+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Imagine you are new to Rift...

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Lords0fpain View Post
    Then find out AFTER you level up to 50, you THEN have another 50 levels to grind out to get top PvP gear (which is below the ID gear, anyway).

Would you really want to stay?

Since they keep adding Ranks, it only gets worse, they add them before you can reach the one you are working on...lol.

This is a legitimate question. How would you really feel? I started with Head Start and I don't want to grind it out for my level 50 alts...much less if I was just starting the game...
    THE only reason ID gear is ahead of R36+ gear is simply due to the fact when trion released hammerfall raid at the same time they also released the R36+ gear, people took gear shortcuts and ground WFs for favour and bought the R36+ gear, then the raiders QQed like hell about the "welfare epics" (and people calling them that want a damn good slap for it, also spot the ex wow players from that comment lol) so this time round with ID trions holding off atm about releasing the newer pvp gear, it's incoming and will come into game just not today
    Basicly which ever way trion does things people will complain.

Champion

^ Yeah and I don't know why pure raiders are against PvP gear. It may not help them directly but it's more raid DPS and some guilds need all the help they can get. Besides, they've shown the stats on the upcoming PvP gear and other than rogues/warriors getting a weapon DPS upgrade (warriors would need a few ID items just to make hit reqs with a PvP 2hander), HK gear is better for raids because r50 gear is just r40 gear with more end and vengeance.

Prophet of Telara

Then find out AFTER you level up to 50, you THEN have another 50 levels to grind out to get top PvP gear (which is below the ID gear, anyway).

Since they keep adding Ranks, it only gets worse, they add them before you can reach the one you are working on...lol.

This is a legitimate question. How would you really feel? I started with Head Start and I don't want to grind it out for my level 50 alts...much less if I was just starting the game...
    I don't know why you consider this a PvP problem. PvE works the same way; you level to 50, then start progressing through the dungeons and raids.

The entry-level to PvP is already pretty low. Basically, you can have the same amount of Valor as a R50 at R1 (if you bother to do the PvP quests before you hit 50 anyway). The crafted weapons with augments are essentially equivalent to the old P6 weapons. And you can use consumables to pump up your damage at any time. I think literally the only thing that isn't equalized is Endurance/Health.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlice View Post
    Another 10 ranks for what? So more players new to lvl 50 warfronts, can leave disgruntled. Awesome.

If the matched warfronts were a regular almost guaranteed thing.. it might be ok. As I see it, it's just dumb.
    The added 10 ranks for pvp add new gear but it only adds Endurance and vengeane and not in the amount that makes it crazy powerful. The top tier gear on live right now will become the second tier gear and will then become VERY much competitive. The gear gap is dropping very quickly and I like that A LOT. The only thing I'm worried about is raid gear in pvp. Once the gear gap is dropped or lowered drastically, raid gear will still be insane.

As for the long grind to rank up, I love it, I like earning things and it should be a hard tough grind (even though Rift is actually cake compared to other MMOs). I'm kind of tired of people wanting things just given to them, I don't mind playing on even ground but I feel that a majority of the player base doesn't really want even grounds they are just pissed that they don't have the gear and dread the grind, get over it. For those wanting a REAL competitive pvp, I feel ya and I think Trion is heading in the right direction, slowly.

Soulwalker

I think I'm rank 11 or so after a long break and hang fine. You kids qqing all the time need to L2P. It's seriously all you hear on the pvp threads... Play smarter and more opportunistically to avoid getting 2 shot. Use los, dont bum rush FGs, etc and you should be fine till you get your gear.
    Last edited by Emerge; 05-25-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Sure. But then again, I'm don't care about "being first and getting the best in 3 weeks not 6".
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

Champion

The current prestige grind is way easier than when the game first came out. The first couple months were que for 10 minutes, hope to not get matched against another premade, get farmed by said premade, and repeat until max rank because that was the only way to gain prestige or favor. They've since added bonus vials, bonus weekends, rank specific WFs, PvP dailies, PvP rifts, and faster que times all while normalizing valor, buffing the lower tiers of gear to fit more closely behind the tiers above them, balancing classes in PvP much more evenly than before, and killing pug vs premade. The new players have it easier than they think.

It's PA levels and the rogues and warriors getting their Akylios/ID weapons and HK synergy sets that takes a lot of time (HK crystals to a much lesser extent - MM is the only spec that really needs their set bonus and that's just the ranger 2pc). They just gotta go through with this +hit to PvP weapons fix, make PvP gear of appropriate tiers count for HK synergy crystals, and increase the PA xp bonus for winning a WF to like 150k xp. Then we'll be onto newer and less detrimental PvP issues.
    Last edited by rennlc; 05-25-2012 at 08:54 PM.

150k pa xp per WF win would be pretty sick I am all for this.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by Qaedyan View Post
    I don't know why you consider this a PvP problem. PvE works the same way; you level to 50, then start progressing through the dungeons and raids.
    Actually, PvE and PvP do not work the same way. You do not hit 50 and run into Hammerknell or ID. You work your way up to them by running lower tier dungeons that are geared to the level of gear you have. It is a lot more beginner friendly than PvP is.

If PvE were like PvP, dungeons would not have a set mob and boss list. You would have a random chance of encountering mobs and bosses from any of the raids, regardless of which dungeon you entered. Can you imagine the tears we'd be seeing if Maelforge started popping into Greenscale's Blight for a little "NOOB PWNAGE!!".
    Last edited by Meina; 05-25-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Hartzekar View Post
    Because a fresh 50 who waltzes into a WF has no valor, and because they're wearing greens instead of using some favor they saved up over the levels to buy some pieces of epic gear.....

Bolstering helps. I've only two shotted 51 MMs with 5k HP on my warrior. My mage was in WFs in the the old R1-2 mage gear (Diviner's set), and I had 5.5k HP and 1k valor due to bolstering. I stayed back. Sure I died a good bit, but that's expected.
    So to get to a point where one isn't getting two-shot, we must put days, weeks and even months of time into something we are not enjoying even slightly simply so we get to the point where the potential for fun is there.

Makes perfect sense.....

Quote Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
    So to get to a point where one isn't getting two-shot, we must put days, weeks and even months of time into something we are not enjoying even slightly simply so we get to the point where the potential for fun is there.

Makes perfect sense.....
    are you suggesting to get rid of the grind completely?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by HannonHellbringer View Post
    are you suggesting to get rid of the grind completely?
    The gear to be competitive should never be the reward for one's efforts. There are countless things that could be offered as rewards that would require significant time and effort. Dyes, mounts, costumes, titles, companions or achievements could all be offered as a result of these efforts. But, again, the gear to be competitive should not be the reward itself.

The gear to be competitive should never be the reward for one's efforts. There are countless things that could be offered as rewards that would require significant time and effort. Dyes, mounts, costumes, titles, companions or achievements could all be offered as a result of these efforts. But, again, the gear to be competitive should not be the reward itself.
    Honestly how many players would keep hitting warfronts if there was no new gear? And where does this mentality come from?

Again back to EQ2, there is ONE set of gear. Players don't get it and say... ok that's it for me now. That's when they REALLY start PvPing. There it's about the PvP, here it's about nothing more than who has the shiniest gear.

The constant need for a carrot, is nothing short of pathetic.

Synovia I wish players would be happy with your suggestions, but, we both know they wouldn't.
    Last edited by Charlice; 05-26-2012 at 12:57 AM. Reason: bacon balls

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Quote Originally Posted by Charlice View Post
    Honestly how many players would keep hitting warfronts if there was no new gear? And where does this mentality come from?

Again back to EQ2, there is ONE set of gear. Players don't get it and say... ok that's it for me now. That's when they REALLY start PvPing. There it's about the PvP, here it's about nothing more than who has the shiniest gear.

The constant need for a carrot, is nothing short of pathetic.

Synovia I wish players would be happy with your suggestions, but, we both know they wouldn't.
    I love gear, but my thing is I like to look good while I'm either getting smashed or doing the smashing : )

I believe that gear should stay in the game but I feel that the gap should be pretty close. Three sets of gear should be good like now, and when one tier is dropped then those currently wearing the old, dropped gear should be boosted to the tier they were at. Once you lower the gap so that the advantage really cannot fall that much upon gear, then I believe the grind will not matter as much since all three tiers will be close enough for competitive play.

I'd love to see more competitive play, but you also have to think about how it will effect raiders. Ridding ourselves of the grind but keeping gear is bad news as we saw how HK first turned out (even though there was still a grind) imagine that but with everyone being handed raid quality gear from pvp for free. On the other hand, removing gear from the equation will put pvprs at a huge disadvantage in pvp vs raiders unless you remove ALL gear from pvp but it still will not work for open world pvp since you need gear to be out there.

Its a rough business trying to find a balance and when the devs make a choice it will surely make a portion of the player base unhappy.
    Last edited by HannonHellbringer; 05-26-2012 at 02:53 AM.

Champion

PvP is its own reward. The gear is just a prerequisite for certain specs and roles.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast