a final event, possibly with a few minor skirmishes enroute, but instead of 2 factions id rather see 3 meet up for the final show-down. Dom, NF and Oath are already established so it doesnt seem like it'd be much of a stretch.

Oh and randomize this queue so each team gets roughly the same amount of players, unlike cq... lol
    Imasu@randomshard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast