+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: What kills Rift PvP?

Default What kills Rift PvP?

I really don't think it is the game itself, I think it can be summed down to 99% how ****ty most of this community is. Dont get me wrong a lot of you are hella cool, and do your best, but I logged onto PTS to see Conquest and just got off.

It's disgusting how bitter some people are in this game.

Congrats Trion for at least makin an attempt to please the PvP community, but just forget it most of these kids don't know what they want. They would rather just tell you how terrible you are.

I thought I was burned out of Rift, but after today I think I can honestly say I am just burned out with the *******s that call Rift home.
    You can talk **** on other MMO's but I have never seen such a large portion of a community that are absolutely clueless about the game they are playing and still try to give harrassing feedback....

my 2 cents
    Last edited by Am0n; 05-17-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    "You lost me at Balance"

Def community.

It's gotten seemingly progressively worse in every MMO I've played *laugh*, though part of that might have to do with newer games doing less to hold the more traditional PvP crowd's interest and you get the not-really PvP types making up the majority of the pop.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

Teddro - Warrior - Seastone

Synna - Rogue - Vigil

Synna Stonecove/Invalid Target for all those darkfall people

Rift Disciple

Sadly this is true.

Every game has its bugs, imperfections, balance issues and whatnot. But the number one thing that ruins PvP and PvE in any MMO is the rudeness of the people sitting behind the computer unconstrained from any of the consequences from the antisocial behavior they display while dealing with other people online. Because it's so difficult to badmouth someone else a thousand miles away.

I can only imagine how it was testing the new PvP content considering how ill-mannered people behave in-game right now. I don't even bother anymore with it myself. At least games nowadays have the ignore function.

are you all complaining about the chatter in the PTS for Conquest?

if so, just ignore it like I did and have fun. give feedback for how it can be improved.

Lets Go Rift. Hope Archeage can do something next. Lets Save Rift

Quote Originally Posted by Lightsworn View Post
    Sadly this is true.

Every game has its bugs, imperfections, balance issues and whatnot. But the number one thing that ruins PvP and PvE in any MMO is the rudeness of the people sitting behind the computer unconstrained from any of the consequences from the antisocial behavior they display while dealing with other people online. Because it's so difficult to badmouth someone else a thousand miles away.

I can only imagine how it was testing the new PvP content considering how ill-mannered people behave in-game right now. I don't even bother anymore with it myself. At least games nowadays have the ignore function.
    nobody is even talking in the team channel. most of the talk is in the level 50 channel. but that has all sides in it.

the population in Conquest mode right now is low because people cant queue into it right now. Would be nice if Trion open it up again right now .

check out my suggestion thread on the PTS on how Conquest can be improved.

The lack of content

I could care less what the community is like, I'll find the group of friends that I enjoy playing with and kill everyone else.

But if there's nothing to do, that's when things get hairy.
    ~Quiescent

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    The lack of content

I could care less what the community is like, I'll find the group of friends that I enjoy playing with and kill everyone else.

True, but a solid community can make their own events and make them work.

You know as well as I do why Runescape is still alive. It's all the community ran events. You can be in the Pure World, Zerk World, Main World, Turmoil World, all of them have thick community ties, and amazing fan made events. PvP has been updated very little since RS was in its infancy, yet the competition, and community keep it going.

Maybe Conquest could be a gateway to this kind of activity.

I just wish we had an = to Clan Wars, where we can pre-determine Group sizes, and any two parties can go in and fight it out. No Leaderboards, no ranking, just fan made sites, aftermath topics, and youtube videos to back up your bragging rights.

Why am I such a dork and love RS PvP LOL, havent played in years but I never quit that game because it got old, I just got old and don't have the time to dedicate like you need with RS LOL

Hell, why do you think Gw2 will make it? PvP wont be updated much, and it'll be pretty much the same sPvP maps all the time, but with server rentals being possible, people will be fighting for years for that sense of accomplishment. It also helps that ArenaNet is going to be trying very hard to make the community succeed like this.

I want Trion to make an outlet for us competitive PvPers, you don't need to balance around us, what you give us we will make work, just give us an area to do it. Sure the whiny part of the community will complain about imbalances, but who cares. They have the whole damn game to be casual.

Trion this is probably my last little whimper to you, but give the elitests a home. It can be as small as just an area we can instance with anyone with matched opts fights, be it 5v5 or 100v100 we can have the competition we want.
    Last edited by Am0n; 05-17-2012 at 06:41 PM.
    "You lost me at Balance"

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    The lack of content

or you get bored of the current PvP as well.

I sometimes would like to group up in the world just to lay siege against enemy faction quest hubs till enemy faction come and stop us. But hard to get people together to do this on my server since I play on a PvE server.

I would like tools in the game that can start PvP. Developers handle that. Massive scale PvP is the best and most fun. But when it has objectives, and tools, it become even better.

right now, Conquest is a interesting idea, but need more to it. But thats only if Developers that made it, are open to the idea that its not perfect.

Warhammer's developers were very Egocentric, and didnt like anybody telling them that their design is flawed. Trion cant act that way. Conquest is flawed. I am playing it right now. and it needs improvements in design.

I understand that the competitive nature of PvP and the adrenaline rushes might lead to people becoming a little bit too aggressive and vocal but this isn't limited to the PvP community though it is arguably the worst and most widespread.

The attitude throughout not only Rift but all online communities is declining to the point that these places are no longer pleasant but actually unpleasant. I'm seeing an increasing number of suggestions on these forums which aim to fix certain problems in the game tied in to negative aspects of the community through changes in game design or features themselves. This should not be the case at all! We are the community and we created these problems which are not flaws in the game but flaws in our collective social character. I am aware I am bundling the entire community together in this statement but alas, it is how I feel.

We should not be aiming to fix social problems with changes in game design as all this does is cover the problem behind a facade.

Mini rant - slightly off topic.

As for the PTS tonight, there was a percentage of players that were particularly vocal and not entirely productive. I'm not saying the developers should be treated like gods but here they are unveiling a new feature to the community which they have poured resources into and they are met with a rabble. These are the people developing the game for you and-... I'm ranting again...

*sighs and wanders off grumbling*

Roleplay Character - Himo (Level 50 Elf Cleric) <The Clandestine>
    PvE/PvP Character - Katketty (Level 50 High Elf Rogue) <Crucio Sanctorum>

Quote Originally Posted by Am0n View Post
    True, but a solid community can make their own events and make them work.

You know as well as I do why Runescape is still alive. It's all the community ran events. You can be in the Pure World, Zerk World, Main World, Turmoil World, all of them have thick community ties, and amazing fan made events. PvP has been updated very little since RS was in its infancy, yet the competition, and community keep it going.

Maybe Conquest could be a gateway to this kind of activity.

I just wish we had an = to Clan Wars, where we can pre-determine Group sizes, and any two parties can go in and fight it out. No Leaderboards, no ranking, just fan made sights, aftermath topics, and youtube videos to back up your bragging rights.

Why am I such a dork and love RS PvP LOL, havent played in years but I never quit that game because it got old, I just got old and don't have the time to dedicate like you need with RS LOL

They have tools. We need Tools for creating out own PvP, in a less stressful and serious manor.

if I am on my server, and ask people to join me in attacking Sanctum, nobody will take me seriously, because there isnt a reason or motive to. People would rather do things that allow them to progress, and I dont blame them.

if the tools were in place, with a Carrot as well, we could see more done in terms of PvP and even PvE.

Right now for me it's purely the itemization. So much fail. At least what they have shown us.
    Last edited by Violacea; 05-17-2012 at 06:44 PM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Timer: It's not a lack of content I dont htink though, Trion tries to release content, it is a lack of the correct content.

Now it sounds like I am contradicting myself but I feel I am not because:

1. With how the game is people of all playstyles are forced to co exist. No offense but this makes the top end PvPers feel dumbed down to be in the same atmosphere as the people asking how to make a macro.

2. Give us a small little area to instance against w/e size battle we want, maybe scale the battle field according to the amount of participants, and the casuals can have their precious casual friendly Rift, and the Elitests can stay in their own little corner fighting amongst each other.
    "You lost me at Balance"

Rift Disciple

The Twinking can be annoying, but its not solely responsible for the issues with PvP.

Honestly I think most people accustomed to more fluid and balanced PvP...It's hard coming from a game like WoW that made PvP feel almost like an action game, to this.

The best description of PvP in Rift I've come across so far:

If WoW were a Porsche, Rift would be a dump truck....with a flat tire...and maybe like a really dirty windshield.

It's fun but given the alternatives it just doesn't stand up under the scrutiny.
    Last edited by Hugatree; 05-17-2012 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Himo View Post
    I understand that the competitive nature of PvP and the adrenaline rushes might lead to people becoming a little bit too aggressive and vocal but this isn't limited to the PvP community though it is arguably the worst and most widespread.

The attitude throughout not only Rift but all online communities is declining to the point that these places are no longer pleasant but actually unpleasant. I'm seeing an increasing number of suggestions on these forums which aim to fix certain problems in the game tied in to negative aspects of the community through changes in game design or features themselves. This should not be the case at all! We are the community and we created these problems which are not flaws in the game but flaws in our collective social character. I am aware I am bundling the entire community together in this statement but alas, it is how I feel.

We should not be aiming to fix social problems with changes in game design as all this does is cover the problem behind a facade.

Mini rant - slightly off topic.

As for the PTS tonight, there was a percentage of players that were particularly vocal and not entirely productive. I'm not saying the developers should be treated like gods but here they are unveiling a new feature to the community which they have poured resources into and they are met with a rabble. These are the people developing the game for you and-... I'm ranting again...

*sighs and wanders off grumbling*

I respectfully disagree.

this is a new generation of MMO gaming. as the generation progress, the mindset is what changes.

for example,

at one point when MMO were new deal to most people, the idea of Leveling was looked at as a honorable thing to do. "YAY I LEVELED UP!!! DING EVERYBODY!!!"

but over time as these people become settled into the MMORPG genre, they started to realize that the Leveling is only a unless illusion, and isnt the real deal game.

(New generation)
    this is were a new generation started powerleveling in MMO to get to max level as soon as possible, in every new MMO. Because the mindset changed over time, that Leveling is no longer looked at as an Accomplishment, but a Useless Choir.

now we are at our current generation.
    People prefer to play solo, without being forced to group. aka Open Rewards for all, so we dont compete for rewards, etc. Like what GW2 is doing. thats next gen stuff, adapting to the new MMO gamer's mindset. thats what needs to be done.

we want more group content, and more PvP, we need developers to build these new ideas around the new MMO gamer mindset.

I want large scale cross server PvP as well as Large Scale PvE. But I cant do the party dungeons or long time grinds. I want fun. For PvE I want to gain Raid gear through other equal viable methods than just Party Dungeons.

for PvP, I want Large scale PvP, but I dont want to have to spam channels trying to find people interesting in attacking a location on the map. We need more World Queue ideas (similar to IA) so players interesting in large scale PvP from all servers can queue into a large PvP map that has objectives, similar to Conquest mode.

spice it up a bit, with sieges and other mechanics that make things more dynamic and fun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast