+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Keirsti's 1.9 Conquest Rogue Spec Discussion Thread

Default Keirsti's 1.9 Conquest Rogue Spec Discussion Thread

Hello internet friends.

In anticipation of 1.9, I decided I would share the six roles I intend to be playing in Conquest with all of you, as you may find yourselves wonder what to help maximize your performance in groups of varying sizes. I myself don't know exactly who I'll end up playing with, but I figure there will be a variety of different group makeups, whether I end up playing with a guild or just pugging my way to victory in larger or smaller groups.

N.B. (ESPECIALLY YOU, TRION MODS): I opted to post this on the PvP forums instead of the class boards because I figure that most of you, with a PvP-centric perspective from across all classes, will be better able to give me feedback and suggestions for changes to help maximize synergies with other Conquest-friendly builds.

-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-

Build #1 - 51 Bard/8 Riftstalker/6 Ranger - "The Traditional"
    Pairing the 51 Bard build, which has value due to the virtuoso spike healing potential and the addition of Verse of Joy as a remedy for Team Short Bus failing the idiot test when it comes to Dominator abilities, with light utility from ranger (a snare for peeling) and some of the utility from Riftstalker (added AP + damage reduction + health buff + a blink + Guarded Steel), this is the 51 Bard build that I feel will be best suited to Conquest.

-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-=~=-

Build #2 - 34 Bard/32 Riftstalker/0 Bladedancer - "It's called Bard/Riftstalker, not Blinkbard or any other Dunsparrow-esque crap."
    The build I've been running since beta, this build serves dual purpose as an aggressive, bait-style bard for larger play (due to defensive utility up the nose and a boatload of health), but also as my preferred bard build for smaller-scale combat (two to having two insta mezzes and plenty of durability). It also works well within warfronts, adding to its multipurposity.

Build #3 - 22 Bard/44 Marksman/0 Saboteur - "The Bardsman"
    Built with a clear mindset towards filling a utility slot within a structure or semi-structured warband, the Bardsman build helps to fill the slot of the dedicated purger/debuffer by pairing it with some of the bard's utility, especially considering the high value of Anthem of Competence in an open-world PvP extension game. You also get Adhesive Bomb as a 0pt, to help your raid with extension/mobility and protect your back line. Finally, you get a little bit of dps oomph and can assist off your raid's defacto MA for great heal debuffing justice. It's niche, but I have used it to effect in the past when we had two bards in a raid. Not the best choice for solo barding.

Build #4 - 34 Bard/32 Saboteur/0 Bladedancer - "The BomBard"
    Designed to complement a bomb group (by which I don't mean saboteurs, by which I-- you know what, if you don't know what a bomb group is, l2p) by giving them some of the bard keys as well as adding MOAR BOMBZ and Virtuoso + CoF spam to the mix, this is one of those specs that really has little other use outside of that specific scenario. But you know what? I like that specific scenario. Especially since it might make Majorin rage hard. I don't really have anything else to say.

Build #5 - 34 Bard/32 Assassin/0 Bladedancer - "The Minstrel"
    This spec is designed to be a complementary piece for a stealth group. Gets you the CC to tilt the fight in your favour, the dps to jump on a stealth train, and healing/field rebuffing. The only problem is it doesn't have a rez, but you can role swap for that ofc. Honestly if you could get the permastealth + runspeed increase elsewhere I'd totally be, like, looking at Nightblade instead, but I put huge value on these in Conquest. Still worth looking at, because, Cadence + SoD = BEASTMODE.

Build #6 - 34 Bard/32 Ranger/0 Bard - The "What Every New Player Tries To Level As"
    I actually haven't decided on a sixth build yet but Bard/Ranger sounds good. If they hadn't nerfed PTI I'd totally be doing 51 Bard/15 Infiltrator for massive 15s-long AoE interrupts.

I am always looking to refine these ideas further, and I would like your feedback on synergistic builds. I understand that there are a variety of plausible ways to spend spec points within these builds, so I'm open to hearing about how you'd move a couple of points around, but I'd really like to hear about something amazing I might have overlooked.

Thanks in advance for your time MY FELLOW STALWARTS OF THE RIFT PVP COMMUNITY.

P.S. Suck it, Quiescent.
    P.P.S. I'm actually serious about viable bard builds, though I probably only need four.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

NB/RS
    MM/RS
    A Sin build with slip away
    51 Sab

But since i barely have room for 1 pvp role i will run MM/RS.
    Gnarlwood - Belladonna - P50 Rogue
    Seastone - Puandro - P24 Mage
    Im here for the PvE, not the unbalanced subpar PvP.
    Just Waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyera View Post
    Build #2 - 34 Bard/32 Riftstalker/0 Bladedancer - "It's called Bard/Riftstalker, not Blinkbard or any other Dunsparrow-esque crap."
    The build I've been running since beta, this build serves dual purpose as an aggressive, bait-style bard for larger play (due to defensive utility up the nose and a boatload of health), but also as my preferred bard build for smaller-scale combat (two to having two insta mezzes and plenty of durability). It also works well within warfronts, adding to its multipurposity.

Build #3 - 22 Bard/44 Marksman/0 Saboteur - "The Bardsman"

Build #4 - 34 Bard/32 Saboteur/0 Bladedancer - "The BomBard"

Build #5 - 34 Bard/32 Assassin/0 Bladedancer - "The Minstrel"
    Lol, ok there Kyera. I like how you bash naming a build and then go on to name several others.

Helpful post nonetheless.

Some additional playstyle info..buffs etc might be nice

Quote Originally Posted by Division View Post
    Some additional playstyle info..buffs etc might be nice
    Well, bards don't really have macros, and it's not hard to make builder macros/finish macros for the other dumpy stuff brought in. As for buffs, MM might be the only one with a question mark, but it should always be EM + VM. If there is a build for which playstyle is confusing, despite the info given, please let me know. The first spec plays like a traditional bard (keep your distance, Cadence for procs, use CoR and CC as needed, use VoJ as needed). The second spec in raid situations plays a little more aggressive because you can sit in GP, and then mash blinks to get out of danger, but you do the same thing as a rule -- build CP w/ Cadence, CoR and CC as needed; in 1v1 situations, you pretty much just Cadence -> CoR to keep your dps up and, well, CC as needed. The third spec plays kind of like a normal MM with less oomph, because you're here for the utility of the motifs (if your other bard forgets or doesn't have Resonance, in which case you can split) and Anthem of Competence, but shouldn't really be used if your raid needs a /real/ bard. The fourth spec is just there for motifs + runspeed for a bomb group -- you faceroll your keyboard because Saboteur is OP and easymode, if you follow the forums, so that's easy. For the fifth spec, go play DAoC and try a minstrel. For the sixth spec, ask in region what the best spec to level with is and how to play it, and then do that.
    Last edited by Kyera; 06-20-2012 at 07:19 PM.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

Telaran

I can't tell.. do you like Bard?

I will probably run 34 Bard/32 RS when I bard, or a regular PVE 51 Bard spec.

My 34/32 Bard/RS spec differs a bit from yours though, here's the link.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M....xcthzRkqok.-6

Bard doesn't differ too much, although I take the 1 point you put in Extended Grief and put it in the AE mez. I don't see the point in taking 1 in Extended Grief over an AE mez for a PVP spec, but Bard/RS has a lot of room for preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetheth View Post
    Bard doesn't differ too much, although I take the 1 point you put in Extended Grief and put it in the AE mez. I don't see the point in taking 1 in Extended Grief over an AE mez for a PVP spec, but Bard/RS has a lot of room for preference.
    The build listed there is not my current 34/32 (warfront build). My current 34/32 is more like yours, but I shuffle the RS points around a bit (I drop to 4/5 Shadow Guard for 2/2 Hasted Time, and 3/3 Rift Scavenger for 3/3 Boosted Recovery; at varying times I have picked up Ruthless Stalker for crits on CoR and the like). Bard points are identical. For this one I grabbed 1/2 Extended Grief since it's for Conquest (and, ostensibly, larger-scale fights), but really, you probably don't need more than 30s anyway. The AoE mez is just a dead point in a meatgrinder like that (imo), barring rare situations.

