+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Rift PVP UPGRADES NEEDED

Soulwalker

Default Rift PVP UPGRADES NEEDED

I am sure we can all agree that wow has still some of the best pvp out there. I would love to see Arena in Rift or some best of the best class pvp Challenges. As it stand right now the person who can put in the most time. Is the one that is unstopable. I think there need to be some kind of check in place like a personal rating system where only thoses that are truely skilled can wear the best pvp gear. Because right now its not impressive to see a character fulling decked out.

I'd like to see an arena, or even a WF that is a straight-up deathmatch.

Rewards based on arena score, I would not like to see. This type of system just ends up being a measure of who can best cheat the system.

I would rather just take your crap when I kill you.

Default arena in Rift

Like in WoW or any other MMO arenas are ruled by a small group of normally "professional" gamer types who are there to make real money from grouping with toons from accts. whose owners want to rise in item acquisition or popularity or just to have a title...etc. These players pay the gaming sites to play their toon and gain for them, items etc. The gaming sites pay several players to get to the top with several toons so the company can group with customers.It's sad and unfortunate, gaming is really no longer (for the most part) fueled by the need to game, but by the need for social acceptance as well as possibly just bragging rights even though the toon in which has the cred didn't arrive there by the original owner. This is why arenas will not be "true" in a show of skill or how good some normal player really is.Example-- Mr. Chin pays Ed's leveling service to get him in the top ten ranks of the arena. Being there will acquire Mr.Chin's toon the big bad armor set or weapon set etc.So Ed's service has 5 top arena players and gains Mr. Chins toon as number 6 in arena battles. The top toons "let" Mr. Chins toon win and raises his arena level to complete the transaction agreement. Real money always rules the MMO games and as stated before is unfortunate as well as inevitable!! Personally I stay away from such competitions because they're fixed and it really isn't a "real" competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Star View Post
    I'd like to see an arena, or even a WF that is a straight-up deathmatch.

Rewards based on arena score, I would not like to see. This type of system just ends up being a measure of who can best cheat the system.
    Conquest = 2500 kill deathmatch.
    Last edited by Arcshayde; 06-26-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vydark View Post
    I am sure we can all agree that wow has still some of the best pvp out there. I would love to see Arena in Rift or some best of the best class pvp Challenges. As it stand right now the person who can put in the most time. Is the one that is unstopable. I think there need to be some kind of check in place like a personal rating system where only thoses that are truely skilled can wear the best pvp gear. Because right now its not impressive to see a character fulling decked out.
    Rifts best bet would be to hope for a Deathmatch mod WF. This just isn't the direction this game is going. Rift's focus is far greater than pvp, it's just one of the many features under it's wing. The way the entire game is progression based, on pvp and pve sides of things, and pretty much every single aspect of 'earning' in the game - it would be such an abrupt step outside their expected comfort zone to go on a tangent and put the effort into a more robust pvp system. Rift is kind of like a sample platter if you ask me. PvP doesn't seem amazing nor does PvE seem amazing (spoiled eq2 raider). Solo gameplay is not immense either - the quests are shallow and easy basically on par of making someone a sandwich half the time because the dude in the encampment couldn't go kill 6 guys walking around in fedoras on some sandy hill. Even heroic/less than raid content seems....bland. It's there. But theres nothing amazing about it seemingly. Thus I arrive at my conclusion, I feel rift is a great MMO sample platter and gives people a chance to delve into any aspect of MMO gameplay they want. But if you want PURE pvp there are probably better options. If you want PURE pve, Eq2 might actually still almost be a better option, except the fact it's an old as dirt game with minimal high end activity anymore. But if it was in it's prime, that is the sort of game that does PvE content really well (and sure enough, their pvp content/balance was REALLY bad).

It would be nice but, they push conquest in one update, new raid zones in another, new world zones in another, put lots of development time into world events, fluff rewards and constant world event play...just the whole scene rift covers. I honestly think they will remain that sample platter style MMO. Because hey, lets be honest, sample platters sell really well and I even order them half the time. But if I want something specific, I usually don't go to the place that has the sample platters I like
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

I'm not sure when WoW became the "gold standard" for PvP. I've seen the same thing said on other game forums. But they do have pandas now.

So only those who are "truely [sic] skilled can wear the best pvp gear"? At most, those players should get no more than titles or vanity items. Giving the better players better gear will only further the gap between them and the people they defeat.
    Beyond the point of caring.

Quote Originally Posted by FourRums View Post
    Giving the better players better gear will only further the gap between them and the people they defeat.
    * in open world and unranked matches. Which is fine.
    Last edited by spaceboots; 06-27-2012 at 05:54 AM.

WoW had great PvP, so Rift needs to implement an arena (which the Blizzard devs said was a huge mistake)? I see your logic.
    Last edited by Hartzekar; 06-27-2012 at 05:58 AM.
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight
    <Celestial Might> [Retired: Hartzekarr and Greogard]
    My CD is now available for purchase here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/opus-1/id580677269

Ascendant

Multi player dueling, aka arenas, are silly.
    Codex + 1 = Suck on a Gun

Quote Originally Posted by aeio View Post
    Multi player dueling, aka arenas, are silly.
    I find them quite enjoyable. Now that we have both stated our opinions, we can consider this matter closed.

I'd be happy if they just made multiplayer crossfaction dueling possible.

5v5s, 10v10s etc would be so much easier.
    ~Quiescent

When did WoW start having "great" PvP? Decent at best and that was a long time ago (pre-arena).
    Even free cost too much now

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboots View Post
    I would rather just take your crap when I kill you.
    You could do that in UO back in the day. No game has come close to what UO was in its hayday to be honest. Housing system was fantastic, PVP was great, nothing since has come close...

I used to play a thief on that game, steal something small, run around while they try to kill me, then after 2 minutes until they were flagged grey to me, then Id turn around and kill them and take everything they had, lol. Fun times.

Used to be able to rob peoples houses way back to, had several times gating a full guild to someones house, kill them then loot everything they had because I stole their keys. Fun fun times. (not for them though I am sure.)

Arena play to me is small scale 2v2 or 4v4 matchups. If you put a mage like myself in a 2v2 match, we will be destroyed by many warrior/rogue builds. I can't see mages in general being very effective in small scale matchups. In fact, how many 2v2s would be dominated by cleric/warrior teams? Are they the best players or players using the best class/builds for the scenario? We should give them better gear as rewards for this?

Now, put a mage into a larger battle and there's an opportunity to have a greater impact just by getting lost in the larger group. I can only relate to my own experiences, of course.
    Beyond the point of caring.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast