+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Mage PvP 1.8

Default Mage PvP 1.8

So is it just me or are mages wrecked in PvP atm unless we play Pyro-Dom or Chloro-Dom?

Less cleric heals + all the nerfs we had (or plain ignoring) from 1.5-1.8 + BROSTORM + SAB SPAM + MM SPAM = Dead mages.

Amirite? :P
    Last edited by V1rul3n7; 06-08-2012 at 03:59 AM.

meh, mages can dominate PUGs but are just Bloodthirst procs in 5v5 or any organised PvP

You're just a pretty bad mage Virulent. :/

Pyrolock does alright

I don't ever play those pyrodom whatever specs. I think they're overrated.
    I don't know but sabs never killed me in the warfront.
    But when the expansion comes there'll be many interesting combinations to do. I experiment too much with the specs and often I find that only 1 or 2 more points would make certain combos so good! I hopes elementalist gets some improvements too.

Shield of Telara

I think Zaros said something like this.... now correct me if I am wrong....

The skill level required to play a mage is disproportional to how useful they are in competitive team pvp.

Yah I think it went something like that!

Do not get me wrong I absolutely love my mage and it is probably the only reason I am still playing this game, but I just wish we brought something unique to team pvp that made us an asset instead of a liability.

Honestly I can't do anything as a mage without seeing the words "Immune" about 50 times in 10 seconds.

I still run the classic Chlorolock. I have 11k HP buffed, loads of survivability, healing (self and raid) and some pretty smashing offence too.
    Not to mension wild abandon

Lifegiving Veil needs to heal for more. 40% boost in pvp. 15% was hardly even noticeable.

Rift Disciple

Pyro/Chloro GCD Reduction, Reduced Silence, Flicker, Wild Abandon, Break Free, Speed Cleanse, Nukes, Heals, most survivable spec in pvp, also likely best PVP Heal spec (for mages) because of speed cleanse and multiple break frees. 51 Cloro can't hang in pvp to much CC to be useable.
    Last edited by redrox; 06-08-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Pyro is a glass cannon? Do tell more?

Bring back SC. I'm tired of being sheeped
    Seb - R40 OP PVP Warrior
    Solo Tanking Akylios - But I hate tanking Plutonus.
    New WF Idea for Rift
    SAVE THE VK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebb View Post
    Pyro is a glass cannon? Do tell more?

Bring back SC. I'm tired of being sheeped

A lot of us would love to play other specs :P The problem all of our defensive viability outside of heavy group cover is put into only a few class combinations. Because dominator is a class that is designed around being anti caster, and also carries with it some of our best melee options it sort of spirals- mages are pushed into dominator because they need it to have optons against rogue and warriors, and because more mages are playing dom (a class that is basically op vs non dom casters) it puts that much more pressure for more mages to make the switch.
    Last edited by Inixia; 06-08-2012 at 08:41 AM.

I was one of Eq2s highest parsing mages in a couple of its expansions and knew my class well. If mages in this game are like Eq2, tbh, theres probably like 2 - 3 people on this entire board who can actually play the mage at the best of its potential. Except when I used to pve, instead of hearing that my class can't pvp (while I do fine at it or see others) it was dps. Parses pretty much proved the entire bulk of mages could hardly push their toon to what it was suppose to be. Honestly mages are fine in pvp, I see a few perform well. But I suspect it's the same ol. Same reason in Eq2 there was like 3 - 5 other wizards posting as high as me while the other games entire mage population said mages need buffs because they can hardly compete with melee. While my guild melee toons are telling the other mages to l2p. It gets real /popcorn though when the newbie mages would tell my other top end guildies they just suck against mages.

I think it sounds familiar. Just flavored pvp. Actually that is how I feel about almost all this games classes. Pretty sure they all can perform really really well. Just as competition for DPS in my old guilds. There often was few people who could really really make me work for top parse. Most people just don't push the toon to where it could be.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by Inixia View Post
    A lot of us would love to play other specs :P The problem all of our defensive viability outside of heavy group cover is put into only a few class combinations. Because dominator is a class that is designed around being anti caster, and also carries with it some of our best melee options it sort of spirals- mages are pushed into dominator because they need it to have optons against rogue and warriors, and because more mages are playing dom (a class that is basically op vs non dom casters) it puts that much more pressure for more mages to make the switch.
    I'd argue that the necessity of defensive viability is a myth you choose to believe in. But then again I also know mages that run 51 pyro, smartly hang in the back and choose to throw around huge fulminates and damage that obliterate people. They do very well.
    Seb - R40 OP PVP Warrior
    Solo Tanking Akylios - But I hate tanking Plutonus.
    New WF Idea for Rift
    SAVE THE VK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebb View Post
    I'd argue that the necessity of defensive viability is a myth you choose to believe in. But then again I also know mages that run 51 pyro, smartly hang in the back and choose to throw around huge fulminates and damage that obliterate people. They do very well.
    Sure, until people notice them.

DumbLuck err I mean Dom/Lock works, you can FaceTank an entire raid every few minutes.

51 Dom is righteous and can completely wreck and entire raid given a few seconds to do it. Most momos dont realize how good doms are because they do not top the charts but CC is POWA, once you hear chingching -welcome to respawn for anyone with no clense

51 Pyro is pretty awesome facemelting and if you can get off a ground of power you cant be CCed, add in a warden nearby and you become a bunker turret of death

There are some really good chloro/wtf hybrid players out there too, some are damn near impossible to kill when paired with Lock
    AXAZE 70/R100 Clerc
    XITH 70/R100 Warrior
    REVELER 70/R100 Rog
    ZAXA 70/R100 finger waggler

Rift Disciple

Haven't seen a good 51 pyro yet to date. Fulminate is not worth going 51 pts in a tree for. Just my opinion though, I usually laugh when i see a fulminate cast on me in a wf, yeah you got my attention now you die.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast