+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Where's the fun?

Soulwalker

Default Where's the fun?

I'm back after a year hiatus, playing other games, life stuff etc etc. I really like Rift. Great graphics, cool skill trees, very polished systems. I have played pvp in pretty well every game I've tried, and consider myself at least mediocre, but holy cow...

WHERE IS THE FUN IN RIFT PVP?

In no other game have I ever been killed as often or as quickly as Rift. I can't even seem to get started playing before I'm being crushed. Yes I've tried other classes and read up on builds. And admittedly I don't have great gear, but none of that SHOULD matter. If there is going to be a vibrant pvp community in Rift it needs to be accessible to a majority of players.

Please Trion, check out The Old Republic system. Is it perfect...no. BUT, some of the most fun I've had in pvp was with that game, win or lose. PVP can be great fun, and I remember having fun in Rift pvp a year ago. What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by cordinia View Post
    What happened?
    You left. People ranked up. Admittedly though pvp is very unfriendly at low ranks but it is what it is. You have to put in the time to rank up and stand a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by mistacrowley420 View Post
    You left. People ranked up. Admittedly though pvp is very unfriendly at low ranks but it is what it is. You have to put in the time to rank up and stand a chance.
    "It is what it is" is what people will say to you when there are not enough people still playing this game (for pvp) to make it enjoyable. This is an issue not one MMO has been able to answer yet, hopefully GW2 will be the first that does. To survive an MMO needs fresh players to sub, not only do fresh players get demolished at 50 here, but Trion made sure they got it all the way to 50 as well with their stupid twinking. Yea I know it is fixed next patch, how many pvp subs did it cost them though?
    Last edited by Mako482; 06-26-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mistacrowley420 View Post
    It is what it is, until 1.9. Then, hopefully, it will be something else.

Based on what we've been told, Trion is taking big steps to close the gear gap and make PvP friendlier to entry level 50's. I just hope they deliver on what they've proposed and that there's enough people left to make it worth the effort.

I think the fun is really based on personal endurance to an extent. There really is no way around the brutality a new player will endure joining the game at any point once established caps have been released for long enough for significant numbers to hit them. But I think if you have the time to put into the game and can get a good image of an end goal - and like what you see - the fun is enduring and dreaming about being the top ranker and then hitting the top and enjoying your spoils of time put in and be the top dog till caps are raised again. Rinse/repeat. It's def. probably a little easier persay for...people who hit the WF's asap tomorrow and the first slew of r50's. Opposed to the players who rank up a month from now, there will be several more at the top and the scheme has come full circle.
    Last edited by Violacea; 06-26-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Conquest in the 1.9 update. That's gonna bring a lot of PVE'ers like me into the PVP world and make it fun and accessible to a whole new generation!

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicUniverse View Post
    Conquest in the 1.9 update. That's gonna bring a lot of PVE'ers like me into the PVP world and make it fun and accessible to a whole new generation!
    Whoa, don't get my assassin excited. PvE'ers...in masses?
    Last edited by Violacea; 06-26-2012 at 05:09 PM.
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    Whoa, don't get my assassin excited. PvE'ers...in masses?
    Yeah, well don't get too excited cos I have proper PVP friends...and my friends have friends...

Telaran

From what I can see in my WF exp, over the last 3-4 weeks, rift pvp is 50% rogues and 50% everybody else....the team that lands the most clerics wins. Its like a game of chance. The yellows are always 50% so I call that the nutral aspect. Then it comes down to the greens.

Rift Disciple

Some callings can be infinitely more enjoyable than others in pvp. As you're recently returning, now might be a good time to check the alternatives.
    Last edited by Robotnik; 06-26-2012 at 07:20 PM.

IMO 10 man BG team

All warriors with Rift storm. Way I see it, it's a 2.5s duration aoe with a 30s CD. Mathematically with people hitting the right buttons at the right time they could actually all stack on top of each other and chain storms with only 5s of downtime max all in all of non-stop storm action.

A FULL UPTIME RIFT STORM MOVING AROUND TAKING NAMES LOL GET SOME

As your team sees the approaching enemy.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYg-LtUxhcE
    Last edited by Violacea; 06-26-2012 at 07:30 PM.
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Rift Disciple

I disagree.

I dread the idea of being in a fight for an extended amount of time. They have to be faster and bursty to retain any element of excitement and risk.

Protracted fights lend themselves to counter rhythms....You cast this they counter with that a loop begins...Fast, burn em down or get burned down feels more natural and lends itself to a more enjoyable experience.

Of course this is entirely speculation based on my personal preferences, but hey drawn out fights can be fun too.....
    Last edited by Hugatree; 06-26-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    IMO 10 man BG team

All warriors with Rift storm. Way I see it, it's a 2.5s duration aoe with a 30s CD. Mathematically with people hitting the right buttons at the right time they could actually all stack on top of each other and chain storms with only 5s of downtime max all in all of non-stop storm action.

A FULL UPTIME RIFT STORM MOVING AROUND TAKING NAMES LOL GET SOME

As your team sees the approaching enemy.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYg-LtUxhcE
    I like this, good thing that storm couldn't rift walk, helen and bill would have had a bad day
    it is not enough these days to question authority, you gotta speak with it too

I left TOR to come back here about a month ago. I'm having a good time. YMMV
    Beyond the point of caring.

Ascendant

I'm back after a year hiatus, playing other games, life stuff etc etc. I really like Rift. Great graphics, cool skill trees, very polished systems. I have played pvp in pretty well every game I've tried, and consider myself at least mediocre, but holy cow...

In no other game have I ever been killed as often or as quickly as Rift. I can't even seem to get started playing before I'm being crushed. Yes I've tried other classes and read up on builds. And admittedly I don't have great gear, but none of that SHOULD matter. If there is going to be a vibrant pvp community in Rift it needs to be accessible to a majority of players.

Please Trion, check out The Old Republic system. Is it perfect...no. BUT, some of the most fun I've had in pvp was with that game, win or lose. PVP can be great fun, and I remember having fun in Rift pvp a year ago. What happened?

Maybe you need to get better at pvping?

Also learn to play your role. If you are under geared you have different responsibilities in warfronts. Learn to adapt.
    Codex + 1 = Suck on a Gun

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast