+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: The Proactive PvP Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Trisian View Post
    My proactive idea for the thread is "PvP Mentoring".

Rank 40 players should be able to lend a percentage of their valor to a lower ranked target helping them come up to the cap
    That sounds like twinking to the extreme. I thought you didn't approve of twinking?
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

Default Suggestions

I posted these thoughts in a different thread but I'll try to make them more "proactive" here:

1. Get better composition balance in WFs. I'm not referring to OP specs here ... I'm talking about one side having mostly lower ranks while the other has lots of R40s, and I'm talking one side having no healers. So if we're going to have mercs, why not take level and role into account instead of just numbers? This won't address going up against a good premade, of course, but in my opinion it probably shouldn't anyway. If you want to survive against a premade, make your own.

2. Incorporate more team strategy into WF design, and make more possible paths to a win. Port Scion and Whitefall:Escalation tend to be more exciting because the win is often up for grabs right until the very end.

3. Make leaderboards reward quality rather than simple quantity. Change tiers (bronze/silver/gold/platinum/diamond) to reflect time spent over the last thirty days, and make the standings reflect results over the last thirty days running instead of starting from zero every week. Add metrics that recognize good team play instead of individual stats.

4. Add the ability to vote-kick AFK'ers and mercs in WFs who refuse to participate, with a penalty of being locked out for an hour (heck ... I'd make it a day) if you get kicked. Make the criteria tough enough that people couldn't abuse the process (like kicking high performance merc just to keep him out of following matches or kicking somebody for merely being obnoxious), but give us the ability to dump the jerks who ruin the game for us.

Ascendant

most suggestions base on the idea to force players to pvp, if people want to do pvp the game offers a LOT of oportunities already. But obviously thats not what most players want ...

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Grimt View Post
    I 4. Add the ability to vote-kick AFK'ers and mercs in WFs who refuse to participate, with a penalty of being locked out for an hour (heck ... I'd make it a day) if you get kicked. Make the criteria tough enough that people couldn't abuse the process (like kicking high performance merc just to keep him out of following matches or kicking somebody for merely being obnoxious), but give us the ability to dump the jerks who ruin the game for us.
    this is already in and the penalty is 60 minutes ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Antigonos View Post
    most suggestions base on the idea to force players to pvp, if people want to do pvp the game offers a LOT of oportunities already. But obviously thats not what most players want ...
    When you say a lot of opportunities to PvP do you mean..

Black garden,
    Whitefall Steppers
    Battle of Port Scion
    Library of the Runemasters
    The Codex

And the suggestions havent been about forcing players to play, let me recap you through some of the suggestions made:

Mentoring
    better ranked WF's
    Incorporating more team stategy in WF's
    Let people queue for PvP Rifts like LFD.

NONE of the above force players to PvP. They are all solutions for allowing more people to enjoy PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Misun View Post
    That sounds like twinking to the extreme. I thought you didn't approve of twinking?
    Twinking is based on gear. Boosting players up to an artifical R40 is about filling slots in high ranked WFs to keep genuine low ranks and R40s separate. It's the same concept as discouraging twinking, because the over geared/over ranked players are what drive away the fresh blood and casuals. The Valor exchange is to make it worth a low ranked players time to bother to participate instead of give up due to frustration from a laundry list of issues plaguing pvp in Rift. There's no point in mentoring if you're going to get splattered in 3 hits. Same goes for twinking where as, there's no point to participating if WFs are full of twinks. This way it gives those players lesser players a chance where they feel like their participation counts for something.
    Last edited by Trisian; 05-20-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trisian View Post
    Twinking is based on gear.
    Gear that's easily obtainable ay anyone.

because the over geared/over ranked players are what drive away the fresh blood and casuals.
    Lack of a big enough population for consistent ranked wf matches is what's ruining 50 pvp wf's.

A rank 3 should not be fighting a rank 40.

Ok, I think I see what you're saying. Do you mean a rank 40 could share some of his valor, via mentoring to another level 50?

I thought you meant a level 50 sharing his valor with like a level 20 (adventure level)

Gear that's easily obtainable ay anyone.

Lack of a big enough population for consistent ranked wf matches is what's ruining 50 pvp wf's.

A rank 3 should not be fighting a rank 40.

Ok, I think I see what you're saying. Do you mean a rank 40 could share some of his valor, via mentoring to another level 50?

I thought you meant a level 50 sharing his valor with like a level 20 (adventure level)
    I think you mis understand him. He is talking about sharing his valor with a low rank level 50. No a level 20!

Quote Originally Posted by jaal View Post
    I think you mis understand him. He is talking about sharing his valor with a low rank level 50. No a level 20!
    haha yeah I see that now. My bad!

this is already in and the penalty is 60 minutes ^^
    I honestly didn't know that, and I've never seen it used even when mercs sit at the spawn site and taunt everybody in warfront chat. You can bet I'll give it a try next time.

The situation is just the opposite as far as I'm concerned. Whether we agree with them or not, most suggestions (valid or not) here have been intended to counter aspects of PvP that lessen the enjoyment for the people who made the suggestions. There are indeed lots of opportunities for PvP in Rift ... the problem is that not enough of them are actually fun. How much fun do you have playing a wildly unbalanced WF? How much fun do you have doing a typical PvP rift?

And not to mention the reputation it takes in order to be able to purchase the runes and essences from the unseen. You can only gain the rep through dailies, so it takes a long, long time.

WTB more ways to gain unseen rep.
    Agreed. Hoping conquest might dosh out a bit of rep!
    Capes
    Cloaks

Thoroar - Narcissia - Ricroar - Swimella
    I'm @Icewatch, /hug me!

Soulwalker

In the spirit of the OP, here are 2 ideas to stir creative juices and (possibly) even help (incrementally) improve PVP:
    • More Warfronts: Add new warfront designs into the rotation, and remove a few on a weekly basis. Adding a new one and removing one temporarily simply keeps the population the same for queue times. Remember Highpass Cemetary and Khaine's Embrace from Warhammer? They had different mechanics, and would make the Rift WFs more diverse. Can't you 'borrow' those? I don't think Warhammer will miss them anymore...
    • 'Naked' Warfronts: NAKED!?! Imagine playing a warfront where everyone is playing with base Rank 50 stats, without stat increases from armor, weapons or trinkets. Effectively, everyone in the WF is a new-50 statwise. The only buffs you can get are self-buffs or those from your teammates. No Farclan Tiramisu or Heroic Intoxicating Malted Beverages. Just your skills against the other guy. And make it a random variable that you are birthday-suited. Perhaps there is a 10% chance that any warfront that pops is Naked. It solves the problem with ID weapons in WFs

Just a long time forum lurker's 2 cents...

haha yeah I see that now. My bad!
    Yep no hard feelings. My brain moves faster than my fingers so I don't always get my point across entirely.

That's why I suggested pvp mentoring. Trainees would actively seek out mentors so they can roll with the big boys and gain prestige faster without the 3 shot splatters (sounds like a taco bell run), where as mentors would actively recruit trainees to bring in dedicated players who want to proactively be apart of Rift's end game. The result is , the fresh blood gets injected instantly serving the purpose of not allowing end game to grow stagnant while encouraging said fresh blood to stick with it long enough to grind and be mentors themselves one day.
    Last edited by Trisian; 05-20-2012 at 04:58 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast