Closed Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 268
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: really bad pvp system

  1. #1
    Sword of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    890

    Default really bad pvp system

    I recently came back to Rift and I cant believe how staggeringly bad the pvp is.

    Its a total gearfest. I;ve got a set of pvp gear, but its a bit outdated now, I can barely touch people in better gear and they demolish me in 2-3 hits, nothing I can do. I am literally useless until I get gear.

    and I can only get gear by being ganked for hours on hours on hours....f that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega326 View Post
    While we're making wild accusations without any backup, I'm going to go ahead and say that you are a 12 year old horse named Suzy that lives in a crater on the moon... and I am absolutely correct.

  2. #2
    Ascendant Violacea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12,128

    Default

    I've given up thinking too much otherwise. It is pretty gear based. Best you can hope is that you run into equals or lowers more often than highers. Strive to be the highest and know one day you will only run into equals and lowers.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

  3. #3
    Sword of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    I've given up thinking too much otherwise. It is pretty gear based. Best you can hope is that you run into equals or lowers more often than highers. Strive to be the highest and know one day you will only run into equals and lowers.
    sooo...if I do put up with this crap my reward is to gank others...thats pvp is it? I'll pass thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega326 View Post
    While we're making wild accusations without any backup, I'm going to go ahead and say that you are a 12 year old horse named Suzy that lives in a crater on the moon... and I am absolutely correct.

  4. #4
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,865

    Default

    yes gear is the ONLY reason why you fail. You can believe that! really!

  5. #5
    Sword of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antigonos View Post
    yes gear is the ONLY reason why you fail. You can believe that! really!
    when I get hit for 3/4 of my health in one shot, and yet when I unload a 5point combo finsihser and it barely scratches them, yes its gear.

    Its gear that gives them massively more health and dmg.

    I used to really enjoy pvp when Rift came out, i really liked levelling pvp and endgame until the gear cycle got out of hand.

    Gear scaling is nearly exponential....its pretty ******ed. But no, you keep your head up your arse and keep thinking you are skilled rather than geared.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega326 View Post
    While we're making wild accusations without any backup, I'm going to go ahead and say that you are a 12 year old horse named Suzy that lives in a crater on the moon... and I am absolutely correct.

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zetans View Post
    I recently came back to Rift and I cant believe how staggeringly bad the pvp is.

    Its a total gearfest. I;ve got a set of pvp gear, but its a bit outdated now, I can barely touch people in better gear and they demolish me in 2-3 hits, nothing I can do. I am literally useless until I get gear.

    and I can only get gear by being ganked for hours on hours on hours....f that.
    I will explain to you how this works. Hopefully it will make sense - it took quite a bit of time for me to grasp it myself. If you lose in PvP to level 50 P40 characters that enjoy a 200%-300% gear advantage due to months of PvP and PvE grinding, then you are bad. Do not blame the gear issue or you will be called out for QQ. However, if you lose in the lower level warfronts to people who enjoy a 20%-30% gear advantage from 2-3 days of grinding, then it is socially acceptable to blame the gear. Just make sure you use the code word "twink" so people understand what you are saying. With this in mind, I suggest you try PvP in one of the sub-50 brackets. If you feel the need to complain about gear, you will find your comments to be welcomed and even encouraged by the majority of posters in the PvP board. Good luck!

  7. #7
    Ascendant Violacea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12,128

    Default

    The pvp system also hides lots of hidden features. Did you know that any temp buff with a CD longer than 30s actually has a hidden mechanic that exponentially increases your raw odds of dying the longer the CD. So if you pop a nice 2m CD, you inherently gain an automatic 37.2 - 44.3% increased chance of dying based on my testing.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

  8. #8
    Ascendant Meina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesauce View Post
    I will explain to you how this works. Hopefully it will make sense - it took quite a bit of time for me to grasp it myself. If you lose in PvP to level 50 P40 characters that enjoy a 200%-300% gear advantage due to months of PvP and PvE grinding, then you are bad. Do not blame the gear issue or you will be called out for QQ. However, if you lose in the lower level warfronts to people who enjoy a 20%-30% gear advantage from 2-3 days of grinding, then it is socially acceptable to blame the gear. Just make sure you use the code word "twink" so people understand what you are saying. With this in mind, I suggest you try PvP in one of the sub-50 brackets. If you feel the need to complain about gear, you will find your comments to be welcomed and even encouraged by the majority of posters in the PvP board. Good luck!

    This is so very sad, yet so very true.

    I like your style...

  9. #9
    Ascendant Zaros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zetans View Post
    I recently came back to Rift and I cant believe how staggeringly bad the pvp is.

    Its a total gearfest. I;ve got a set of pvp gear, but its a bit outdated now, I can barely touch people in better gear and they demolish me in 2-3 hits, nothing I can do. I am literally useless until I get gear.

    and I can only get gear by being ganked for hours on hours on hours....f that.
    In 1.9 you'll be bolstered to R36.

    Also, what class are you? Asking for L2P advice does a lot more than starting a QQ thread. People can give you builds, playstyle tips and much more, believe it or not there's actually skill involved in this game. You can be mediocre with P40 gear, but it's experience that closes the gap.
    Last edited by Zaros; 06-18-2012 at 02:01 PM.
    ~Quiescent

  10. #10
    Ascendant Kyera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,402

    Default

    The PvP system /is/ terrible.

    Unlike most MMOs, in Rift, your level, spec (derived from your ability to Google), gear, time played, and RNG all play a significant role, instead of the game being purely reliant on raw talent.

    This model runs completely contrary to those found in other games, like WoW, DAoC, EVE Online, TOR, WAR, or any number of other smaller MMOs.

    The gear/progression gap is impossible to overcome with skill, unlike those games, where a character fresh to the end game could easily destroy a seasoned veteran who wasn't very good. Gear and all those other elements were NEVER a factor.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

  11. #11
    Sword of Telara Valavus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    869

    Default

    Warriors can Sword & Board to distract dps.
    Mages can Chloro or Dom to assist teams.
    Rogues can Bard or MM Eradispam healers or FF targets.
    Clerics can heal...a lot.

    This can all be done with bare minimum gear with great success provided you make a Valor core, and wear a full set of PvP gear. We all took our lumps to get where we are, suck it up and hit respawn. And guess what? When you hit that magic R40(and provided you have the proper skills) you will earn a big number on your head, which will give you that low-rank feeling all over again.

    TL;DR: Stop trying to be Rambo with no machine gun. Find a job to support him until you find your own bow with explosive arrowheads.
    Lasthope - Cleric
    Newhope - Salty Healing Mage Re-roll
    <Ready Check>
    Prime Progress: GSB 5/5 RoS 4/4 RotP 4/4

  12. #12
    Champion of Telara Puandro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyera View Post
    The PvP system /is/ terrible.

    Unlike most MMOs, in Rift, your level, spec (derived from your ability to Google), gear, time played, and RNG all play a significant role, instead of the game being purely reliant on raw talent.

    This model runs completely contrary to those found in other games, like WoW, DAoC, EVE Online, TOR, WAR, or any number of other smaller MMOs.

    The gear/progression gap is impossible to overcome with skill, unlike those games, where a character fresh to the end game could easily destroy a seasoned veteran who wasn't very good. Gear and all those other elements were NEVER a factor.
    This, in DAoC i would make fresh level 50 toons with ML0 and CL0 and go SOLO into NF and kill people Rank 10+ all the time. Think you can do that in Rift? GL with that man.

    The PvP is garbage and to the people who say you need to stand the grind and be a punching bag for a few weeks/months (depending on your play time) are stupid because once you reach max gear you will still be playing an unbalanced game not worth your time.
    Gnarlwood - Belladonna - P50 Rogue
    Seastone - Puandro - P24 Mage
    Im here for the PvE, not the unbalanced subpar PvP.
    Just Waiting...

  13. #13
    Ascendant Nuuli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesauce View Post
    I will explain to you how this works. Hopefully it will make sense - it took quite a bit of time for me to grasp it myself. If you lose in PvP to level 50 P40 characters that enjoy a 200%-300% gear advantage due to months of PvP and PvE grinding, then you are bad. Do not blame the gear issue or you will be called out for QQ. However, if you lose in the lower level warfronts to people who enjoy a 20%-30% gear advantage from 2-3 days of grinding, then it is socially acceptable to blame the gear. Just make sure you use the code word "twink" so people understand what you are saying. With this in mind, I suggest you try PvP in one of the sub-50 brackets. If you feel the need to complain about gear, you will find your comments to be welcomed and even encouraged by the majority of posters in the PvP board. Good luck!
    It took me awhile to wrap me head around this concept. But I did. The light has lit and you've shown me the way. Thank you.

  14. #14
    Ascendant Kyera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Puandro View Post
    This, in DAoC i would make fresh level 50 toons with ML0 and CL0 and go SOLO into NF and kill people Rank 10+ all the time. Think you can do that in Rift? GL with that man.
    ... goddammit.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

  15. #15
    General of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    839

    Default

    Of course gear makes a difference. It is a gear orientated game. Wher is the fun if after months of PvP you are no different to a complete noob?

    There is plenty you can do to still be effective with no gear. You just have to play smart. I have been enjoying my r40 War for a long time, but since he has everything I temporarily retired him and have been on my Rogue.

    It was hard work, no PvP gear in WFs. But there was plenty I could do. Hit and Run tactics with the Marksman, even now with much better gear he palys the same style and his key effectiveness is Purge and Interrupt - neither require stats. DPS is a secondary function to enjoy inbetween keeping control of peoples buffs. Sure at higher gear lvl I have more room for error and I can now dish out decent DPS too.

    Stealthing with Sin and taking people by surprise, supporting other better geared players. For a long time I used pure PvE gear because given how quick I died in the opn it made sense to max out damage and Slip Away.

    On the War it is much harder, you are in the thick of things and drop fast. The best solution is a tanky spec along with tank gear if you PvE. Just soak up damage because people are silly enough to waste time attacking you despite being irrelevant. Try going high Voidknight so you can be a pain with silence.

    In all honesty I actually enjoyed the challenge of being afresh toon, maybe I am biased because having been r40 for a while being an underdog is oddly enjoyable especailly when played cleverly you take down someone superior.

    The biggest issue with PvP gearing is the fact the first tier is terrible and having to use it is insulting given that stat wise, PvE my chars wouldn't be wearing that rubbish at lvl 40. Patch 1.9 is removing that as the T1 PvP stuff and the current T2 gear will be the new T1, I personally feel that is an important change because the new 'baseline' gear gives you pretty good stats and makes a big difference to your damage so that you can have valor and manage to do relevant DPS
    Last edited by Asteldian; 06-18-2012 at 03:12 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts