+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use defensive souls?

Default Does anyone use defensive souls?

Im only at lvl 37 but i noticed that as a defensive sould i can take a crap load of damage so my team lives that much longer. Also because of the high hp and defense i'm much easier to keep alive for the healers.

This goes both for my voidknight (also great harrasment for healers) and warlord (also great for buffs).

However, whenever i see posts about pvp its all about dps- and healers am i the only one that enjoys tanking or are tanks useless at the higher levels?
    "What if it is He, pushing us down with his Noodly Appendages, that causes this force?...And the fact that the Gravitational powers of the Spaghetti Monster haven't been disproven makes it all the more likely to be true."

- The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Ascendant

Some people like to do it, but generally by 50 most players learn to ignore the guy that takes a pile of damage and dishes out nothing, so it's really only effective against tools that don't pay attention.

It's like tanking anything else it only helps if you can hold aggro

The only way to be a tank at high lvl pvp is to be geared up and learn to talk sh!t so you can "aggro" the nubles.
    ~~ Euthan ~~

4 things why defensive souls is useless
    1)To be effective, you need to go deep into enemies' line and out of AOE heal range (only dependable heal is from cleric), so you actually die quite often if under FF.
    2)Basically, you only take -60% dmg as compare to everyone else so you can still die with/without heal
    3)No useful buff or debuff in tank mode. (rogue tank can bard their way to usefulness, warrior ROFL) so basically you have no reason for enemies to attack you.
    4)You die to any class with self heal
    Last edited by Wawer; 06-04-2012 at 06:35 AM.
    Deepstrike:Gintoki cleric r47 Shinpachi warrior r46, Kayura rogue r50, Tsukuyo mage r47
    Laethys: Roba r44
    GW2:Ayo Timako , level 54 Necro

Quote Originally Posted by Wawer View Post
    4 things why defensive souls is useless
    1)To be effective, you need to go deep into enemies' line and out of AOE heal range (only dependable heal is from cleric), so you actually die quite often if under FF.
    2)Basically, you only take -60% dmg as compare to everyone else so you can still die with/without heal
    3)No useful buff or debuff in tank mode. (rogue tank can bard their way to usefulness, warrior ROFL) so basically you have no reason for enemies to attack you.
    4)You die to any class with self heal
    Hmm, my experience seem to differ, but as i said, i'm keeping in account that my chars are lower lvl so i'm not going to try and make claims on wether you are wrong / right.

1. My voidknight and warlord do a good job tanking without going deep into enemy lines because they pull their enemies in.
    2. I can still die, but the damage is better spent on me than my dps teammates, who get more time to deal punches because they don't die like flies. If i last long enough they might even kill the other team boefore i die, which is even better.
    3. Yes, but i do so very slowly. I can tank a twink for a nearly a minute and prevent him from 2 shotting teammates.

Its all about wasting their time and firepower by having them spend it in the most inefficent way.
    "What if it is He, pushing us down with his Noodly Appendages, that causes this force?...And the fact that the Gravitational powers of the Spaghetti Monster haven't been disproven makes it all the more likely to be true."

- The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Euthan View Post
    It's like tanking anything else it only helps if you can hold aggro

The only way to be a tank at high lvl pvp is to be geared up and learn to talk sh!t so you can "aggro" the nubles.
    RL aggro. Reminds me of the Eq2 ability taunt for fighters called "Cuss". I always pictured this image of a group of mythical champions fighting a dragon and the leader warrior gets the dragons aggro by saying "HEY [MOTOR SCOOTER, YOUR SON LIVES ON A BEACH]" For some reason I picture this working in WF's 50% of the time.

To the OP, most people don't go pure tank/defensive specs unless it is for objective completing. I use a full RS spec to do things like sometimes pure flag running, stockpile orb running, library vessel stealing etc etc, stuff that doesn't involve killing and more shirking off enemies. Lots of people use just the right amount of a defensive soul mixed with DPS souls for a rough combo. And some people just like to go top notch DPS and push the maximum hurt. It really is more so what you play good with, people find their 'niche' so to speak with their calling. Lots of roles to fill with all the soul combos, only a few everyone is probably their best at.
    Last edited by Violacea; 06-04-2012 at 08:20 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

I use Drudicar when im unbearably bored, just to see when people will realize they arent gonna kill me.

Sometimes i slap on MoL and go around harassing healers.

Post-50 "tanks" are really good at harassing people and distracting unorganized DPS. Against a team with a modicum of skill and teamwork, you'll probably just get ignored and serve no purpose in the process.

But because PvP in this game is packed with battles that involve no skill or teamwork, you can definitely have some fun with it. Nothing quite like yanking someone back to you when they're trying desperately to kite your team. Or Sergeant's Order'ing casters off the ledge in Codex into melee trains. That's one of my personal favorites from when I've messed around on a warrior.

Playing a trollish defensive spec is effective sometimes, not really for soaking up damage, but for distracting a team so horribly they completely forget what they're doing and get tunnel vision while trying to kill you.

Best example I've seen is a Bard/RS or something that people will try their damndest to kill. I come in and see it's a got a big 1 over its head, and that's an immediate facepalm. Look at the charts - 8k damage done, 24k healing done, 140k damage taken, 1 death. Sigh.......
    Last edited by Sabryn; 06-04-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Tank souls played effectively are an absolute game changer, don't let anyone tell you different.
    ~Quiescent

If taunts worked in PvP, like in City of Heroes, it would be pretty awesome. Reaver/VK for ultimate troll spec, chain st taunt+void summon+incite+aoe taunt

I feel like taunt has to work to some effect tbh. I've sat in warfronts and had to click on clerics and mages because hitting tab literally just cycled through warriors. I'm not even talking clerics who are far away. I mean everyone within range that I could shoot an arrow at without moving. Maybe I just remember the times it happens but I feel like theres moments when tab is just a warrior cycle and I actually have to click to get targets on the mages/clerics.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Paladin/voidknight is not too bad. If no one attack you, u still can
    destroy healer's mana and dispell people around.
    but i think you get bored..
    Last edited by Kakaru; 06-04-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Granted I'm still low rank in PvP (Adept) but... I've found some fun and success in a simple tactic that Cleric Healers can employ.

At the start of the match in capture the flag games like Black Garden, where the two sides meet in the middle and start a standoff; I'll pop into Tank Stance and run into range of the first person and shoot them, then I'll turn around and head to the back of our lines.

Once in the back of our lines I swap into heal stance (Same spec) and start supporting my team.

I've found this nice because, it allows my team to start a bit more forward (the enemy all drops to shoot me). It seems most people will attack the first person in range and burn cooldowns to kill me. I'm able to make it back to my lines and get healed up quick and start healing my team.

Anyhow, thats one area I've found a tank stance to be useful. Also, if I get the flag and I have 2 or 3 people with me I'll swap to Tank Stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakaru View Post
    Paladin/voidknight is not too bad. If no one attack you, u still can
    destroy healer's mana and dispell people around.
    but i think you get bored..
    Your dispell has 10sec CD and it don't dispell everything.
    The mana drain is laughable. 25~100 per GCD anyone?
    A AOE sabo actually "drain" way more mana than you do by forcing the cleric to spam expensive AOE heal.
    Tank mode warrior is useful in whitefall because you can carry the flag but not much other than that.
    Deepstrike:Gintoki cleric r47 Shinpachi warrior r46, Kayura rogue r50, Tsukuyo mage r47
    Laethys: Roba r44
    GW2:Ayo Timako , level 54 Necro

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast