Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: You broke your pvp more than you fixed it

Shadowlander

Default You broke your pvp more than you fixed it

mad props.... not sure how you managed to make what was bad even worse.... just flat out impressive.

**golf clap**
    **golf clap**
    **golf clap**

It would be helpful if you gave us a point where we could start telling you how you were wrong.

I'll just go ahead and cover it with this:

Warrior: Fine
    Rogue: Fine
    Mage: Fine
    Cleric: Fine

If you're dying in 1 hit then you need to get gear. This is a MMO, the geargrind is the foundation of the game. If you don't like geargrinds then I suggest games where you're automatically maxed out, like Warhammer: Wrath of Heroes or Dota or a fps like CoD. Frequently you aren't even dying in one hit, but a big burst based on procs or rng.

If you aren't able to heal, find a better spec. If you aren't able to kill things, find a better spec. If you have the proper spec, use your abilities smarter. You probably need better situational awareness, too.

If you perform fine but never win, we all get terrible teams from time to time, it seems to run in hot streaks of winning and losing.

Did that help?

Edit: Twinking is a valid point until they nerf the crafted gear and make them have proper level requirements when crafted with a 300 purple augment. Also the runes that were grandfathered in.
    Last edited by Valnak; 05-03-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Valnak View Post
    This is a MMO, the geargrind is the foundation of the game.
    Getting somewhat tired of hearing this misconception.

It's a very small portion of the population who play an MMO for the "thrill" of the grind.

MMORPG = Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

Where is the word "grind" in there?

We log on because we want:
    - Massive: So we can explore a large virtual world we can feel invested in and a part of
    - Multiplayer: So we can carry out challenges with and against human players
    - Online: So we can connect to others outside of our RL communities
    - Role: So we can contribute to specific functions when solving challenges
    - Playing: So we can play a Game
    - Game: Yes ... it's a game. Not a chore. Not a quota. Not a grind. Not a job ... A Game.

If you are one of those who are the victim of poor MMO design, I beg for you to shake yourself out if it.

There are great games out there, and you should demand more than a "grind" as the foundation of your play time.

And BTW, losing 1v1 is not always about the player's spec. A game designer (cough, Trion) can screw up so badly, skill has little to do with losing or wining.
    Last edited by Costs; 05-03-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Ascendant

playing warfronts in gw2 gave me the conclusion i WANT gear and char progression. Having all maxed out handed out to made playing warfronts totally obnoxious and boring.

Shadowlander

Are you high?....

No seriously....

Are you high?....

No?

Must be troll then.

Warriors: fine.... lol

So high

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Antigonos View Post
    playing warfronts in gw2 gave me the conclusion i WANT gear and char progression. Having all maxed out handed out to made playing warfronts totally obnoxious and boring.
    *Sighs*

Outside of playing the Beta, I ALSO watched/read what the game is going to offer which INCLUDES world PVP events that will have gear and char progression involved. You CAN have it all.

Shadowlander

[/SIZE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Costs View Post
    Getting somewhat tired of hearing this misconception.

It's a very small portion of the population who play an MMO for the "thrill" of the grind.

MMORPG = Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

Where is the word "grind" in there?

We log on because we want:
    - Massive: So we can explore a large virtual world we can feel invested in and a part of
    - Multiplayer: So we can carry out challenges with and against human players
    - Online: So we can connect to others outside of our RL communities
    - Role: So we can contribute to specific functions when solving challenges
    - Playing: So we can play a Game
    - Game: Yes ... it's a game. Not a chore. Not a quota. Not a grind. Not a job ... A Game.

If you are one of those who are the victim of poor MMO design, I beg for you to shake yourself out if it.

There are great games out there, and you should demand more than a "grind" as the foundation of your play time.

And BTW, losing 1v1 is not always about the player's spec. A game designer (cough, Trion) can screw up so badly, skill has little to do with losing or wining.
    Had to Emphasize the part in bold. Very well spoken you guy!

That other guy said warriors were fine!!!

I think he is high... or plays a warrior
    Last edited by Madcoconut; 05-03-2012 at 11:39 PM.

snip
    The grind is in progressing your character. Many players come together to help progress their characters, the grind may be pvp as in this case, or it may be to kill golden dragon #2.

Some players do not play for the carrot on the stick, these players are rare. Most players play for this carrot and this carrot is either at the end of a grind (pvp gear) or an achievement (pvp weapons and raid drops).

The reason we play MMOs is to be social with one another. The reason why grinds need to exist is to give this community something to do. When the community has nothing to do, then you get a dying MMO such as Warhammer Online.

As I've said before: every mmo is just one huge grind for the shiny epic (even if the epic is a tank like World of Tanks). The only difference in MMOs is whether or not you enjoy the grind.

If you don't enjoy the grind, don't play. If you liked the grind once and you don't like it now then you should stop playing for a few months and try again later, if so desired.

Breaking down the term MMORPG into what it means to you is fine and all, but MMOs have evolved far beyond what they literally mean.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Antigonos View Post
    Yea its totally obnoxious and boring to have everyone on a even playing field....
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

Rift Disciple

The reason why grinds need to exist is to give this community something to do.
    *Cries*

Rift is a good game for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Madcoconut View Post
    [/SIZE]

Had to Emphasize the part in bold. Very well spoken you guy!

That other guy said warriors were fine!!!

I think he is high... or plays a warrior
    You and me play mages. Mages are fine. Warriors are easy to deal with compared to other classes, if you know how to deal with them. Instead, you seem to always want to complain about warriors, even a year ago.

Dealing with Warriors usually involves not standing in CB/RS. I actually had a mage tell me once that flicker doesn't count in that situation because the warrior can teleport to you, even though CB/RS only lasts 2.5s.

I took that to mean he just stands in the CB/RS while complaining that mages are underpowered and that obviously he isn't the one to blame for him standing in things that hurt.

*Cries*

Rift is a good game for you.
    If MMOs weren't for me then I wouldn't be playing MMOs. Rift is far less grindy than some of the games I've played. Everyone remembers Aion right? Let's not forget Warhammer's grind to rr100.

Grinding and MMOs are synonymous, unless you want to pay a lot of real life money. Then you should probably ask the spammers in 1-29 chat.

Rift Disciple

Grinding and MMOs are synonymous.
    I'm sorry you have given up and feel that way. I wish you the best of luck and enjoyment in your grind.

I'm sorry you have given up and feel that way. I wish you the best of luck and enjoyment in your grind.
    You have to give players something to do.

What do you suggest?

All you've been doing is insulting me while smugly implying that "it can be another way."

Ascendant

You have to give players something to do.

What do you suggest?

All you've been doing is insulting me while smugly implying that "it can be another way."
    If you make it fun players don't need a gear grind.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast