Closed Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11
Results 151 to 160 of 160
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: The Problem with removing Exp Lock

  1. #151
    Ascendant Taptap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    2,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiala View Post
    When every well known twink hits level 50 PvP..it's gonna be like all those Jerry Sanduskys just entered the general population of a prison.

    Every R40 who recognizes you twinks on sight is SO going to curbstomp you twinks every chance they get.

    Come to think of it..twinks ARE the Jerry Sanduskys of PvP.

    Might wanna think about name changes and server xfers..dudes. har har.
    I don't have a twink in the lower brackets, but if I play my level 40 warrior I will "twink" it every single level the very best that plat, crafting, questing and some dungeon running can provide, and you can't stop me. But don't you DARE, don't you ever infer it again, that my or anyone else doing so is akin to being a convicted child molester like Jerry Sanduskys. That's just nasty and uncalled for and a totally juvenile response to anyone who is on an opposite side of a discussion. Your comment is intended only to bring anger. And I have an R38 Rogue and a R39 Mage right now and they will end up R50's, and I am so gonna curb stomp anyone I can with them. Especially people who make nasty personal and untrue attacks just to try to gather some sort of following.
    Last edited by Taptap; 06-28-2012 at 07:28 PM.

  2. #152
    Rift Chaser NerfedWar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    377

    Default

    Ignoring Fiala's rather unfortunate dysphemism, the euphemism I like to use for twinks is that of a group experienced karate black-belts attacking newbie white-belts rather than each other.

    Unfortunately human nature makes this a VERY fun and satisfying experience for the black-belts...
    Last edited by NerfedWar; 06-28-2012 at 10:10 PM.
    ...the internet treats censorship as damage, and routes around it...
    NerfedWar Addons and Tutorials
    * Note: tutorials are currently being ported to the new site.

  3. #153
    Ascendant Taptap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    2,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfedWar View Post
    Ignoring Fiala's rather unfortunate dysphemism, the euphemism I like to use for twinks is that of a group experienced karate black-belts attacking newbie white-belts rather than each other.

    Unfortunately human nature makes this a VERY fun and satisfying experience for the black-belts...
    My first PvP toon, my Rogue that retired for a while just before they increased ranks from 8 to 40 and was R8 and then *poof* the next day was R38, didn't have the benefit of another toon to finance it as it progressed in PvP and which isn't possible after reaching level 50 anyway. So it was not "twinked". But, before xp locking was implemented that same Rogue did finance (twink) my Mage through all the PvP brackets before it turned 50, and it turned 50 before xp locking came into effect. So at no time did I ever get to use xp locking. XP locking (this topic) is not the same thing as "twinking", twinking does not require xp locking and only requires a main to finance it.

    XP locking was just another way to twink, but most of all the ONLY way to accumulate Favor needed the very moment they turn 50. Instead of completely fixing what some thought was abuse (equipping of item NOT suitable for a level, although they did nerf a few items just not all of them that should have been) they instead removed xp locking. This was a company, not a player, response and they very specifically said it was ONLY because of Mentoring (which can NOT be done in warfronts) and so it's nothing at all like "black-belts attacking newbie white-belts". People can still twink, but the n00bs can no longer themselves twink if they don't have a main since xp locking is now history since 1.9 and they instead out level the content and obtainable gear. That's great for the twinks as of and after 1.9, not so great for the n00bs. I don't know why people keep comparing twinks to xp locking, only locking has gone away - not twinks. But, I guess that's human nature...

  4. #154
    Rift Chaser NerfedWar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taptap View Post
    I don't know why people keep comparing twinks to xp locking, only locking has gone away - not twinks. But, I guess that's human nature...
    lol, my black-belt/white-belt comment was (obviously) aimed at exp-lockers.

    You are correct, there a numerous benefits to locking for the 'lockers' beyond steamrolling new players in the low tiers. As you say there is a very real benefit in accumulating favor.

    The problem with all this thinking is we're still (always) talking about the benefits to the 'exp-locker' and not the downsides for new players.
    Last edited by NerfedWar; 06-28-2012 at 11:19 PM.
    ...the internet treats censorship as damage, and routes around it...
    NerfedWar Addons and Tutorials
    * Note: tutorials are currently being ported to the new site.

  5. #155
    Rift Chaser NerfedWar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfedWar View Post
    lol, my black-belt/white-belt comment was (obviously) aimed at exp-lockers.

    You are correct, there a numerous benefits to locking for the 'lockers' beyond steamrolling new players in the low tiers. As you say there is a very real benefit in accumulating favor.

    The problem with all this thinking is we're still (always) talking about the benefits to the 'exp-locker' and not the downsides for new players.
    On a more conciliatory note, I don't have a problem with exp-locking per se, and would in fact welcome a 'fair' system that allows experienced players to continue to enjoy lower level gameplay.

    The issue (I see) with exp-locking partly comes from the inevitable gear difference with 'lockers' populating all their gear slots with max-level blue/purple items. The combined advantage 'gear' and 'skill' provides these more experienced players when pitted against newbies is overwhelming. How a new player (especially in the lower level brackets)is supposed to enjoy this experience is beyond me.
    ...the internet treats censorship as damage, and routes around it...
    NerfedWar Addons and Tutorials
    * Note: tutorials are currently being ported to the new site.

  6. #156
    Ascendant Taptap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    2,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfedWar View Post
    The issue (I see) with exp-locking partly comes from the inevitable gear difference with 'lockers' populating all their gear slots with max-level blue/purple items. The combined advantage 'gear' and 'skill' provides these more experienced players when pitted against newbies is overwhelming. How a new player (especially in the lower level brackets)is supposed to enjoy this experience is beyond me.
    How my level 40 was going to do it was lock xp at 48 and do the dungeons and Rifts both for the learning experience and for the gear until I had all I could get for that level. Everything I could do without relying on one of my 50's, but after that (yes) relying on my 50's to gear even better (runes, essences, plat) simply because I could and had earned the right to do so by doing it previously without a main. Only then go into wf's, xp still locked, to accumulate Favor until I had enough for turning 50 and then unlock xp. Anyone could do it, but not get the financing (just like my 1st toon could not). Now I don't get to do all that extra content, because I can't lock xp to keep from out leveling, but I can still "twink" in every other way. So I won't get to see all the game, unless I mentor later on and that sure isn't likely as I'll be busy at 50 chasing ranks.

    And I will twink, because of the more kills I will get, and maybe team wins, then the more Favor I will be rewarded. But now I have to start twinking before 47, when I play the toon I will twink immediately and start wf's at 40 instead. I won't be better geared than the higher toons, but better geared than most at or around my own level and they will be mincemeat, and I will get Favor because of it. But I'll miss out on PvE content and the rewards from it because I won't be able to lock xp. Just like it used to be and why xp locking was implemented (the only reason). The fact that people super geared with items they never should have been able to equip to begin with was the fault of Trion not fixing that issue (they started to but then quit doing it, saying Mentoring was the reason for quitting and removing xp lock - I don't believe it), not xp locking itself.

    The result is that my Warrior now will never get the necessary experience to tank in PvE that xp locking would have allowed, because I can either do that or PvP but I can't do them both without out leveling. That's what removing xp locking causes, and that's why xp locking was implemented to begin with.

  7. #157
    Ascendant Mako482's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    The difference between twinking pre-1.9 and twinking post-1.9 is you are less likely to face full groups of twinks at once now. You will also stand a better chance of not seeing a 39 or 49 at all in a warfront, where before that was typically not the case. You also will not have to face the same twinks day in day out, warfront after warfront while you level through a bracket. There were days where the same no-life thugswould be in warfront after warfront out-damaging everyone else by insane amounts. You would see 300k dps and 25 kb's from the top guy then like 80k 4 kb's from the dude in second. Yes I call you thugs because anyone who enjoys crap like that is a subpar human in my book. I cannot imagine how you are in real life, I do believe if you are someone who enjoy such things as fun you are prolly not an awesome person in real life either. Probably lots of flies without wings crawling around your house.

    I don't recall this ever happening to the point of being commonplace when I was first leveling up my first two 50's. That is just silly and should have never been allowed to happen. Just another wtf from Trion.
    Last edited by Mako482; 06-29-2012 at 02:34 AM.

  8. #158
    Ascendant Kyera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mako482 View Post
    The difference between twinking pre-1.9 and twinking post-1.9 is you are less likely to face full groups of twinks at once now.
    What warfront grouping were you in where this was the case, honestly? It certainly wasn't the case on Wolfsbane -- believe me, I'd have loved to have fought groups of twinks -- unless these twinks were especially terrible.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

  9. #159
    Shadowlander DrymChaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyera View Post
    What warfront grouping were you in where this was the case, honestly? It certainly wasn't the case on Wolfsbane -- believe me, I'd have loved to have fought groups of twinks -- unless these twinks were especially terrible.
    At least one of them acknowledged 1.9 did not end twinking...


    ...now we'll see if it ends low level WF.
    Last edited by DrymChaser; 06-29-2012 at 07:59 AM.

  10. #160
    Rift Team Alyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,722

    Default

    Hi everyone,

    We feel that this thread has deviated from its original intent, and per the OP's request, we have closed it. Please remember to keep your comments on topic, respectful and constructive at all times on our forums, even when you disagree with others.

    If anyone has questions or concerns about this thread closure, please feel free to contact us at community@riftgame.com.

    Thanks, and have a great weekend!

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts