+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: I am a brand new player and I am extremely dissapointed in twinks and twinking.

Soulwalker

Default I am a brand new player and I am extremely dissapointed in twinks and twinking.

I have played a few MMOs in my day, but nothing with any real PVP warfronts of any sort.

I have enjoyed this game up to a point. I have played a Mage with a Chloro / Lock build in instances, and a Elementalist / Pyro build for PVE (Both builds I believe are pre-builds you can choose from inside the talent allocator).

But now I really want to make my own build and join the PVP side of the game. I chose to go Pyro / Archon for Damage and a little CC.

I never knew there was a way to "lock your experience", prior to joining warfronts. I was really surprised, and saddened, that there seemed to be so many twink characters (specifically rogues and warriors) playing in the warfronts.

How am I supposed to compete? I die literally everytime I engage in any kind of battle situation. Position can help some (staying far away while twinks and other characters are focused on someone else), but being in a robe seems to put a big X on my forehead, and they just come strolling after me. Every. Time.

I am really put off by this. This makes me look at this game in a different light. How can the developers let this happen? Are low level PVP brackets not considered a legitimate part of the game? Why is it such a joke? Why am I basically not allowed by Trion to enjoy any kind of PVP in this game until I reach 50? (Reaching the end game PVP, or having the money / resources to twink my own backstabbing rogue).

To be honest, you don't really sound like a new player just joining Rift PvP. You sound more like somebody trying to make sure that Trion follows through with their promise to trash XP locking in the next patch (which is due out next week). But if you really are a new player with an honest complaint and you're not just trolling up a new thread to argue the point some more, rest assured that twinks pretty much go away very soon.
    Last edited by Grimt; 06-12-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Soulwalker

How will they go away soon?

They're getting rid of twinking in 1.9. I would recommend not queuing at all for warfronts until your level ends in 6-9. You can spend those other levels doing dungeons and farming for the best gear you can find. Like most games, mages are weak early on but grow in power as you level up.

Majn
    Be healed and be well.

Oh boy here we go again.

Get gear, get skilled, if you want to be competitive. Are all your gear slots filled with gear within 2-3 levels of your level? Do you have a planar essence core? Runes on all your items?

You may think this is expensive, or twinking, or unfair, to have all that as a leveling toon. But trust me, it is not. From rolling my first toon and leveling primarily in warfronts, without any help, by the time I was x5-x9 in each bracket I was easily holding my own against other players. If you keep up with your gear and know how to play, you're essentially a twink in this game, according to most players.

But it's going away anyway, thanks to the carebears. Enjoy getting slaughtered as a rank 1 50 without any PvP gear because you couldn't lock at 49 to save up favor!

Don't let the disenfranchised twinks get to you. They're gone in a few weeks or so.
    ~Quiescent

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Clebbano View Post
    I have played a few MMOs in my day, but nothing with any real PVP warfronts of any sort.

I have enjoyed this game up to a point. I have played a Mage with a Chloro / Lock build in instances, and a Elementalist / Pyro build for PVE (Both builds I believe are pre-builds you can choose from inside the talent allocator).

But now I really want to make my own build and join the PVP side of the game. I chose to go Pyro / Archon for Damage and a little CC.

I never knew there was a way to "lock your experience", prior to joining warfronts. I was really surprised, and saddened, that there seemed to be so many twink characters (specifically rogues and warriors) playing in the warfronts.

How am I supposed to compete? I die literally everytime I engage in any kind of battle situation. Position can help some (staying far away while twinks and other characters are focused on someone else), but being in a robe seems to put a big X on my forehead, and they just come strolling after me. Every. Time.

I am really put off by this. This makes me look at this game in a different light. How can the developers let this happen? Are low level PVP brackets not considered a legitimate part of the game? Why is it such a joke? Why am I basically not allowed by Trion to enjoy any kind of PVP in this game until I reach 50? (Reaching the end game PVP, or having the money / resources to twink my own backstabbing rogue).
    You don't sound like a brand new player. If you are, how are you so sure you are losing because of twiinks? But just to play along - it takes quite awhile to master rift PvP, at any level. I've been playing for some time and I still learn something new almost every time I play. To get good you pretty much need to be familiar with every soul and every calling. You'll need to be able to learn the names of the frequent players in your bracket so at the beginning of the warfront you can look at the scoreboard and work out a strategy from the builds that you will be competing against and allied with. I find it very helpful to have 3-4 roles or builds available so I can switch to the one that will give me the greatest impact in the warfronts. Very rarely do I play the same build for more than 2 or 3 warfronts at a time. You have to read the offense and the defense and adapt accordingly. And sometimes you will lose no matter what you do. It could be because of "twinks", but more often it will be because of a bad matchup or perhaps you are facing a premade. I guess the point I'm trying to make is if you attribute your losses to twinks then you won't learn anything and won't improve. Good luck.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by MannSeastone View Post
    They're getting rid of twinking in 1.9. I would recommend not queuing at all for warfronts until your level ends in 6-9. You can spend those other levels doing dungeons and farming for the best gear you can find. Like most games, mages are weak early on but grow in power as you level up.
    This is terrible advice. If you do this, you will level to 50 with very little PvP experience and will have a miserable time competing with P40s.

I recommend not queuing for warfronts at all at level 50, because you will be facing the likes of MannSeastone in a PvE geared premade, and will get farmed for months until you can gear up. The sub-50 warfronts are much more enjoyable, and it typically only takes a few days to gear up. Contrast that with the months required to gear up at 50.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesauce View Post
    This is terrible advice. If you do this, you will level to 50 with very little PvP experience and will have a miserable time competing with P40s.

I recommend not queuing for warfronts at all at level 50, because you will be facing the likes of MannSeastone in a PvE geared premade, and will get farmed for months until you can gear up. The sub-50 warfronts are much more enjoyable, and it typically only takes a few days to gear up. Contrast that with the months required to gear up at 50.
    Once you're about rank 10-15 PvP gets MUCH better. It really doesn't take months.

Quote Originally Posted by Clebbano View Post

hmmm I'll give you a 4/10

Shadowlander

Hello, please don't take what the people that try to defend twinking say seriously. Anyone who has a basic understanding of math know that it is a problem, and it's going to be removed in 1.9 which is coming out soon. You're lucky that you didn't have to deal with it for months like some of us that like to level alts through PVP have. Anyway, just rejoice in the fact that they will be gone soon and that you will be able to have fun and exciting PVP matches that are not to easy nor impossible to win.

Shadowlander

It sounds to me like you need some help with your build in 50 pvp, unless you have no PVP gear at all. If you inbox me I can help you with your build though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vickuz View Post
    Hello, please don't take what the people that try to defend twinking say seriously. Anyone who has a basic understanding of math know that it is a problem, and it's going to be removed in 1.9 which is coming out soon. You're lucky that you didn't have to deal with it for months like some of us that like to level alts through PVP have. Anyway, just rejoice in the fact that they will be gone soon and that you will be able to have fun and exciting PVP matches that are not to easy nor impossible to win.
    That'll come when you hit level 50 wf, just play and leArn the maps. It doesn't take long to level and you want to have the pvp experience. And pay Attention to your gear (hate texting with iphone).

I recommend not queuing for warfronts at all at level 50, because you will be facing the likes of MannSeastone in a PvE geared premade, and will get farmed for months until you can gear up. The sub-50 warfronts are much more enjoyable, and it typically only takes a few days to gear up.
    New players are really caught between a rock and a hard place. If you queue throughout the lower brackets, you get farmed much longer, but you hit 50 with more knowledge of how to play your class. If you hit 50 ASAP, you get farmed much harder because you don't know how the game works. I recommend choosing getting farmed harder over getting farmed longer because class knowledge will not save you from getting two-shot by P40s. The game can be learned at 50 and you might as well earn prestige and planar attunement in the process.

Fortunately, 1.9 proposes to address both of these issues I mentioned - first by removing twinks, and second by increasing the bolstering amount enough to make class knowledge matter more.

Majn
    Be healed and be well.

Telaran

sorry i made you post this
    -unitedstates

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast