+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ideas for fixing Stormcallers for PvP

Ascendant

Default Ideas for fixing Stormcallers for PvP

I have no idea how well SC performs in raiding and other end-game PvE events, however it is quite clear that SC performs very poorly in PvP. The common request is to simply increase damage, though doing so on the big finishers is likely to raise the battle cry for nerfs once people frequently start seeing huge LB crits once again. More than just a straight damage boost, SC needs to see some adjustments that allow the class to be more mobile and have better survivability.

A few thoughts on possible improvements:

Forked Lightning (FL): reduce cast time, slight increase in range and damage

Lightning Burst (LB): Keep as is, but have it remove one charge rather than all three. This gives the SC more options rather than a repetitive rotation. After a fully charged LB, the SC can either cast it again at reduced power or spend a GCD on FL.

These two changes won't have a huge impact, but they might be enough to make SC les pathetic than it currently is while giving SCs a little more mobility and flexibility. If it isn't enough, more small tweaks can be added to bring SC in line with other AoE DPS builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefelia View Post
    I have no idea how well SC performs in raiding and other end-game PvE events
    In the hot water spec 36/30 or 35/31 storm pyro, it has I think the second best AE compared to other callings.

The single target is pretty lackluster unfortunately.

Nothing beats 51 stormcaller in terms of pure damage though.

Forked Lightning (FL): reduce cast time, slight increase in range and damage
    The damage was actually reduced in going from 1.7 to 1.8 due to the increase in the amount of targets.
    I think the range was also slightly boosted.
    Lightning Burst (LB): Keep as is, but have it remove one charge rather than all three. This gives the SC more options rather than a repetitive rotation. After a fully charged LB, the SC can either cast it again at reduced power or spend a GCD on FL.
    I very much like this idea.
    It would possibly make it competitive in terms of single target, and since spells work off the urrent debuffs/buffs on a target, it provides the oppurtunity for sniping a target down, while at the same time ensuring people have a chance to heal; which was the main complaint about big crits.

aux

Stormcaller would be almost perfectly balanced in PvP, if there was no CC Diminishin Returns.
    I'm so BORED

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Aguni View Post
    I very much like this idea.
    It would possibly make it competitive in terms of single target, and since spells work off the urrent debuffs/buffs on a target, it provides the oppurtunity for sniping a target down, while at the same time ensuring people have a chance to heal; which was the main complaint about big crits.
    Exactly. The set-up and burst rotation of the SC in PvE works rather well for a number of reasons. For it to work well in a PvP environment, LB woudl either need to have the kind of burst which would result in a flood of complaints... or it needs to be modified for PvP only. I think my suggestion would be a good way to adjust LB for PvP, though I am interested in other suggestions so long as it is not the standard "more damage plz".

The damage was actually reduced in going from 1.7 to 1.8 due to the increase in the amount of targets.
    I think the range was also slightly boosted.
    Huh, I was not aware of this. And more damage/range would probably make SC overpowered for PvE. I would love to see FL become an instant cast, but that may be a wee bit much.

Isn't forked lightning already a 1.5s cast? Reducing the cast time would just result in clipping the GCD of 1.5s right?

Forked Lightning hits a lot of targets now and has decent range to actually hit em too. Downside? Against people with high valor 51 SC will be topping a massive 400 or so crit on forked. Icicle, about 1500 or so. Lightning Burst, 2500. The dmg SC puts out imo is just nearly laughable. The ramp up time for a 2500 crit is laughable. The survivability of deep SC is...sigh...laughable. 51 is good for clearing out scrubs. DR royally bones any kiting, roots, KB you have. Nevermind the fact a 5s immunity from break free means your only real defensive boon is ride the wind, assuming you don't get snared/kited. I suppose you have vortex and storm guard to add to the mix...but is a deep SC really an impressive punching bag?

I think it's safe to say if a class sees any more than 3 of its souls viable for PVP it's VERY lucky. I'm not sure if that's intended or just an unfortunate side effect of Trion facing such a daunting task of balancing SO many potential combinations for PVP.

Balancing for PVE is a cakewalk compared to PVP. Pretty much follow the guideline of comparable DPS. PVP is a whole different can of worms because suddenly you have to factor in survivability, mobility, special CDs, potential burst, etc etc. Warrior and rogue can have identical DPS for PVE but what if those builds are tossed into PVP and the rogue has significantly more gap closers, snares, speed buffs, survivability buffs, etc vs the warrior counterpart? Sure their DPS is balanced, but the builds are obviously in no way balanced for PVP as DPS is simply not the sole factor. Now imagine just how daunting a task that is trying to make so many souls/combinations actually mesh well for PVP. Honestly, I simply never imagine that will happen for more than 3-4 souls for each class at any given time.
    Last edited by Cime; 06-23-2012 at 03:40 AM.
    But at least we can get married now!
    I'll be fishing in Codex...
    Nobodi - R8 Mage Defiant Deepwood
    Somebodi - 19 Rogue Guardian Deepwood (twink wannabe)

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Cime View Post
    I think it's safe to say if a class sees any more than 3 of its souls viable for PVP it's VERY lucky. I'm not sure if that's intended or just an unfortunate side effect of Trion facing such a daunting task of balancing SO many potential combinations for PVP.
    Yeah i said that also but now that i really think about the only classes that are forced to use only 3 souls is mage and war.

Rogues can honestly use 7/8 souls with ranger being the only one u hardly see in PVP. Ive even been starting to see ppl use bladedancer in their melee specs recently. Sab/NB/RS/Sin/MM are all viable..even bard is useful if the rogue knows how to CC and who to use CC on.

Clerics can also use 6/8 souls and do well in PVP. The only ones that prolly need help are Shaman/Druid and honestly shaman isnt all that bad now.

Mages are forced to use pyro and dom. And if u want to "Try" to heal u mix in chloro. U can maybe get away with lock mixes if u have the gear to support it. But honestly running any spec and taking out the dome portion u simply gimp ur survival rate by 50% and thus ur entire viability goes down. Yeah 51 pyro works but not if u dont have a healer or a good group to hide behind.

Wars are in the same shape.. they only got Champ/RB for damage and they can mix in VK for more survival.

Personally i think they should fix ALL the souls for each calling in regards to PVP before they go adding anything to content but thats just me. I kno they have to worry about PVE but they already proved that they can simply change the damage % or even mechanics for skill when theey are used in PVP or PVE.
    Ill be singing this song for my chloro til i get buffedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JwHA495iHU
    I Xbox Controller Turn, Keyboard turners cant see me son. I Hadouken my rotations.

+ Reply to Thread