+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23
Like Tree259Likes

Thread: Campaign against exp lock in Warfronts

Quote Originally Posted by Nuuli View Post
    I think it's Trion answer for the xp-lock. It takes away one argument of fufilling zone experience and quests and it eliminates locked twinks.
    I don't think so. See my previous post for why I don't think so.

I will add that the timing is just all wrong. Putting together something like the mentor system takes longer than a weekend. I would hazard that the mentor system was at least on the drawing board, if not already in development, when XP locking was put in place. It sure as heck was in development when Hartsman made his famous "it's not that bad" statement about twinking.

You don't create a system to fix a problem before it's a problem.

And, during the whole time twinking was in action, Trion maintained that they never thought of it as a problem. They seemed actually proud of the fact that they took twinking into account, and took steps to minimize it's impact, when they designed the game.

No, as I've said, I think XP lock was just a stop gap, or a test bed, for the mentoring system. I do think it's a little shady to put a system in place knowing full well that they were going to take it away in the next patch though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuuli View Post
    I think it's Trion answer for the xp-lock. It takes away one argument of fufilling zone experience and quests and it eliminates locked twinks.
    I was never aware there was such an adamant demand to "downgrade" your 50 just to run low level content again...I guess the whole "naked" challenges are just too complicated for people so Trion had to make the mentor system.

The mentoring system seems to be a pretty lackluster idea/system at best. In theory, it provides an option for lvl 50's recruiting friends (lowbies) to group up with them without just turning them into a mobile backpack. In practice, I don't imagine mentoring is going to see a lot of use (ultimately a waste of resources - coding and money). Surely there are other things that require more "attention?"
    But at least we can get married now!
    I'll be fishing in Codex...
    Nobodi - R8 Mage Defiant Deepwood
    Somebodi - 19 Rogue Guardian Deepwood (twink wannabe)

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Meina View Post
    The only gain I can see is that it allows you to down-level your toon so you can quest or run dungeons with friends or guildmates who are playing low level toons. Without mentoring, the 50 would just blow through the low level content and completely remove the challenge for the level appropriate players.

It also allows players to effectively level lock their toons so they can finish PvE content they might out level, just like the level locking system does now.

I do agree with you though. I really don't see a big call for it.
    I absolutely loved the mentoring system in EQ2. EQ2 had ****loads more content than rift and almost double the levels. There was a reason for it in EQ2. In rift its so freaking ez to get to 50 or whatever lvl ya wanna level lock, I just dont see the point. PA's in this game are so freaking boring. They spent like 20 mins making the trees? Lemme go grind a few hours to get a few atk power, if i grind all day i can do another 2 damage on a crit wtf.
    On top of that to advance to the next level of PA you have to buy every PA so we will all eventually have the same PA wtf?
    Without level lock this game is a mindless treadmill of very little content. Trion made their world way too small with very little reason to explore any of it once ya hit 50. We need more than gear, crappy PA and HORRIBLE 50 PVP to keep us interested.

Level locking is by far the best thing youve done for the game since launch. Merc system comes in close
    2nd but wouldnt have been needed if you controlled the population on each side.
    Last edited by Nsayn1; 06-12-2012 at 05:55 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Nsayn1 View Post
    I absolutely loved the mentoring system in EQ2. EQ2 had ****loads more content than rift and almost double the levels. There was a reason for it in EQ2. In rift its so freaking ez to get to 50 or whatever lvl ya wanna level lock, I just dont see the point. PA's in this game are so freaking boring. They spent like 20 mins making the trees? Lemme go grind a few hours to get a few atk power, if i grind all day i can do another 2 damage on a crit wtf.
    On top of that to advance to the next level of PA you have to buy every PA so we will all eventually have the same PA wtf?
    Without level lock this game is a mindless treadmill of very little content. Trion made their world way too small with very little reason to explore any of it once ya hit 50. We need more than gear, crappy PA and HORRIBLE 50 PVP to keep us interested.

Level locking is by far the best thing youve done for the game since launch. Merc system comes in close
    2nd but wouldnt have been needed if you controlled the population on each side.
    No offense but it sounds to me like you are having a hard time in 50 pvp and that's why you think you need to twink to have a good time, if you inbox me I can help you with a build that will make you more effective for any class. Also, there are many reasons to explore achievements shiny hunting etc.. you must realize this game is only a little over a year old and it rolls out content faster than any MMO I have ever seen, it hasn't been out for 8 years like WoW has or ultima online or everquest most people fail to understand this.

Rather ironic the direction things went in this game after xp lock demise.
    \

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23