+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: How do you not die in 4 seconds?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Lloigor View Post
    So what are you doing in 1:1 Situations? Just Flicker and run?

Donīt forget about their gap-closers and increased movement speed...
    you cant survive ANY fight ...

If you don't have cross heals and have a blue bar the other team is going to make you a priority and you are going to die, period. Your only hope is if they suck at focusing and you only need to deal with one at a time. Pyro/dom has some great utility, provided they are not immune. Disarms, stuns, snares, squirrel, flicker, shields, etc. Of course it is a rogue with an RS build you will probably die anyway, if they are persistent. If you stay mobile enough one with ADD will move to a less mobile target. Also you best have max valor, or this discussion is worthless. Make sure you have your chest rune and your sigil in addition to complete pvp armor. There are essences and trinkets as well on the pvp faction vendor. I have 50% mitigation from valor and could not imagine having less.
    Last edited by Mako482; 06-29-2012 at 02:21 AM.

Firstly a lot depends on your rank and gear. So it's rly hard to answer this thread without knowing that. Also what specs you are running, do you queue solo, or have a premade.

As a healer in pvp I'm slowly improving as my rank goes up (Rank 12 now, get me!) and I accumulate some pvp gear (I was absolutely terrible at pvp, now I'm starting to be mediocre!). I hated pvp so much that it took a few premades to get me into the swing of it. Now I solo queue, pick some one to pocket heal, tell them and I stay with them. They protect me, I heal them, it's all good.

I'm not saying every match is like that, and I'm a long way off from being decent, but I'm quite enjoying pvp now. My confidence is growing, I'm learning a few tricks and how best to position myself to avoid a ganking.

I also avoid healing too much at the beginning so ppl don't get me marked. Once you're marked, you're screwed.

TL: DR Get some mates together, get on vent and learn to pvp in a situation where you can actually communicate with team mates. Then move on to soloing when you're more confident.
    Last edited by Merridwyn; 06-29-2012 at 02:30 AM.

Rift Chaser

So what are you doing in 1:1 Situations? Just Flicker and run?

Donīt forget about their gap-closers and increased movement speed...
    if you are low rank, the firm rule is to run a support build, regardless of class - you just will NOT have the Spell Power/ Attack Power/ DPS to kill a high rank player before they kill you. You just won't.

Low rank mage = some version of dom, chlorodom is excellent
    Low rank cleric = heals. lots of possible healing builds, find one you like.
    Low rank rogue = some version of bard.
    Low rank warrior = some version of VK.

For mages and clerics, which I know the most about, the low rank options have great survivability. Sent/Warden, Sent/Puri and Senticar all put out good AoE healing at low Spellpower and have decent survivability. Personally, I find Sent/Puri has the most survivability, but Sent/Warden and Senticar have better AoE heals.

For mages, Chlordom is hard to pass up at *any* rank - heals, mana/power/energy drains, splits for cd dps, lots of CC including squirrel, nukes that heal you when you use them, damage-on-use skills. Chlorodom gives you the very best survivability a mage can get *and* Spellpower-indenpendent (well, largely Spellpower independent, but that's good enough) AoE damaging drains. It's not as sexy as blowing things up in Pyro, but 1v1 it can outlast anything (emphasis on the word 'can', but again, that's good enough).

Apart from positioning, understanding your skills and when to use them (don't blow Essence Surge on the first damage you take! don't blow Storm Shackles before your target has blown their cleanse! etc) and having proper macros (Splits and Mass Charged Shield macroed together for maximum Split damage, etc) are also important - but most important is realising that at whatever rank you are, there IS a build that will let you make a difference for EVERY class (role, whatever).

If you're dying instantly then either:
    a: you have an unrealistic expectation about pvp;
    b: you are using an inappropriate build;
    c: you haven't learnt it fully yet; or
    d: you need to work on your positioning.

Note, I'm not trying to troll you here - everyone has to learn this and learn to survive at low ranks; but just because you are not managing it now does not mean that "it's impossible".

Quote Originally Posted by Naesraen View Post
    if you are low rank, the firm rule is to run a support build, regardless of class - you just will NOT have the Spell Power/ Attack Power/ DPS to kill a high rank player before they kill you. You just won't.

Low rank mage = some version of dom, chlorodom is excellent
    Low rank cleric = heals. lots of possible healing builds, find one you like.
    Low rank rogue = some version of bard.
    Low rank warrior = some version of VK.

For mages and clerics, which I know the most about, the low rank options have great survivability. Sent/Warden, Sent/Puri and Senticar all put out good AoE healing at low Spellpower and have decent survivability. Personally, I find Sent/Puri has the most survivability, but Sent/Warden and Senticar have better AoE heals.

For mages, Chlordom is hard to pass up at *any* rank - heals, mana/power/energy drains, splits for cd dps, lots of CC including squirrel, nukes that heal you when you use them, damage-on-use skills. Chlorodom gives you the very best survivability a mage can get *and* Spellpower-indenpendent (well, largely Spellpower independent, but that's good enough) AoE damaging drains. It's not as sexy as blowing things up in Pyro, but 1v1 it can outlast anything (emphasis on the word 'can', but again, that's good enough).

Apart from positioning, understanding your skills and when to use them (don't blow Essence Surge on the first damage you take! don't blow Storm Shackles before your target has blown their cleanse! etc) and having proper macros (Splits and Mass Charged Shield macroed together for maximum Split damage, etc) are also important - but most important is realising that at whatever rank you are, there IS a build that will let you make a difference for EVERY class (role, whatever).

If you're dying instantly then either:
    a: you have an unrealistic expectation about pvp;
    b: you are using an inappropriate build;
    c: you haven't learnt it fully yet; or
    d: you need to work on your positioning.

Note, I'm not trying to troll you here - everyone has to learn this and learn to survive at low ranks; but just because you are not managing it now does not mean that "it's impossible".
    Problem with chloro dom at lower ranks is your gonna eat cc from the higher ranked mages who can actually kill people, if a r40 targets you your gonna die no matter what spec your playing

General of Telara

Been watching a few streams of warriors doing WFs and Conquest since 1.9 hit and I guess its not just me. These are streams so no editing to show one sided fights against undergeared players while using a pocket healer. Warriors just walk up and *POOF* mage explodes into pink mist.
    Last edited by thomasmgp; 06-29-2012 at 09:27 AM.

Take this all for what it's worth these are just my -general- L2P thoughts (enjoying or not enjoying) Rift PvP and don't really address specifics.

PvP in Rift requires a certain mindset to enjoy especially in PUG wf's. The fact is, there will be many many times you will just get slaughtered in 4 seconds, and when you first start out especially so. The mindset required is to be focused on maximizing your individual skill which includes gearing, tactics, build, interface management, and at the same time maximizing your contribution to the team.

Dying in 4 seconds and hate it? Some things to think about while re-spawning are:

1. Where were you in relation to your teammates?
    2. Did you use your abilities to their best? What even happened? What might you have done.
    3. Is this build viable? If it's so vulnerable, is there even a tactical advantage in using it? What can I accomplish with this build and what would be the ideal circumstances.
    4. How can i chance my layout so i can react more quickly? Am I strafing or back-peddling? What other techniques might be more efficient.
    5. How could I have avoided that.

The "enjoyment" being in overcoming and adapting rather than excelling.. and with time you will. Some callings and builds are VERY suited to PvP and some aren't at all. Love it or hate it, that's the reality. Find your Zen. Rift PvP with the Quake deathmatch mindset, where everyone is equal and it's more or less a matter of hand to eye and timing gets old fast and you'll only be frustrated.
    Formerly Scarecrowe... now Skullcluck. I know, I need to L2P, thanks. Save your breath.
    If you want a healer so bad why don't you roll one up?

Reinstall windows and change your background to a picture of Scott Hartsman. It's what the pros do

Telaran

Mages have one Flicker to escape.

Warriors and Rogues have hundreds of thousands of gap-closers.

So there is no escape for Mages.
    You should see me PvPing

General of Telara

rerolled rogue a few days ago. PvP working as intended now.

Quote Originally Posted by thomasmgp View Post
    How do you not die in 4 seconds?
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasmgp View Post
    rerolled rogue a few days ago. PvP working as intended now.
    lol fkn brilliant
    Last edited by Pixel Monkey; 06-29-2012 at 10:00 PM.
    who took my names!

Rift Disciple

All the people talking about how they can survive are clerics, mages cannot. Sure you can spend the entire match running away, flickering behind trees, standing at as close to 30m's as possible ducking in and out to cast 500 damage instants....but then you'd get sucked in by a warrior, chain stunned/silenced by a rogue, or pop all your warlock cool downs and die in 3 gcd's since they're purged in the first.

So they increased AP scaling? They made it so the pvp synergy crystal scales with everyone but mages, they increased damage with new gear, they increased valor so chloro heals are even more useless(when's the next 7% buff coming?) they made it so any melee charge ability can now crit on it's own, made sab's uncleanseable charges and detonates about as instant as possible, and increased the damage on a champoin's finishers.

Meanwhile in the red headed step child side of the room, mages had a fix to feign death. We can now fake our death a little better in hopes a non cleansable dot doesn't finish us off as we lie on the floor for the match to end.
    Last edited by Macadami; 06-29-2012 at 10:13 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2