• 2 Post By Synergis
  • 4 Post By Zaros
  • 1 Post By Meina
  • 1 Post By Violacea
  • 1 Post By Credo
  • 1 Post By Hugatree

Thread: No Dev Assigned to PVP?

Default No Dev Assigned to PVP?

No sticky topics and didn't see any Dev responses on Page 1 of threads so I became curious, and started clicking back to find out when the last time one did... Finger got tired, I got bored, finally around 20 pages and more than a month back, I found a dev response related to a PVP issue.

Have only PVPed casually at best at the moment but was thinking about starting the mission to R40 since Conquest and new ranks/gear are coming. After cruising these forums though, it leaves me wondering if its even worth it due to the obvious lack of attention Trion is giving to this section. I do understand they are working on a lot for 1.9, hope they start to show up more in here as well with it all i guess.

Has this been the norm for a long time with Rift? I mean, I've always heard people saying pvp feedback from devs needed help, but I never imagined it was this bad

They don't respond to much. They best you can hope for is a closed thread.

GSB Conq/ROS Conq/HK Conq/ID Conq
    4/4 TotDQ
    4/4 FT
    2/5 EE
    <The Chosen>

Ascendant

I think its really difficult to answer in pvp threads. Cause no matter what you say 50% of people it will upset ^^

I like to imagine it's one emaciated dude hyped up on Mountain Dew in a dimly lot room, who gets uncooked slabs of meat thrown into his room on occasion by Daglar.

Edit: He's been working hard, too! I'm looking forward to 1.9
    Last edited by Zaros; 06-06-2012 at 08:25 AM.
    ~Quiescent

The lack of dev response to PvP forums is nothing new, nor is it unique to this game.

PvP'ers tend to be like piranhas and a dev post is like blood in the water. They also tend to be kinda rude at times. As a result, whenever a mod or dev posts in the PvP forums, the result can be a bit like a piranha feeding frenzy with a healthy helping of Tourette's thrown in for good measure.

Because of this, dev's usually end up avoiding the PvP forums like the plague.

Dig, yeah makes sense I guess.

The reason devs can't chime in all the time is, players can call players wrong all they want, and debate. The thing is, the knowledge a dev has sometimes or what they actually know about the inner workings would not go over well. People don't like cold hard truth and being wrong. Could you imagine the merc discussions if a dev chimed in and explained the methods and coding of their system and why it is a good idea and explained a multi-paragraph coding, dev perspective explanation of why were doing it?

BUT I SIGNED UP TO BE RED DEVS HATE PLAYERS WAHHHHH

Devs shouldn't and don't have to argue with garbage like that. They are here to do a job. They don't have time to BS on the forums with a ton of people who wouldn't know a line of code from the game if their wallpaper was made of it.

Yeah, the devs don't chime in because players game after game have proven they can't handle discussions with devs, who might actually tell them cold hard truth other players don't know and that they will also disagree with. That is a reason among many others. Even the one time I saw a player speak to a dev in whispers and posted it, he couldn't just ask questions without melo-dramatic GW2 threats of departure. What a joke.
    Last edited by Violacea; 06-06-2012 at 09:21 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Champion

Newsflash: Trion's alleged openness and forthcoming attitude is greatly exaggerated by some, the last game I played (LOTRO), the devs posted more (witht the exception of the burg dev) than they do here, perhaps more importantly they were rather more forthcoming with the plans / vision for a class and when they updated a class they often did a dev diary with not just a list of changes but reasoning for why nerfed/buffed/removed/changed a skill.
    Last edited by Flimble; 06-06-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meina View Post
    The lack of dev response to PvP forums is nothing new, nor is it unique to this game.

PvP'ers tend to be like piranhas and a dev post is like blood in the water. They also tend to be kinda rude at times. As a result, whenever a mod or dev posts in the PvP forums, the result can be a bit like a piranha feeding frenzy with a healthy helping of Tourette's thrown in for good measure.

Because of this, dev's usually end up avoiding the PvP forums like the plague.
    so the fact that there are different type of players in pvp department means u gotta put it aside..

that's not right... imo if theyd just talk to us... we are normal humans aswell if theyd responded atleast we dont get left in the dark..

but aah well.. I guess it's to late now

U'd think there would be some more respons given the huge amount of posts in the pvp section

I cant name u statts but Im pretty sure not all is QQ and drama...

Brobey, Cleric Healer, EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    The reason devs can't chime in all the time is, players can call players wrong all they want, and debate. The thing is, the knowledge a dev has sometimes or what they actually know about the inner workings would not go over well. People don't like cold hard truth and being wrong. Could you imagine the merc discussions if a dev chimed in and explained the methods and coding of their system and why it is a good idea and explained a multi-paragraph coding, dev perspective explanation of why were doing it?

BUT I SIGNED UP TO BE RED DEVS HATE PLAYERS WAHHHHH

Devs shouldn't and don't have to argue with garbage like that. They are here to do a job. They don't have time to BS on the forums with a ton of people who wouldn't know a line of code from the game if their wallpaper was made of it.

Yeah, the devs don't chime in because players game after game have proven they can't handle discussions with devs, who might actually tell them cold hard truth other players don't know and that they will also disagree with. That is a reason among many others. Even the one time I saw a player speak to a dev in whispers and posted it, he couldn't just ask questions without melo-dramatic GW2 threats of departure. What a joke.
    On one hand, I agree with you. Dev's shouldn't have to deal with the confrontational, often infantile actions of the average PvP forum poster.

However...

When it comes to disseminating key pieces of information, especially information regarding hotly debated issues on these forums, "They might yell at me!" just doesn't cut it.

XP lock and mercing are prime examples of this. In one case, we had responses from a Trion rep stating their position on XP locking. IMO, they handled this rather well. They popped in, made their statements and left it at that. They refused to enter the debate, which they left to the players, but they did make it clear what their thoughts were, at the time.

In another case, the merc debate, they all but hid in a corner and ignored us. We had to find out about their stance on the subject from a third party interview. If they had come in and made their stance clear to us early on, like they did with XP locking, a lot of the debate surrounding the merc system would not have happened. As soon as it became clear what Trion's thoughts on the subject became clear, posts about mercing died right down.

They don't have to try to educate everyone regarding the coding or any of the other logistics involved either. A simple, concise reason why would suffice for most people. For the people that have a hard time accepting the cliff notes version, well, most of these people probably wouldn't be happy even if Trion held 3 seminars and a Q&A on why Project Whatever won't work for them.

Honestly, I think what they choose to respond to and what they choose not to respond to is based on a form of damage control or public relations.

You'll note that the XP lock statements were made in a way that tried to put most peoples' fears about twinking to rest. "We're keeping track and we'll make changes" is more a form of "Everything will be alright" than anything else. In other words, they were doing their best not to alienate anyone.

Coming into one of the merc debates and stating that "NO, we will not be changing the system.", on the other hand, would have immediately alienated a portion of the player base.

Although we don't always act like it, most of the people on these forums are adults. There's really no reason not to keep us informed, at least on the hot topic issues. Sure, they run the risk of alienating some of the players at times, but that will happen eventually anyway, once their stance on the issue becomes obvious.

In summary, I don't expect Trion reps to come to the forums and join in on our debates. All that will do is open them up to a boatload of animosity and infantile responses. I would, however, like to see them become more forthcoming when it comes to the big issues that effect us as players.

Rift Chaser

I just hope they read the forums. (And that's it really) If you come here and read these forums all interested and stuff, you would think they do too since its their game right?

alot of these discussions are kind of good and address legitimate issues.

If I was the PvP dev I wouldn't post either.
    Even free cost too much now

Quote Originally Posted by Meina View Post
    On one hand, I agree with you. Dev's shouldn't have to deal with the confrontational, often infantile actions of the average PvP forum poster.

However..*snip*.
    What I guess I mean is, a a lot of bad apples ruin it for the fewer people who actually could have very productive and respectful conversations with devs. Without some sort of process to tell which 2 players are the really good candidates to open communication with per 100+ sample of players, it's easier to just typically keep it at minimal. I notice when devs do chat, it is more of a "bottom line, heres the word, I'm the horses mouth". Rarely do they engage in theoretical and creative discussions on public forums though, due to what I listed imo.

Bad apples: why we haven't been able to have nice things since the Kindergarden.
    Last edited by Violacea; 06-06-2012 at 11:31 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    What I guess I mean is, a a lot of bad apples ruin it for the fewer people who actually could have very productive and respectful conversations with devs. Without some sort of process to tell which 2 players are the really good candidates to open communication with per 100+ sample of players, it's easier to just typically keep it at minimal. I notice when devs do chat, it is more of a "bottom line, heres the word, I'm the horses mouth". Rarely do they engage in theoretical and creative discussions on public forums though, due to what I listed imo.

Bad apples: why we haven't been able to have nice things since the Kindergarden.
    That sums it up nicely.

Rift Disciple

The PvP Dev's are smart, keeping a distance between them and the player base.

Not everyone will get it but if I were to say 'Hey. stop Greg Streeting that!' quite a few people would understand who Greg Street is and why it's a bad thing.

The only more vicious than trying to crowd control PvP'ers is trying to crowd control a stampede of elephant-lion hybrid mutants....While using a wiffle ball bat.

Reason is not a factor in most (not all) PvP arguments and conversations.
    Last edited by Hugatree; 06-06-2012 at 02:44 PM.

+ Reply to Thread