Telaran

The build listed there is not my current 34/32 (warfront build). My current 34/32 is more like yours, but I shuffle the RS points around a bit (I drop to 4/5 Shadow Guard for 2/2 Hasted Time, and 3/3 Rift Scavenger for 3/3 Boosted Recovery; at varying times I have picked up Ruthless Stalker for crits on CoR and the like). Bard points are identical. For this one I grabbed 1/2 Extended Grief since it's for Conquest (and, ostensibly, larger-scale fights), but really, you probably don't need more than 30s anyway. The AoE mez is just a dead point in a meatgrinder like that (imo), barring rare situations.
    Ah, ok. I see dropping to 4/5 SG for 2/2 Hasted Time, either way doesn't really matter.. just preference, I may do the same at some point, it doesn't proc a ton nor last very long, but it's incredibly useful when it does.
    I don't see the point in taking 3/3 Boosted Recovery over 3/3 Rift Scavenger though, once you learn to use it, it's almost OP when you're playing with your team, I almost always take it in /RS builds.

I understand about the AE Mez too, I don't use it a -ton- ... but I don't generally need longer than 30s as you said, and I don't find those occasions where the AE mez is handy too rare, just not frequent, so I'd rather put the point in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetheth View Post
    I don't see the point in taking 3/3 Boosted Recovery over 3/3 Rift Scavenger though, once you learn to use it, it's almost OP when you're playing with your team, I almost always take it in /RS builds.
    I guess I'm not seeing it, but I also don't find myself in the danger zone nearly ever in Bard/RS, so ymmv.

Telaran

I guess I'm not seeing it, but I also don't find myself in the danger zone nearly ever in Bard/RS, so ymmv.
    It depends with me, as Bard/RS, I try to stay on the front lines and soak up as much damage as I can rather than let them beat on the squishy DPS since this spec can take so much of a beating.. without it I'd just recall back to a safe spot or LOS and heal up before moving back through the team to support them again, with it, I can sit there all day long while I spam Cadence and CoR while CCing people and providing buffs for the team, when I start getting low, I just make sure I have 5 points up on a target my team is focusing and don't use a finisher so that I get the heal when they kill him.

P.S. Suck it, Quiescent.
    Them's fightin' words. Have you transferred off the kiddie bracket yet?

In all seriousness, that 44/22 MM/Bard build is something I'm going to pick up. I've been keeping to my MM/RS for when TFS would do 10v10s for the unkillable eradispam, but I feel like that would be a better build for group support. I really only needed it against MMAC so I could screw with their back line and hopefully get them to focus me, but that Bard subspec would provide a lot more utility than two interrupts and being annoying as hell.
    But other than that Bard still blows kthnx
    That aside, I'll just be using my MM/RS and basic 51 Sab. The biggest change for my specs in 1.9 will be whether or not to drop Sidesteps for Adhesive Bomb. I feel like MM/RS would be overpowered as hell with a slow, and more people will be getting +hit so I think it's probably a good investment.
    Last edited by Zaros; 06-20-2012 at 09:11 PM.
    ~Quiescent

coy
    Telaran

For the fifth spec, go play DAoC and try a minstrel
    Minstrels... I'll test this spec because of the good old times in DaoC. Nice idea, thx!

On a related note, nerf Flashback.

Champion

Reminds me of 1.4 when I had 6 parachamp specs
    Ferbo - Deepwood

Filthy Casual 4 life

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    Them's fightin' words. Have you transferred off the kiddie bracket yet?
    Kiddie bracket makes me feel good about my ability to play video games.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast