Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: The Problem with removing Exp Lock

Rift Chaser

Default The Problem with removing Exp Lock

HI guys! Yes, I'm back. My return is a little more strategecal than simply I got bored elsewhere, but that's neither here nor there.

I am here to give an observation that will come to pass...'Mark my words'

I know there are controversy over twinks. Some of you do not like us...I get that, honestly, I do. I just played in several low lvel warfronts today, and I did, as Kyera said, and inspected everyone. Out of a WF of 15 people on my side, randomly inspecting them, only 2 actually had sigils equiped (starters ones, that you get for free..??) and of those two, only one had an essence in it, and it was green, and not even 'class oriented' (in this he had a dex essence, and he was a cleric). One rogue (in a MM/ranger build) had a bow that was 2.6 DPS and had +1 dex and +1str. Needless to say, the sad state of people joining these warfronts does not embolden me to the future of rift PvP. /aside off

With 1.9 and the subsequent death of 'twinking' low level warfronts will become a wasteland. If you think that all the people scared off by 'twinks' will return and pick up low level PvP to accelerate through levels, do I have a different story for you.

With the upcoming 1.9 pacth, low level instant adventures will be introduced. And since people can no longer 'exp lock, the only real option is to level. And so...people will naturally choose the easiest path of advancement. Wait 20 minutes for a PvP queue, or wait 3 secs (roughly) for a IA pop. Again, path of least resistance, people will naturally choose the IA's and hence, less people will queue for low level PvP. After all, its only about progression, correct?? So, PvP = slow exp, and IA's equal fast track exp.

Ok, now, those PvP'ers that mixed PvP during their course of leveling now no longer have tons of favor to even buy the low level PvP gear to jump into level 50's with in order to be remotely competative, so now, you have P40's (50's) with a healthy appetite for new blood munching on the tears of those who have not been subjected to teh horror that is competative PvP in the 50's bracket.

Just today, and I don't give two flying figs, I joined with a level 50 I had never PvP'd with and had a solid build built on experience and knowledge gleaned through people's unintentional feedback on the forums. Through exptensive knowledge and research I played my rogue in her first PvP match.

*I* knew what was going to happen. *I* knew my chances of kill vs getting killed. I didn't whine complain or gripe about the wilted balance in this bracket. I knew that there would be P40's (not that I was checking) and I knew as a P1, I had a snowball's chance in the viod of actually being viable in my game. I was non-plussed about eating turf the 7 times I was killed. (*^_^*....I walked into a warriors riftblade....oops. Yes, I should know better. In my defense, I have *just* returned )

So now, you have regularly ungeared and now unknowledgable people joining the level 50's ranks that will complain, complain, complain because the matches are soooo widley unbalanced that it make many quit. The rude awakening to this brick wall of PvP advancement will make twinking a joke.

Oh well, I will have fun while twinking is around. I will continue to play until I find another avenue to channel my creative energies. I am just giving a warning. Level 50 PvP will be fine, but I reckon that low level warfronts will suffer. Already, I am noticing extremely long queues since my return, only to find I got...Black Garden...Yay.....

Oh for the love of god, enough of the Twink threads already.

I've come to accept that undergeared players will get into the 50 bracket and cry about that instead of twinking. We didn't need another thread about it.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

So according to your thread, twinks constitute 1/15 people in a Warfront.
    But when twinks leave, queue times are going to go from 3 seconds to 20 minutes.

Makes sense!

edit: Also, with 1.9 bolstering is going all the way up to R36, so new players are going to go through a lot less hell than they are currently.
    Last edited by Zaros; 06-13-2012 at 04:10 PM.
    ~Quiescent

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    So according to your thread, twinks constitute 1/15 people in a Warfront.
    But when twinks leave, queue times are going to go from 3 seconds to 20 minutes.

Makes sense!

edit: Also, with 1.9 bolstering is going all the way up to R36, so new players are going to go through a lot less hell than they are currently.
    I think you did a tl:dr and didn't glean anything from it.

the 3 secs was in reference to IA pops..and 20mins was in reference to low level warfront pops.

And I doubt the bolster system will be of any value. Just like the bolster system is today. Sure, you may not get one shot, but you'll still stand a snowball's chance in the viod against p40's.

But...consequently there may be more balanced warfront pops when people are all FORCED to be level 50.

I love that word,...forced.

Noone is forced to twink or lock exp, but everyone is now forced to be 50.

Yay for options.

I love it

Champion

Also, with 1.9 bolstering is going all the way up to R36, so new players are going to go through a lot less hell than they are currently.
    After reading this... I looked over at your avatar and it was like looking in a mirror!

...kinda getting sick of the lengths Trion is going to Carebear this game into redicu-stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by tevikolady View Post
    I think you did a tl:dr and didn't glean anything from it.
    Nope, I read the whole thing.

the 3 secs was in reference to IA pops..and 20mins was in reference to low level warfront pops.
    You're right, I subbed 3 seconds in as a measure of the time it takes for Warfronts to pop, but based on information I've gleaned from reading twink threads over the past months, I can say that they're nothing less than a full minute. And even if they were a full minute, that'd still be a 2000% increase in queue times, judging by what you said. Based on information you provided in the OP, twinks account for 7% of the lower level bracket population. So, we're losing 7% of the population, but queue times will increase 2000%? Remember, this is all using information that you provided.

Seems legit.

And I doubt the bolster system will be of any value. Just like the bolster system is today. Sure, you may not get one shot, but you'll still stand a snowball's chance in the viod against p40's.
    That's cool, but you have nothing to back that up. Anecdotal phrases like "I doubt that" mean absolutely nothing.

But...consequently there may be more balanced warfront pops when people are all FORCED to be level 50.

I love that word,...forced.

Noone is forced to twink or lock exp, but everyone is now forced to be 50.

Yay for options.

I love it

Lol. That's the most liberal use of the word 'forced' I've ever seen. Being forced to do things that both make sense and have nothing wrong with them are so awful. Does being forced to breath annoy you? What about being forced to eat? Or being forced to eat things with your mouth, rather than with your ears. Keep in mind, though, that no one is forcing you to play this game.
    Last edited by Zaros; 06-13-2012 at 05:25 PM.
    ~Quiescent

Rift Chaser

That's cool, but you have nothing to back that up. Anecdotal phrases like "I doubt that" mean absolutely nothing.

Well, saying that you will be bolstered to P36 will make things 'easier' is anedoctal as well. Until 1.9 is released to live, we won't really know.

Well, saying that you will be bolstered to P36 will make things 'easier' is anedoctal as well. Until 1.9 is released to live, we won't really know.
    ..No it's not, it's a direct improvement to the bolstering cap. It isn't anecdotal at all. Things will be easier for those ranking up, that's an absolute given.
    Last edited by Zaros; 06-13-2012 at 05:46 PM.
    ~Quiescent

Champion

These threads are pointless, you're not going to change anyones mind about this.

A lot of people simply don't care if twinks are gone because they don't play twinks and saying stuff like "twinks are only 1 in 30 people in WFS but when twinks are gone WFs are dead" isn't going to help convince anyone otherwise.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Cammyle View Post
    These threads are pointless, you're not going to change anyones mind about this.

A lot of people simply don't care if twinks are gone because they don't play twinks and saying stuff like "twinks are only 1 in 30 people in WFS but when twinks are gone WFs are dead" isn't going to help convince anyone otherwise.
    O
    M
    G

Noone read what I said.

I didn't say TWINKS are going to kill low level warfronts.

I said IA's were.

Twinks were a byproduct of exp lock. Without exp lock, noone has any reason to 'stay around awhile' and 'twink out. PvP was used as a emans to fast track exp, and with the intro of IA's, IA"s will be better and faster exp. Thus, low level warfronts will die.

O
    M
    G

Noone read what I said.

I didn't say TWINKS are going to kill low level warfronts.

I said IA's were.

Twinks were a byproduct of exp lock. Without exp lock, noone has any reason to 'stay around awhile' and 'twink out. PvP was used as a emans to fast track exp, and with the intro of IA's, IA"s will be better and faster exp. Thus, low level warfronts will die.
    No, I see it being more of a matter of preference than that.

People who prefer to PvP still will choose to level via PvP, and will level up nicely by doing so. You're right in the fact that there are some people who will use IA primarily, but it's still going to be a choice among other choices.

Now the average person will be more inclined to PvP since they won't get 2-shot most of the time.
    Zev & Manafont of Seastone
    Vinco Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Raen View Post
    No, I see it being more of a matter of preference than that.

People who prefer to PvP still will choose to level via PvP, and will level up nicely by doing so. You're right in the fact that there are some people who will use IA primarily, but it's still going to be a choice among other choices.
    This. If people want to PVP at lower levels, they will.

Quote Originally Posted by Raen View Post
    Now the average person will be more inclined to PvP since they won't get 2-shot most of the time.
    This, also. The amount of people you'll lose to IA will be way less than the people you'll gain because twinks are gone. Also, no one who was going for the max exp/H was doing PVP anyways, so I seriously doubt IA is going to impact the PVP population at all.
    ~Quiescent

Rift Chaser

This. If people want to PVP at lower levels, they will.

This, also. The amount of people you'll lose to IA will be way less than the people you'll gain because twinks are gone. Also, no one who was going for the max exp/H was doing PVP anyways, so I seriously doubt IA is going to impact the PVP population at all.
    yet...repeatedly, I still see people PvP'ing despite twinks being present.

While I understand and can cope with teh removal of exp lock, oh well, done is done (not say I have to like it) I really foresee a huge lack of low lvel PvP, even if twinks are gone, people just wanna get to the end game, and honestly, pvp won't be the way to do that, and warfronts will be abandoned in favor of progression.

It's a given.

yet...repeatedly, I still see people PvP'ing despite twinks being present.

While I understand and can cope with teh removal of exp lock, oh well, done is done (not say I have to like it) I really foresee a huge lack of low lvel PvP, even if twinks are gone, people just wanna get to the end game, and honestly, pvp won't be the way to do that, and warfronts will be abandoned in favor of progression.

It's a given.
    Yeah, you've said that, and we told you why it isn't true.
    ~Quiescent

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast