+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 54
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Guild vs. Guild pvp

  1. #1
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    86

    Default Guild vs. Guild pvp

    Hey i wanted to know what everyone thought of this idea. Basically it is Guild vs. Guild were one guild could challenge another guild to a war. The war would last (x) amount of time say 24hr and the guild which kills the most of the other guild wins the war and get (whatever is a good reward). The war would take place all over the world so you would have to hunt down members of the enemy guild or if the guilds wanted to they could select to do a war in a battleground or something. This is just an idea i had and wanted to know what other people thought. I for one think there is not enough guild content and everything. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Ascendant Baramos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,595

    Default

    There have been plenty of guilds who have organized guild vs guild fights for 1-4 hours long in the past. Don't wait for Trion to add something, get some friends together and contact another guild with a time and a place.

  3. #3
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    302

    Default

    YOu mean like Runes of magic's Siege........ assuming they ever got it out of "beta"?

    Or are you just curious what a real company could do with siege heh.

  4. #4
    Plane Touched Sapheros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dkjester View Post
    YOu mean like Runes of magic's Siege........ assuming they ever got it out of "beta"?

    Or are you just curious what a real company could do with siege heh.
    Would much rather have the whole guild castle/siege thing going on than what the current conquest has degraded to. Same old warfronts got boring after a year. Here is to the hope they add some new ones with SL.

  5. #5
    RIFT Guide Writer Redcruxs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dkjester View Post
    YOu mean like Runes of magic's Siege........ assuming they ever got it out of "beta"?

    Or are you just curious what a real company could do with siege heh.

    runes of magic seige war is orgamsic PvP...

    for those who don't know it, basically every day at a predefined time the game arranges all the guilds who sign up each day into pairs based on an ELO rating. then an hour later the seige war begins and all the guilds port to their PvP instance which looks like a long arena with 3 paths between the castles (similar to CTF - Face from unreal tournament)

    the pairs of guilds battle and the first guild to destroy the other guilds castle core wins. there are gates, walls, siege weapons, and temporary guild-wide buffs very much like guild wars 2 pvp and conquest but on a smaller scale. The number of players each guild is allowed to bring into the siege is unlimited which makes for some very intense battles.

    my guild used to be #1 in the world seige rankings before we all moved over to rift a year and a half ago... ah fun times... if only it didn't cost an arm and a leg to be competitive in runes of magic (pay 2 win)
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 10-02-2012 at 05:38 AM.

  6. #6
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapheros View Post
    Would much rather have the whole guild castle/siege thing going on than what the current conquest has degraded to. Same old warfronts got boring after a year. Here is to the hope they add some new ones with SL.
    In some ways, I miss castle/siege stuff. My only experience with it was in Ragnarok Online (War of Emperium). Basically anyone that wasn't in your guild or considered allied to your guild would be subject to taking damage from your skills/aoes and whatever. And you could only have up to I think 3 other guilds allied to you. If the whole server decided to gang up on you, then it could be pretty tough to defend and expensive too.

    The only downside is that it depended heavily on the concept of "precasts", aka setting up a huge defensive force on a portal that the enemy would come through. Basically you would focus all your AoE and single target stuff over this one spawn portal. It was your best chance to stop them because if they broke through precast, you could get overrun really quickly and lose the castle in minutes or even seconds.
    White Fang

    Adastra@Greybriar

  7. #7
    Prophet of Telara Delmlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    runes of magic seige war is orgamsic PvP...

    for those who don't know it, basically every day at a predefined time the game arranges all the guilds who sign up each day into pairs based on an ELO rating. then an hour later the seige war begins and all the guilds port to their PvP instance which looks like a long arena with 3 paths between the castles (similar to CTF - Face from unreal tournament)

    the pairs of guilds battle and the first guild to destroy the other guilds castle core wins. there are gates, walls, siege weapons, and temporary guild-wide buffs very much like guild wars 2 pvp and conquest but on a smaller scale. The number of players each guild is allowed to bring into the siege is unlimited which makes for some very intense battles.

    my guild used to be #1 in the world seige rankings before we all moved over to rift a year and a half ago... ah fun times... if only it didn't cost an arm and a leg to be competitive in runes of magic (pay 2 win)
    Valkyrie? I used to be in a guild name Paladin of Osha server ^^ we were boss at siege haha, core was the more elitist guild though, had some great matches. I left the game due to the cash shop.. their cash shop system was ok at first but man it crippled my progress after a few new content patches and economy inflation. Surprised to find people who remember how awesome siege was .
    Rehashed, reskinned content =/= Exciting new content
    Retired from Rift thanks to Square E getting their stuff together

  8. #8
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Funny how things like guild vs guild pvp havent happened in games like wow and rift. Ultima Online had guild vs guild pvp back in 1997. Theres still alot of things no other game has done that was done in UO 15 years ago.

    You could declare war on a guild if they accepted it was game on. Doubtful we ever see any games come anywhere close to the epicness of UO or EQ ever again. MMO's are for socialites now not gamers.

  9. #9
    Ascendant Aeonblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nsayn1 View Post
    Funny how things like guild vs guild pvp havent happened in games like wow and rift. Ultima Online had guild vs guild pvp back in 1997. Theres still alot of things no other game has done that was done in UO 15 years ago.

    You could declare war on a guild if they accepted it was game on. Doubtful we ever see any games come anywhere close to the epicness of UO or EQ ever again. MMO's are for socialites now not gamers.
    UO was one of the games I never played, but only ever heard good things about. I still have friends to this day who say if a new game came out and used UO as a model they would come back to MMO's and play. Neither of them have played an MMO since DAoC.

    A guild vs guild PvP system would fit into Rift quite nicely imo.
    Anaraia@Deepwood

  10. #10
    Ascendant Eughe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,420

    Default

    I never understood why such a thing had been taken out in many modern mmos.

    But considering many modern mmos are solo games its bit surprising. Not to mention most modern games takes out 90% of the politics giving less true reason for guild wars to even exist.

  11. #11
    Ascendant Aeonblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eughe View Post
    I never understood why such a thing had been taken out in many modern mmos.

    But considering many modern mmos are solo games its bit surprising. Not to mention most modern games takes out 90% of the politics giving less true reason for guild wars to even exist.
    This. When you make all raids and dungeons instanced, the chance for a guild war to start for a reason is near 0%. There are many pros and cons to instanced content, but it truly does eliminate the fight for spawns/camps, which I feel was a the driving force for most world PvP content/guild vs. guild.

    Yea some vicious fights erupt from "camps" and such, but that's why you call the guild to war and quell the uprising from the lessers!

    Actually if you wanna get right down to it, instanced dungeons and bosses killed world PvP too, not just guild vs. guild.
    Last edited by Aeonblade; 10-02-2012 at 08:25 AM.
    Anaraia@Deepwood

  12. #12
    Ascendant Eughe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,420

    Default

    indeed. World bosses used to be the only way to get orange/gold/heavenly/divine/ethereal gear.
    Massive battles for bosses were the norm (Aion sorta kept this until they went the instances and solo instance way, but they still have it minorly)

    I mean, dungeon and instances and my pre aion days were for craft crap and accessories. Most of the truly good things had to be fought over.

    But now its Queue and Pew (and Q), changing the need (or the lack thereof) for pvp as a whole.

  13. #13
    Ascendant Bliter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeonblade View Post
    This. When you make all raids and dungeons instanced, the chance for a guild war to start for a reason is near 0%. There are many pros and cons to instanced content, but it truly does eliminate the fight for spawns/camps, which I feel was a the driving force for most world PvP content/guild vs. guild.

    Yea some vicious fights erupt from "camps" and such, but that's why you call the guild to war and quell the uprising from the lessers!

    Actually if you wanna get right down to it, instanced dungeons and bosses killed world PvP too, not just guild vs. guild.
    There will be no good PvP in any game where the best gear and rewards come from instances. I don't even complain anymore that instanced zones killed world PvP because its just industry wide now.

    If people knew what they were giving up when they traded real competition for a warm fuzzy from a canned adventure. Infinite variability from anything goes PvP given up for farming the same dungeons over and over.

    To farm the same dungeons, over and over.....

  14. #14
    Ascendant Kyera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eughe View Post
    Not to mention most modern games takes out 90% of the politics giving less true reason for guild wars to even exist.
    It's not even so much that the modern games take out the politics, as the forums are horrible sterile and anything that could build up animosity or rivalry quickly gets stifled as "trolling", "flaming", or "naming and shaming". This is even the case for games that ostensibly center around PvP combat -- the official WAR forums, when they finally opened, tended to crack down pretty hard on this sort of thing, and even the fan-run Warhammer Alliance forums were pretty oppressive because they didn't want to lose their credibility/e-peen waggling fun friendship with Bioware Mythic.

    DAoC pretty much still has it going on today because its "official" forums are hosted by a third party, though my understanding is that the IGN side is a little more heavy-handed than VN ever was, which is why most migrated to another third-party site with the death of VN.

    I wish forum moderation would be relaxed when it comes to game-related conflict, even if things get a little heated and inch outside of those bounds, ESPECIALLY on PvP SERVER forums.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

  15. #15
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bliter View Post
    There will be no good PvP in any game where the best gear and rewards come from instances. I don't even complain anymore that instanced zones killed world PvP because its just industry wide now.

    If people knew what they were giving up when they traded real competition for a warm fuzzy from a canned adventure. Infinite variability from anything goes PvP given up for farming the same dungeons over and over.

    To farm the same dungeons, over and over.....
    Kind of the fence with that. In vanilla WoW, you had the green dragons that every guild needed if they wanted to progress through a certain raid. Sure it was kinda fun to wipe the opposing faction by intentionally messing up their pull and/or blowing up their healers, of course they could do the same back to you as well. But to have to fight over it for 1-3 hours every time you needed to kill it to get your resist set got really annoying and time consuming.

    I could see having a few world bosses that maybe drop some nice crafted mats or perhaps even some "PvP" world bosses (an oxymoron of sorts) that rewards stuff that a player needs (favor/prestige/marks/perhaps a chance to drop a piece of your PvP set). On a PvP shard this would give you some sort of gathering point where interested parties would compete each other for access. On a PvE shard, a "PvP" boss would at least have to force you to flag up in order to attack it though.
    White Fang

    Adastra@Greybriar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts