+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kyera
  • 2 Post By Velkane

Thread: CX & WS are best matched

Default CX & WS are best matched

Seems to me that Codex and Whitefall Steppes, escalated or not, have the highest ratio of somewhat evenly matched teams at the higher ranks (over R30). Sure, close matches occur from time to time in other warfronts but my impression is not near as often as in CX and WS. In those two wf's I tend to pug, even as mercenary, into a well coordinated group. Win or lose, those bg's tend to have close and exciting matches. All the others seem to have one side winning very easily against the other side, and the exceptions are not the norm. My observation has been over about 100 recent wf's of all types. Is this just RNG for me so far, or are others seeing this too and if so what might be the reasons for it?

They're the best matched because PvE victory can potentially be obtained by the 'outmatched' side through PvP avoidance.

Black Garden pushes you right into a PvP meatgrinder, and Port Scion is usually decided by a quick clash at the bridge and/or church, where footholds are established to allow for stonerunning for a quick win (this is assuming both sides don't turn it into a race-to-kill-the-boss). Library can similarly be PvE'd, but a handful of strong dps can pressure efficiently to make that hard, and you often do it by running away from active pursuit (or hiding out of LoS) and hoping you get enough ticks to offset the points from kills.

Codex has more objectives than sides, so an astute team can run a PvE rotation on lightly defended objectives (usually Vault and the 'stronger' team's objective). Whitefall Steppes, though admittedly less so with the nerf of running builds, can be easily disrupted by an effective solo carrier, though this strategy is hindered by teams landing one flag and then camping on their flag for the rest of the warfront (which also, artificially, keeps the score 'close').

You may be experiencing the exception to the rule, but I would have to ask if you've been paying attention to the kill counts on the leaderboards or merely the ending scores. I've had plenty of 1000-900 (or 1-0/2-1, for Whitefall) matches where the other team got outkilled 3:1.
    Last edited by Kyera; 06-11-2012 at 05:14 AM.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

Sword of Telara

Of all of the warfronts, Whitefail is the one I utterly hate. Scion, Dex, Library.. you can get a group of 5, run around and help carry a team by being smart. Even Black Garden has the sides where you can get around and come in from a different angle, or run along the walls, etc. All of these maps can use various strategies to help your team win.

Whitefail used to have the sneaky rogue runner that could turn the tide for an over matched team... if the opposing team was stupid. Now Whitefail is zerg map. Strategy devolves into 2 things. Who has the most healers/warriors, and stays together in cluster ball as they move around the map. If you do these two things, you're fine. You don't need defenders really anymore. If someone gets your flag, you just move your cluster ball over them as they slowly move their way down the map. Of all the warfronts, to me it has the least strategy. If you want to get really technical, your strat can include "to turtle or not to turtle" for farming purposes.
    Laban Rogue <That Guild>. Bad... good? I'm the guy with the gun.

Well, uh, yeah. There are different tactics for each of the warfronts and no two generals think the same (or it will be a draw). I just meant it seems to me that there are a larger number of coordinated ranked matches (above R30, not so much below that), and maybe premades, going against each other in CX and WS be they escalated or not. I'm not really talking about kill counts or better maps or objectives per se, but about the prevalence of coordinated teams going up against each other in those 2 warfronts vs all the others. Making them more evenly matched on the average. Agree? Disagree?

Whitefall is a great match map if people aren't in a hurry. IMO the finesse and enjoyment of an enduring CTF game is limited by the desire of so many people to get in and get out with as much favor as they can. Whitefall is probably the worst map for progression gain. But I think it has some of the best matches than can go on the more I play it.
    Last edited by Violacea; 06-11-2012 at 07:25 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by Taptap View Post
    Well, uh, yeah. There are different tactics for each of the warfronts and no two generals think the same (or it will be a draw). I just meant it seems to me that there are a larger number of coordinated ranked matches (above R30, not so much below that), and maybe premades, going against each other in CX and WS be they escalated or not. I'm not really talking about kill counts or better maps or objectives per se, but about the prevalence of coordinated teams going up against each other in those 2 warfronts vs all the others. Making them more evenly matched on the average. Agree? Disagree?
    Fair enough. I can't really say I've noticed a contrast on my warfront grouping. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    Whitefall is a great match map if people aren't in a hurry. IMO the finesse and enjoyment of an enduring CTF game is limited by the desire of so many people to get in and get out with as much favor as they can. Whitefall is probably the worst map for progression gain. But I think it has some of the best matches than can go on the more I play it.
    Whitefall would be better served by a reduction in size and a reduction in player count, so that actual CTF-friendly tactics can be employed. It's tough to coordinate an offense/midfield/defense setup when you can just get 15-20 people together and roll around in a ball.
    Last edited by Kyera; 06-11-2012 at 07:34 AM.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

Rift Chaser

I've found almost every ranked (29-40) match to be pretty close. The only times the "ranked" matches aren't close is when they're not really ranked, and one side ends up with a bunch of low ranked people. The Warfront Summary screen might claim it's a ranked match, but it lies.

Port Scion occasionally has ranked matches that aren't close, and I think that's because people either a) don't understand the PvE objectives (stones, idols, bosses), which are what you do to win, or b) are too busy doing the PvE quests (cultists, crate-things) for rep, which don't help you win.

Also Port Scion is probably the map where a 5-man premade has the biggest impact. 5 P40s that sneak through to a boss while the rest are engaged at bridge can end a match really fast. Especially if they're 5 people from an ID-level raid guild -- they swap to PvE gear and that boss will be burnt down very fast.
    Arch General Velkhar, P50 Cleric
    PvP Healing: Purifier, AoE Healer, Senticar, Ward/Sent
    PvP Open World: Duracell-esque

Quote Originally Posted by Velkane View Post
    I've found almost every ranked (29-40) match to be pretty close. The only times the "ranked" matches aren't close is when they're not really ranked, and one side ends up with a bunch of low ranked people. The Warfront Summary screen might claim it's a ranked match, but it lies.

Port Scion occasionally has ranked matches that aren't close, and I think that's because people either a) don't understand the PvE objectives (stones, idols, bosses), which are what you do to win, or b) are too busy doing the PvE quests (cultists, crate-things) for rep, which don't help you win.

Also Port Scion is probably the map where a 5-man premade has the biggest impact. 5 P40s that sneak through to a boss while the rest are engaged at bridge can end a match really fast. Especially if they're 5 people from an ID-level raid guild -- they swap to PvE gear and that boss will be burnt down very fast.
    Don't the PvE quests help get the task forces launched towards the enemy idol? They get people off the bridge and allow for running Church stones.

PS has always been a favorite of mine. My comp is outdated and PS is the only map it ever lags in, but only during peak hours. Sometimes badly. And being a merc there just confuses me horribly, lol, since the routing is kinda different and it's windy twisty pathing that I'm just not used to running "backwards".

I've been so disappointed with the recent emphasis on the bridge. Used to be we'd all have either a left-side or right-side path down the river, to a first idol and from there to their boss, forcing them off the bridge to defend and resulting in just a few players running stones and fighting each other over that and capping the bridge now and then, and maybe quickly going back to the bridge en masse to regroup if we failed on their boss. Now everyone just wants to control the bridge and never mind running stones, putting down the idols, or going for the boss. I think they're just looking at the warfront kills for Favor, if they looked at the general leaderboards it doesn't even list the bridge as an objective. Maybe they should remove granting of Favor in PS unless it is obtained from performing an objective. Diversion tactics to get people off the bridge seems a lost concept anymore. And I never did like the rubble accumulating until can't go turn in some quests and get a force launched, that's the only way that would allow breaking up being camped at rez.
    Last edited by Taptap; 06-11-2012 at 01:06 PM.

+ Reply to Thread