+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pvp + Clicking = ...?

Rift Disciple

Default Pvp + Clicking = ...?

is it that much worse than using keybinds?
    Fourtyfour

Short answer: Yes, yes, and yes.

Long answer: Being really good at clicking to the point where it's comparable with keybinds requires a lot of finesse that most people lack and is hurt a lot by movement - something that is a given in PvP. However, training the muscle memory of keybinds is extremely important. Setting up any keybinds when you're familiar with clicking will take time to get accustomed to.

But once you get those muscles trained, the difference is undeniable.

Rift Disciple

i use about 75% keybinds and 25% clicking. It seems to work nicely. But would my effectiveness go up if i try to make it 100% keybinds?
    Fourtyfour

If you play a class with either a long GCD, a tanky range build or a healer, you can probably get away with it. But if you're playing a class with a short GCD, or a melee/squishy ranged build, you'll notice a big improvement when you stop clicking.
    ~Quiescent

Quote Originally Posted by DefinitelyNotHexxx View Post
    i use about 75% keybinds and 25% clicking. It seems to work nicely. But would my effectiveness go up if i try to make it 100% keybinds?
    What do you think? If you're not missing any GCDs while you click, and if it's not negatively affecting your movement/camera work, you should be fine.

Majn
    Be healed and be well.

There are gaps between clicking your spells and clicking the game-field. My mouse is usually middle to the right a bit at all times. I click things like the pvp drink and planar protection. Once you've mastered keybinds, you never click again. It's just so much faster mentally. For one, you don't make miss-clicks.
    Wqrriqr: 207850 Defiants decapitated

Old Videos: PVP1 & PVP2
    0/11 HK 1/1 GW2

Rift Disciple

HEX where U @_@?
    Okooko <Synapse>
    Aerospace Engineer
    Yeah, I fly planes.

Rift Disciple

yes. here's an excellent article on the subject from a pro

Rift Disciple

I tend to use a hybrid approach...Generally I use my keyboard for everything but I will on occasion find myself whirling the mouse around....

I'm not great but I think I hold my own, and generally get compliments (depending on which class) for my gameplay.

Go with what you're comfortable with, clickers are people too!

Champion

You can't face roll a mouse.

Or can you...

When you finally keybind youre stuff make sure you bind the "s" key because once people see you walking backwards its an automatic GET THAT NOOB !!!11111 Besides walking backwards is slower than the regular walking speed but if you seriously want to PvP competitively you MUST keybind. Scrap what everyone else is telling you clicking is a big No no.
    R40 Rogue|YoungLoc| <RNG> Gang. Im good at PvPin, Poppin Pills & $mokin dope ! Follow me on Twitter @LiteSkinndJesus

Champion

The guy that won the mage duels on the PTS (Reapingglory) clicked...

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by youngloc52 View Post
    When you finally keybind youre stuff make sure you bind the "s" key because once people see you walking backwards its an automatic GET THAT NOOB !!!11111 Besides walking backwards is slower than the regular walking speed but if you seriously want to PvP competitively you MUST keybind. Scrap what everyone else is telling you clicking is a big No no.
    As a melee character vs another melee character walking backwards insures i hit everytime and they dont. To assume its always bad to backpedal is a mistake. Vs range backing up is total nub but i love backing up vs jumping mouse move fools makes me lol everytime.
    Last edited by Nsayn1; 06-03-2012 at 04:47 AM.

I think a hybrid approach is best for me. I move around a lot and I do so both by using the keyboard and the mouse, so which method I use depends on what I'm doing with the mouse at the moment. But in other situations I tend to use Naga Razer buttons for keybinds, clicking only a few abilities such as stun removal or pots. Some keybinds, by using the mouse or not as a situation dictates, are macros. It takes me less time to use a keybind than it does to accurately move a mouse pointer and then click.

Quote Originally Posted by Nsayn1 View Post
    As a melee character vs another melee character walking backwards insures i hit everytime and they dont. To assume its always bad to backpedal is a mistake. Vs range backing up is total nub but i love backing up vs jumping mouse move fools makes me lol everytime.
    I backpedal, when I can't strafe, as a mage because I can (1) knock back my opponent, (2) I keep facing the enemy and so I can keep using abilities, (3) I can teleport and (4) I have two abilities to disarm (one from PA). All that's important is that I don't stand still all the time and that I build my Charge and get instant procs, so I use mostly instants. Unless I'm just feeling exuberant, I only jump to quickly mouse turn in the air and then instant cast using a keybind or mouse button (it's much faster than keyboard turning and sometimes preferable to unavoidably losing time by facing an enemy by mouse moving). Jumping does have some purposes beyond just annoying people (which is fun too) who try to click instead of tab targeting, I laugh at their foolish laughing.

Mei

lol backpedaling
    Fluent

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast