Closed Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: The Problem with removing Exp Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    Remember herbdoctor?

"These grandfathered item exploits are balanced, you all are just stupid for not thinking of them."
    Funny how you remember the one person who defended grandfathered items and yet you forget about the dozen or so other XP lock supporters that said they should be removed.

You also seem to have forgotten all the pro XP lock people who supported Trion when they added level requirements to several items (rep runes, etc.) that were only available to people with level 50 toons.
    Last edited by Meina; 06-14-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Kyera View Post
    Oh, and since the post where I gave you the tl;dr also got deleted, just in case you did miss that:

It's different. Different specs, different playstyles, different abilities, different dynamics, different hierarchies, different threats, different speed, different strategies, different players.

Edit:

His thread is about the potential impact of the removal of XP lock on other facets of the game, not "what is the motivation of twinks", even if motivation may be a topic. Besides, OT posts don't necessarily get removed.

The statement in red contradicts the statement in blue, especially if you're claiming to be familiar with my posts and position on XP locking and twinking, which you clearly, clearly are not. If you are not trying to bait or troll, and you are not trying to be rude, perhaps you should frame your post in a different manner, especially with a post history that is ragging on twinks.
    I would like to know how they contradict each other, please enlighten me. And I know from personal experience OT posts get removed, mine do all the time so I stopped making OT posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Vickuz View Post
    I would like to know how they contradict each other, please enlighten me. And I know from personal experience OT posts get removed, mine do all the time so I stopped making OT posts.
    "I'm not trying to bait or troll you, but I'm going to open this 'conversation' up by asking you a charged question, and then I'm going to repeatedly claim to have read your posts, and then repeatedly make offensive, rude, entirely false statements about your motives and reasons for playing twinks, and lace it with a light dose of condescension, despite being completely unfamiliar with your actual motives, reasoning, or end-game PvP pedigree."

Try harder. I was willing to take one infraction, but I'm not taking a second. At least not until this one expires. ;)
    Last edited by Kyera; 06-14-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    Then why is mentoring unallowed in Warfronts?
    Seriously?

We've already covered this.

EXP lock and twinking go hand in hand, asking why you do it is not in anyway off topic and if it was my post would have been deleted. I am not trying to bait you or troll you, you chose to be rude. I had nothing to do with it. And, I'm not trying to offend you here, but from what I have read it seems to you twink because it's easier than lvl 50 pvp because you can run in solo and kill everything with little or no team work, that isn't "different strategy" it's horribly unbalanced and that's why it's going to be removed in 1.9. do you think they are removing it just to watch people argue in forums? I don't think so.
    It's unbalanced because of gear. Not because someone has chosen to lock their xp, even at the capped level of the tier. Gear. Go look at the notoriety merchants in the Droughtlands, Moonshade Highlands, Scarwood Reach, etc. See those enchants they sell? They're all applicable to a level 1 item. Do you suppose new players have access to those?

Then look at the stat difference between a piece of gear made by a crafter at level (i.e. a new player who only has access to like-level mats, and doesn't have plats from higher level toons to buy stuff on the AH to level their craft beyond their own gathering capabilities)... and gear made by a 300-skill crafter that can use 300-skill purple augments. See how much better that gear is, with those augments? Then add the enchants from those notoriety merchants. With me, here? Are you seeing the difference in stats?

Then think about that brand-new lower level toon and their access to planarite - they're extremely unlikely to have 7500 planarite to buy a 6-slot focus. A long-term player can mail stones to an alt, and that alt can buy planarite with them. 7500 is very easy to get, that way.

New players are also unlikely to have tokens from prior events to purchase 6 purple essences to put on that focus, like a long-time player can. Add to that all the purple accessories you can buy from those event merchants... and the gear/stat disparity is phenomenal.

Those things are the problem. Not xp-lock itself. Were Trion to do the right thing and make those augments only applicable to appropriate level items, and make those notoriety enchants only applicable to appropriate level items, and make focuses level restricted, to expand as you level... twinking would be gone. It would be a level playing field, which is the majority of the appeal in xp-lock for a lot of folks who enjoy lower level PvP, vs. the higher levels with it's overabundant CC, OP abilities in certain classes, etc.

Twinking and xp-lock don't need to be synonymous, if Trion would fix the actual problems in their gear logic.
    Huzzah - Rogue -=- Rhowyn - Cleric
    Head Wench of <Shiny> Defiant, Wolfsbane
    (Formerly <Serenity> of Sunrest, may the shard rest in peace)

Shadowlander

"I'm not trying to bait or troll you, but I'm going to open this 'conversation' up by asking you a charged question, and then I'm going to repeatedly claim to have read your posts, and then repeatedly make offensive, rude, entirely false statements about your motives and reasons for playing twinks, and lace it with a light dose of condescension, despite being completely unfamiliar with your actual motives, reasoning, or end-game PvP pedigree."

Try harder. I was willing to take one infraction, but I'm not taking a second. At least not until this one expires. ;)
    I have read your posts, you know it because I responded to them and you responded back. you even said you recognized my name. And I don't want you to get infractions because I know how angry they can make people, I'm not the reason you are getting infractions just don't use words like "derpy mcgee" or call people illiterate and all will be well. it's that simple.

The interesting one to me is the notoriety runes -- for a time (at least one hotfix), these DID have a higher minimum level requirement (I know because I went to check after the hotfix), but that seems to have been removed/reverted (either intentionally or otherwise).
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Huzzah View Post
    It's unbalanced because of gear. Not because someone has chosen to lock their xp, even at the capped level of the tier. Gear. Go look at the notoriety merchants in the Droughtlands, Moonshade Highlands, Scarwood Reach, etc. See those enchants they sell? They're all applicable to a level 1 item. Do you suppose new players have access to those?

Then look at the stat difference between a piece of gear made by a crafter at level (i.e. a new player who only has access to like-level mats, and doesn't have plats from higher level toons to buy stuff on the AH to level their craft beyond their own gathering capabilities)... and gear made by a 300-skill crafter that can use 300-skill purple augments. See how much better that gear is, with those augments? Then add the enchants from those notoriety merchants. With me, here? Are you seeing the difference in stats?

Then think about that brand-new lower level toon and their access to planarite - they're extremely unlikely to have 7500 planarite to buy a 6-slot focus. A long-term player can mail stones to an alt, and that alt can buy planarite with them. 7500 is very easy to get, that way.

New players are also unlikely to have tokens from prior events to purchase 6 purple essences to put on that focus, like a long-time player can. Add to that all the purple accessories you can buy from those event merchants... and the gear/stat disparity is phenomenal.

Those things are the problem. Not xp-lock itself. Were Trion to do the right thing and make those augments only applicable to appropriate level items, and make those notoriety enchants only applicable to appropriate level items, and make focuses level restricted, to expand as you level... twinking would be gone. It would be a level playing field, which is the majority of the appeal in xp-lock for a lot of folks who enjoy lower level PvP, vs. the higher levels with it's overabundant CC, OP abilities in certain classes, etc.

Twinking and xp-lock don't need to be synonymous, if Trion would fix the actual problems in their gear logic.
    I admit I agree with this although not completely. they should make "pvp souls" where everyone gets the same amount of points to put into spec along with this and all would be well. nice competitive pvp that isn't too easy or impossible.

I have read your posts, you know it because I responded to them and you responded back. you even said you recognized my name. And I don't want you to get infractions because I know how angry they can make people, I'm not the reason you are getting infractions just don't use words like "derpy mcgee" or call people illiterate and all will be well. it's that simple.
    Prior to this thread, you have responded to one of my posts, which was a response to one of yours (I'm pretty sure it was my only response to one of yours, actually), and which certainly did not contain my thoughts, views, and motives for twinking. It was in response to your bitter-toned, TOTALLY CONSTRUCTIVE "anyone with a basic understanding of math" post.

Are you perhaps confusing me with someone else?

Here's something that might help -- most of my posting on the topic of twinking occurred between your disappearance at the end of March and your reappearance one week ago.

Edit: Here's something else that might help -- a thread involving a basic understanding of math.
    Last edited by Kyera; 06-14-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Shadowlander

Prior to this thread, you have responded to one of my posts, which was a response to one of yours (I'm pretty sure it was my only response to one of yours, actually), and which certainly did not contain my thoughts, views, and motives for twinking. It was in response to your bitter-toned, TOTALLY CONSTRUCTIVE "anyone with a basic understanding of math" post.

Are you perhaps confusing me with someone else?

Here's something that might help -- most of my posting on the topic of twinking occurred between your disappearance at the end of March and your reappearance one week ago.

It may have sounded bitter toned in your head, because you can't hear tone of voice over text (you can't hear anything) but let me reassure you that anyone with a basic understanding of math knows that twinking (just so we're clear about this, twinking is when people lock their EXP at the last level of a PVP bracket to keep playing in that bracket) is incredibly unbalanced in its current state, and I'm more than certain that you know this as well. and I'm truly flattered that you took the time to read through my posts.

I admit I agree with this although not completely. they should make "pvp souls" where everyone gets the same amount of points to put into spec along with this and all would be well. nice competitive pvp that isn't too easy or impossible.
    We had PvP souls. The 'system' sucked. That's why we have a War tab on Planar Attunement and everyone gets Break Free... free. Why would you want to fix what isn't broken, rather than fix what IS broken?

It may have sounded bitter toned in your head, because you can't hear tone of voice over text (you can't hear anything) but let me reassure you that anyone with a basic understanding of math knows that twinking (just so we're clear about this, twinking is when people lock their EXP at the last level of a PVP bracket to keep playing in that bracket) is incredibly unbalanced in its current state, and I'm more than certain that you know this as well. and I'm truly flattered that you took the time to read through my posts.
    I would argue that "twinking" is more about gear and the 'perfect' min/maxed spec, than the level lock itself. One doesn't call a toon that's in standard-to-level gear a twink, really. One "twinks out" their alt in BiS stuff that isn't daily standard fare. Were Trion to correct the over-the-top gear that's affecting PvP, there would still be 'twinks', folks in their min/max, BiS spec & gear. Not everyone that locks their xp is a twink.

It may have sounded bitter toned in your head, because you can't hear tone of voice over text (you can't hear anything) but let me reassure you that anyone with a basic understanding of math knows that twinking (just so we're clear about this, twinking is when people lock their EXP at the last level of a PVP bracket to keep playing in that bracket) is incredibly unbalanced in its current state, and I'm more than certain that you know this as well.
    Good dodge.

and I'm truly flattered that you took the time to read through my posts.
    When someone claims to be well versed in my post history, and then goads me (intentionally or, as you maintain, not) into a response, I do a little digging before making further statements. Besides, with only ~30, it was as easy as opening a page and scanning it for familiar posts.

I think I'd want to cover both. Maybe I'll try and grab five a night from each bracket (just the time-to-pop, not actually playing them) from here to 1.9, and then the first two or three weeks of 1.9 (time permitting)?
    That would be great Kyera, I'll toss ya a couple plat for doing so once all the data is collected.

Quote Originally Posted by MitsuMarty View Post
    That would be great Kyera, I'll toss ya a couple plat for doing so once all the data is collected.
    I'm going to aim for 3-5 and try to stagger the queue time up a bit to get a variety, but they'll all be around "prime time" (between 6pm-1am EST on weeknights, and probably afternoon/evening on weekends). The methodology isn't perfect but I'm not getting credit hours out of this either. ;)

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast