+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: PVP improvement idea: auto balance teams

Default PVP improvement idea: auto balance teams

Hey Trion,

maybe you get tired of crazy ideas from your community but i want to bring this up anyway

Don’t you think it is possible to auto balance the teams? You could put all the data that is collected during a wf in a database and develop some abstrackt „skill level“ to see what a player is worth for a team. I know it is impossible to value a player by only looking at the numbers but I think it can help anyway.

You cold also add a queing system (like the dungeon finder) to make sure that every team has at least 2 healers.

I think something like this could improve the pvp experience a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Siiris View Post
    Hey Trion,

maybe you get tired of crazy ideas from your community but i want to bring this up anyway

Don’t you think it is possible to auto balance the teams? You could put all the data that is collected during a wf in a database and develop some abstrackt „skill level“ to see what a player is worth for a team. I know it is impossible to value a player by only looking at the numbers but I think it can help anyway.

You cold also add a queing system (like the dungeon finder) to make sure that every team has at least 2 healers.

Considering the dungeon system in every mmo requires certain classes to start, it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to apply this to warfronts. But then again PvE $'s > PvP $'s.
    Shayde@Seastone

Quote Originally Posted by Siiris View Post
    Hey Trion,

Id love this idea to be a possibility, but.......... can you imagine the q times?

With the merc system it should be simple to implement with no effect on q times. There is no faction loyalty in this game anyway so who cares whose side you're on? If there are not enough people willing to fill certain roles it can have a time out or something. Too often it is one side with no heals and the other stacked with heals. It always amazes me how often I end up on the side with no heals, it is almost as if Trion matches it this way. I know they don't but it is baffling how often it happens.
    Last edited by Mako482; 06-15-2012 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako482 View Post
    With the merc system it should be simple to implement with no effect on q times.
    Sure, the merc system would help if this option were possible, but they introduced this to help q times, I hardly see them introducing a system that could make them worse......

But don't get me wrong, I like this idea and agree it would be a simple implement for them.

aux

Since we can change classes inside the warfront, it is impossible to balance.
    The only thing they can do is support organized PvP - players can balance it themselves then.
    Last edited by aux; 06-15-2012 at 05:09 AM.
    I'm so BORED

Soulwalker

Default Good Idea

This would make playing in warfronts much better, I am kinda getting tired of facing a 5 or even possible 10man premade vs pugs. There really is no chance of winning, and I do not see how the other team enjoys facerolling no competition at all.

This is an idea that would be terrible if it was forced every WF. But it would be a great /callvote option.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Last edited by Zaros; 06-15-2012 at 08:07 AM.
    ~Quiescent

Ascendant

One of my old favourite games - Shattered Galaxy - had an interesting system to balance PvP. Each level/stat bracket was assigned a certain value, and each side of the battle would fill up to a certain value rather than number of players.

Translating this to Rift, it would be like assigning values to lvl 50 players based on rank:

- rank 1-10: 6
    - rank 11-20: 7
    - rank 21-30: 8
    - rank 31-40: 9

So, for instance, rather than having a 20 vs 20 match at codex, it would be 150 points vs 150 points. One team could have 16 r40s while the other would have 24 r10s.

It worked damned well in SG, and would likely at least mitigate the utter thrashing I occasionally see when one team has an overwhelming gear advantage.

It would do little to balance out the classes, but that problem would be better addressed by making mage and rogue healing on par with cleric healing in warfronts.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    You know what else would be a good idea? For you to go back to the Mr Pototo Head avatar..

Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Division View Post
    You know what else would be a good idea? For you to go back to the Mr Pototo Head avatar..

Just saying...
    This one generally mirrors my expression when reading the forums, most of the time. That's why I like it
    ~Quiescent

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    This one generally mirrors my expression when reading the forums, most of the time. That's why I like it
    Kinda looks like me after waking up with a hangover after a night of reading the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako482 View Post
    With the merc system it should be simple to implement with no effect on q times. There is no faction loyalty in this game anyway so who cares whose side you're on? If there are not enough people willing to fill certain roles it can have a time out or something. Too often it is one side with no heals and the other stacked with heals. It always amazes me how often I end up on the side with no heals, it is almost as if Trion matches it this way. I know they don't but it is baffling how often it happens.

yup...or fix chloromancer so they are more effective as healer in PVP. AND OR give pet classes a healing pet... Theres an IDEA I vote for.
    Last edited by swordfish; 06-15-2012 at 09:53 AM.

I'm kind of on the fence about this one.

On the one hand, yes, it would be nice if we were ensured that each team had an equal number of healers.

On the other hand, it could also be seen as another attempt to have Trion dumb down the game. Almost everyone has access to a healing role (yes, some do it better than others blah blah blah). Maybe if people stepped up when their team had too few healers we wouldn't need to have Trion hold our hands as much.

If Trion did attempt to balance teams, role wise, queue times almost definitely go up. Let's face it, not a lot of people enjoy healing as much as they enjoy playing the wargod. If Trion doesn't do anything about matching, then we'll be stuck with what we have now, WF's with too few healers one team or the other (or both). It's kind of a "six of one, half a dozen of the other" thing for me.

As for developing "Some sort of abstract skill level" system, I think that would a ton of programming for very little return. There really is no way to come up with an accurate assessment of individual WF performance in a game like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast