+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: This is what modern MMO players call PvP?

Telaran

Default This is what modern MMO players call PvP?

Mindlessly running around zerging everything in sight? Who actually enjoys this crap? PvP is supposed to be competitive where the truly best of the best want to fight because memorizing a script and reacting to it is too easy. How is that possible when all you do in conquest is run in a huge zerg and then AE spam into other huge zergs? It's the most mindless and boring PvP I've experienced in over 13 years of MMOs further made worse by playing a warrior (lol melee in huge zerg fights) and then compounded with poor design decisions that should have been addressed after the first play test and were completely ignored (large PvE focus of boring as hell control points, way too big of a map, TERRIBLE terrain for fun PvP, etc.)

Big props to Trion for giving raiders a good PvP option in conquest. Now you can mindlessly PvE while getting favor and prestige and not just marks.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Congrolios View Post
    focus of boring as hell control points, way too big of a map, TERRIBLE terrain for fun PvP, etc.)
    uh so you think on a smaller map there would be LESS zerging? LOL ...

besides: its the PLAYERS who decide to zerg ... noone forces YOU to do it?

Ascendant

ie. That's code for he's looking for something like "arenas" (doesn't have to be exactly like one).
    White Fang

Adastra@Greybriar

Ancient MMO players also called running around in a zerg PvP.

Some of us split off to do smaller-scale stuff for the fun of it, instead. Consider setting something up with your friends/rivals in the open world, since the zerglings will all be in Conquest.

Mind = blown?
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

Ascendant

You don't sound good at pvp. Sounds like you need a completely imbalances pvp world to gain an artificial advantage to make you believe you are good.

It is a very large pvp environment that is fairly confusing. Everyone is still sorting it out and in most matches most people have only played 2 or less times previously.

The teams that keep winning over and over are not winning just by zerging.
    Last edited by aeio; 06-29-2012 at 04:57 AM.
    Codex + 1 = Suck on a Gun

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Kyera View Post
    Ancient MMO players also called running around in a zerg PvP.

Some of us split off to do smaller-scale stuff for the fun of it, instead. Consider setting something up with your friends/rivals in the open world, since the zerglings will all be in Conquest.

Mind = blown?
    Most old PvP that I ran into long ago was either ganking (which is why I play on a PvE server now) or just something that starts off small scale, then it turns into a blow out because one side is able to rally up double the force of the other side. So in a sense, warfront/battlegrounds is probably about as balanced you can get in terms of numbers without getting that "zerg" feeling.

The only thing is that groups will need more tanks in the front to draw the initial fire and also to make use of their pulling skills. Ex. In Aion, the tanks had a pull skill that would pull a player to the tank (to be focus fired down). In Rift, we have tanks that can Rift Summon (or any other pull skill) players out of the pack to be focused on. I'm sure there are some people out there already doing this, but again, playing in Conquest requires a little different approach vs. small scale stuff in warfronts, small errors committed in large scale PvP will 99% of the time send you back to respawn due to the amount of damage flying around.

Conquest throws map control into the mix so it's not just old style war where each side just lines up, aims at the other side and shoots, then kneels down to reload their gun and hopes they don't die while doing so.
    Last edited by Adastra; 06-29-2012 at 05:04 AM.
    White Fang

Adastra@Greybriar

General of Telara

Yup. Took me 5 mins to realise running in as a war was stupid unless it's a pack of you doing it. 1 redrawn later spec swapped and now I am safely in my pack pulling the enemy to me via rift summon to be destroyed. Rather thank feed the Zerg by charging I just feed my team the enemy one at a time slowly whittling down their numbers.

If the other team is mass nerfing I will go with a small group and conquer all they leave behind and allow my team to win. The only issue right now is that by not merging you are penalised by missing out on the favor and prestige. An adjustment to how favor is earned and far more small skirmishes will occur.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Asteldian View Post
    The only issue right now is that by not merging you are penalised by missing out on the favor and prestige. An adjustment to how favor is earned and far more small skirmishes will occur.
    I was under the impression that the huge favor/prestige gains were due to all the kills your faction was getting in the zone, but that is not true. Although, I guess this kinda prevents some people from just afking it.
    White Fang

Adastra@Greybriar

when i get my guild of 20 in conquest we roll the zurgs. nothing like a 20 V 40 and winning.

Currently Conequest is a unorginized mess and everyones stilll learning what is needed. We already started thinking of stratigy and what is needed to win. I have a feeling as time goes on the zurg v zurg will become buliding defences and holding points on the map. Right now no one does **** but zurg the other team.

I also think currently they have to many people in. I would rather see more maps open up with less players. You roll on a zurg and cant draw half of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA4uE...1&feature=plcp
    Some orginization from our guild in above video.

Rift Disciple

Trion has a problem. Right now the rendering and lag issues conceal the fact rift pvp is not well designed for large scale battles from a class balance perspective. Healing is almost pointless due to lag and group issues. Ranged AOE and ranged single target dps is so flipping high it dumbs down and trivalizes the more complex elements of pvp. Melee classes have no chance.

The rewards for conquest are so good everyone does it anyway. If they lowered the rewards no way I would que for that disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekenna View Post
    Trion has a problem.... Healing is almost pointless due to lag and group issues.
    Healing may be almost pointless, but rezzing is not. I've seen smaller forces take our larger ones by quickly rezzing their dead and force respawning their opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Congrolios View Post
    (lol melee in huge zerg fights)

Big props to Trion for giving raiders a good PvP option in conquest. Now you can mindlessly PvE while getting favor and prestige and not just marks.
    I dont know what your talking about but warriors in TFS raids do just fine.
    IdolizeThis of Wasted Talent <> Im a killer and I usually know my victims so I catch alot of bodies on the homie system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10f2rAzxEF8g

Realm Guards, im sorry but you are currently KoS for TFS, good luck. Dont GY camp our 5man for 20mins next time and you wont have to be put in your place
    Last edited by IdolizeThis; 06-29-2012 at 07:17 AM.
    IdolizeThis of Wasted Talent <> Im a killer and I usually know my victims so I catch alot of bodies on the homie system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10f2rAzxEF8g

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by lunatuna View Post
    Healing may be almost pointless, but rezzing is not. I've seen smaller forces take our larger ones by quickly rezzing their dead and force respawning their opponents.
    This. Also healing is not pointless, although the current setup can be tough for a healer if the raid the healer is in isn't glued to them. With that said, in large scale combat, any decent amount of focus fire will result in people dying really fast, not much you can do about that.

Although, perhaps Trion can try a system that was done in a RTS I played awhile back called Rise of Nations. It curbed focus fire on units by making each unit on the focus fire deal less damage such that it was more effective and faster to just have 1-3 units attacking a single unit, or let the game auto attack random units.
    White Fang

Adastra@Greybriar

Only PvEers and people who aren't very good zerg. So basically PvEers and Defiant
    Even free cost too much now

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast