+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Switching Factions at will.

Soulwalker

Default Switching Factions at will.

If you are allowed to switch faction whenever you want, or even by talking to somebody, Won't conquest just become an exercise in joining the winning faction? You guys aren't that idealistic that you would join a faction thats getting beat down just to put up a fight. You really aren't. Perhaps I am wrong about how faction switching works (hopefully).

I don't think that "switching factions at will" is a good idea, because of this very issue.

I do, however, think that Trion should allow either a 1 time change per character, or a change after completing a long quest line, or even a 1 change per month/week (like a server change) wouldn't be so bad.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

Well, it's locked on a per instance basis at least.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

You cannot change Factions while a match is been played in Conquest, even if you leave the Instance and the raid you still cannot change Faction until the whole thing is finished

Soulwalker

well thats good anyway. Still leaves a bit to be desired on a day to day basis as you probably will play multiple matches. If there are really good incentives on the under represented sides then I suppose it would help some but even incentives don't stop people from leaving because they are being abused.

Ascendant

Each match you can ally yourself with a new faction. There is also a mechanic in place (or so the devs say) which doesn't allow the number of players on the map to get out of balance too much.

I'm not sure what too much is, because nightfall generally outnumbers the other two even if you add the other two together.

Soulwalker

Three faction pvp is seen as a good thing, but if there is no reason for your existence on one faction or another it doesn't seem like the ideals of three faction pvp show up in that scenario.

2 faction pvp is just as good as 14 faction pvp if the factions are even at times of gameplay regarding pure numbers and general gear/skill (intangible for skill) capability.

Glad they were so busy making fake forum aliases with the number 3 though to ensure itemization and mechanics still suck.

BUT WE GOT THREEEEEEEEEEE
    Last edited by Violacea; 06-25-2012 at 08:54 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

I wasn't born there, and I don't live there, but I'm taking the Missouri "show me" state attitude. I'm not going to praise or lambaste Conquest team balancing mechanics until I see them in action. For now, I am hopeful previous lessons have been recognized and acted upon. I will say this, it will be very hard for me to understand why teams can not be balanced if things turn out to be broken. I will be genuinely surprised and very happy if they turn out not to be broken in most cases instead of only in rare cases. I guess it will depend on what is more important to the matching algorithm, fast queues and the desires of premades or longer queues with the aim of having time to better match up applicants premade or not. For the immediate future that doesn't even matter, there's novelty to peak interest and drive subs. But in the longer run it does matter, of course.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Ofseagulss View Post
    If you are allowed to switch faction whenever you want, or even by talking to somebody, Won't conquest just become an exercise in joining the winning faction? You guys aren't that idealistic that you would join a faction thats getting beat down just to put up a fight..
    Ya know - Yeah I am....

I generally do research to choose the faction that's at a disadvantage. Why? Cause frankly if I'm battling with my back against the wall Im going to play harder and better to gain ground....

I never got the lemming mentality of hop on the winning teams side and easy mode it to end game. What happened to wanting a good fight? What happened to enjoying a challenge?
    Last edited by Hugatree; 06-25-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Champion

I just wanna join the least populated side.

Quote Originally Posted by Ofseagulss View Post
    You guys aren't that idealistic that you would join a faction thats getting beat down just to put up a fight. You really aren't.
    I am but it's not about idealism, it's more about turning things around and facing odds that wouldn't normally be in your favor. Spawn camping afk losers got boring a long, long time ago.

Also, they have faction population caps to prevent what you're talking about.
    Last edited by Zaros; 06-25-2012 at 09:27 PM.
    ~Quiescent

Rift Disciple

You aren't allowed to switch factions at will. What happens is you join a faction to join conquest. Then you are stuck with that faction untill that conquest instance is done. Example: You join a losing team so you ragequit and leave. 30 minutes later you decide to rejoin and that same instance is still going you will still have to rejoin with the losing team. After a team wins then the instance ends, and a new one will start and at that point you can join what ever faction you want to again. But that don't mean jack, just cause nightfall won last time doesn't mean everyone will que for nightfall again. Also if the team you que for is full, then you get put in a waiting line que, so maybe you won't want to wait in line and want to join a different team.

Quote Originally Posted by redrox View Post
    You aren't allowed to switch factions at will. What happens is you join a faction to join conquest. Then you are stuck with that faction untill that conquest instance is done. Example: You join a losing team so you ragequit and leave. 30 minutes later you decide to rejoin and that same instance is still going you will still have to rejoin with the losing team. After a team wins then the instance ends, and a new one will start and at that point you can join what ever faction you want to again. But that don't mean jack, just cause nightfall won last time doesn't mean everyone will que for nightfall again. Also if the team you que for is full, then you get put in a waiting line que, so maybe you won't want to wait in line and want to join a different team.
    Completely agree. The system is actually quite interesting.

See, if, say, Nightfall wins a match, there are bound to be a ton of straight PVErs (not those who actively do both, but those who just want the Conquest perks for PvE purposes) who are bound to join the previous winning side hoping that whichever group of players fought in the previous match will queue up for Nightfall in the current match, thus carrying them to victory.

In effect, due to this influx of non-PvPers and assuming there are enough players doing Conquest that Nightfall gets 'full' or 'too high' for the system, then Nightfall will likely possess a larger portion of non-PvPers or at least those who just want to be carried to victory compared to the previous match.

Others will have to either queue up and wait their turn, or go join a different faction for this new match.

In effect, this will help to 'even' out the players and keep them switching up. It is pretty obvious that guilds, especially PvP guilds will queue up together. If the player base decides to concentrate in the previous winner's faction; these pvp guilds will have their groups either split up (due to the winning faction being 'full') or they will choose instead to constantly switch factions to one of the previous losers in order to ensure their entire guild is in the same team.

So, indeed it would seem theoretically that the previous winning faction would in fact have less chance of winning than the other factions due to an influx of 'less-than-desirable' players who are hoping through superstition or some other train of thought that the previous winning faction will win the match for them in the current match.

Or at the very least, that is my theory. Whether it works out in practice we'll just have to see.
    Last edited by Jonus; 06-25-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rennlc View Post
    I just wanna join the least populated side.
    Thats what im planning on doing.

+ Reply to Thread