+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: PVP: Goooooo bye-bye.

Default PVP: Goooooo bye-bye.

It's funny how many people complain about the nature of PVP in Rift. It's just another alternate feature; not the primary focus of the game. I think it's nice that it even exists as a "take a break" option to add diversity. But all the complaining just seems to be a distraction, and spread thin the developers' focus

IF people want to PVP as their main goal, there's plenty of games where that is the primary feature (Battlefield and the like). Post of the nature "PVP Sucks; I'm gonna quit" reaffirms that you probably shouldn't have been playing this game to begin with.

A lot of people I know have only done it because of the benefits it offers PVE (augments, and for a while High quality PVE weapons, etc.). Otherwise they wouldn't have even touched it.

Sometimes I wonder if putting PVP into the game at all was a mistake...

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Polyteknix View Post
    It's funny how many people complain about the nature of PVP in Rift. It's just another alternate feature; not the primary focus of the game. I think it's nice that it even exists as a "take a break" option to add diversity. But all the complaining just seems to be a distraction, and spread thin the developers' focus

IF people want to PVP as their main goal, there's plenty of games where that is the primary feature (Battlefield and the like). Post of the nature "PVP Sucks; I'm gonna quit" reaffirms that you probably shouldn't have been playing this game to begin with.

A lot of people I know have only done it because of the benefits it offers PVE (augments, and for a while High quality PVE weapons, etc.). Otherwise they wouldn't have even touched it.

Sometimes I wonder if putting PVP into the game at all was a mistake...
    All of that is your opinion. Unfortunately, you're entitled to one. Thanks for sharing.
    Unrated -- Now show me on this doll where the mean rogue touched you.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyteknix View Post
    It's just another alternate feature; not the primary focus of the game.
    For many of us, it is the primary focus of the game. Long before launch, the pvp aspect of the game was hyped by the developers. It drew many people (including my husband, me and a lot of our rl friends) to the game, because of the pvp hype.

IF people want to PVP as their main goal, there's plenty of games where that is the primary feature
    We know, that's why a huge chunk of us will be heading to GW2

Hmm. after looking at my thread just some clarification.

I have nothing against PVP. I have participated, had some fun, and even wish there were additional reasons to participate. (I even made a general topic thread where I suggest PVP should offer the BIS DPS weapons to promote participation)

But I get confused by things like: < just a sample post I grabbed from a random thread>
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhetoric View Post
    I have to say... I'm getting pretty bored with this game. I've been P40 forever now, and I don't pve.
    I try to thing back to when the game was launched and there is nothing that comes to mind saying "This is going to be an awesome PVP focused game". All the marketing seems to have been "Fantasy MMO with a lot of diversity including PVP"

Seeking an honest answer here, for all the people who are "PVP ONLY"... what made you pick up this game to begin with?

Why Rift instead of something where PVP was the primary focus? Was there just no good PVP primary focused game out at the time playing in the fantasy genre?

What gave the impression that PVP development in a game like this would be anywhere close to the effort put into PVE? I guess I'm just confused.

And when I said maybe it would have been better if PVP wasn't introduced, it was because I somehow feel like a lot of people are implying they were somehow mislead.

I really enjoy this game. Others don't anymore and that's fine. But seeing people bash Rift on these forums for not being something that, as far as I can determine, it never claimed to be.... leaves me confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Misun View Post
    For many of us, it is the primary focus of the game. Long before launch, the pvp aspect of the game was hyped by the developers. It drew many people (including my husband, me and a lot of our rl friends) to the game, because of the pvp hype.
    See that's the thing I was looking for. Do you have any example of this "PVP Hype"? I mean I went back and looked at some of the promo videos and I do see the Defiant/Guardian conflict played up; But PVE always came off as the primary element to me.

And the way you said it. "We're gonna go try GuildWars 2" is nice. But people saying "Rift is dead because PVP sucks" just boggles me.
    Last edited by Polyteknix; 05-03-2012 at 11:46 AM.

/yawn

Shadowlander

As long as there are people to beat on, I'll be PVP'ing. Every WF match is challenging, especially now with twinks, so I'm content for now.

[QUOTE=Polyteknix;3771073]

See that's the thing I was looking for. Do you have any example of this "PVP Hype"? I mean I went back and looked at some of the promo videos and I do see the Defiant/Guardian conflict played up; But PVE always came off as the primary element to me.

And the way you said it. "We're gonna go try GuildWars 2" is nice. But people saying "Rift is dead because PVP sucks" just boggles me.
    Sure, here's just one example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VULIG7JMisE

You can see developer Bill Fisher saying that the "hardcore" pvper's will love rift.

You can also go to the trion homepage and take a look at every class video there and see how they tantalized us with pvp class abilities, etc.

Also, the original trailer for rift (the same trailer that's on the launcher) shows two Defiant's fighting a Guardian, who opens a rift in order to distract them, so he can make his get away.

They also touted the pvp souls that each class would have (which of course they removed)

For a lot of us, we followed this game for a long time..eagerly awaiting each and every sliver of information the released about pvp. There was a lot of hype about the pvp and it convinced us that this was going to be a dynamic game as far as pvp went.

And lastly, one of the main hypes that was marketed: Guardians fighting against Defiants.

And they also publicly stated that they would add rvr if the pvpers wanted it.

its the pvpers equivalent to offering megan fox to a basement virgin
    r40 puzzlybox <rise of mayhem> whoo whoo
    r40 pizzabox wheeeeeeeee

puzzlebox + apoth = <3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL4L4Uv5rf0

Goo?

inb4lock
    Wqrriqr: 207850 Defiants decapitated

Old Videos: PVP1 & PVP2
    0/11 HK 1/1 GW2

We know, that's why a huge chunk of us will be heading to GW2
    Unless you are the same out the box as you are on day 90, then the game is not focused on pvp. Henceforth, pretty much all MMO's. An MMO focused on pvp would be an FPS with auto aim. The games have storyline, elements, goals, things to earn, stuff to do. The best pvp games pretty much had zero story line and there was no sense of 'earning' things. You played, got good, and won games. All there was to it. From what I hear gw2 is just another flavor in the 36 flavor MMO shop. The problem is people trying to find essential nutrition in an ice cream shop. All the flavors in the world wont fundamentally deliver what people are asking for. It's an era that died shortly after the 90s. Video gaming is mainstream, casual and shiney/alluring. It's not gritty and competitive really anymore. At least some companies have maintained the concept of 'fun', I think MMO's least handle that part good.

Based on what I read people wanting on the forums and what I read about new hailed games, pretty much nobody is finding what they want. Can't turn back the hands of a clock.

The game has classes - some people will choose better ones for situations and people will say x is OP
    The game has gear - people will say newbs with better gear win cause of it
    The game has progression - people will say no lifers with too much time win cause of that

Like I said, just a different flavor a few buckets over. Unfortunately, you're a few stores away from the one you want.
    Last edited by Violacea; 05-03-2012 at 01:41 PM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Jpd
    Soulwalker

pvp is boring now, simply because I have been max rank and max gear for more than 6 months, and I just really have no desire to log in, purchase some wrath spikes so that I have to max favor out again, AGAIN.

and I am not at all looking forward to see how they **** the classes over once again, buff this and break that, then buff that and break this.....it never ends.

During this 6 months, all the other players that have never even had to experience how it was in the beginning, roll in prepay get their vet pots and are same rank and gear as me, with hardly any of the effort.

just tossing my opinion into the mix, may as well but I don't care anymore. I allready have quit and unless Trion releases something before my prepaid time ends, I will stay quit. Nothing more to it really, thanks for reading bye.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    Unless you are the same out the box as you are on day 90, then the game is not focused on pvp. Henceforth, pretty much all MMO's. An MMO focused on pvp would be an FPS with auto aim. The games have storyline, elements, goals, things to earn, stuff to do. The best pvp games pretty much had zero story line and there was no sense of 'earning' things. You played, got good, and won games. All there was to it. From what I hear gw2 is just another flavor in the 36 flavor MMO shop. The problem is people trying to find essential nutrition in an ice cream shop. All the flavors in the world wont fundamentally deliver what people are asking for. It's an era that died shortly after the 90s. Video gaming is mainstream, casual and shiney/alluring. It's not gritty and competitive really anymore. At least some companies have maintained the concept of 'fun', I think MMO's least handle that part good.

Based on what I read people wanting on the forums and what I read about new hailed games, pretty much nobody is finding what they want. Can't turn back the hands of a clock.

The game has classes - some people will choose better ones for situations and people will say x is OP
    The game has gear - people will say newbs with better gear win cause of it
    The game has progression - people will say no lifers with too much time win cause of that

Like I said, just a different flavor a few buckets over. Unfortunately, you're a few stores away from the one you want.
    Wooo, another person with know real knowledge of GW2 jumps on the hate train, but we have always known you were a Trion fanboy from the start, but I still love you, don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpd View Post
    pvp is boring now, simply because I have been max rank and max gear for more than 6 months
    Nothing more to it really, thanks for reading bye.
    Funny, the most enthralling pvp game I played I never earned 1 thing in 8 years, but I enjoyed the pvp. Problem with MMO pvp is too many people simply enjoying earning stuff for pvp. Nobody actually likes to pvp. They just want to get things and when they can't get things they get bored. New maps is the minimum you really need to keep pvp entertaining for a long period of time. If it isn't, then you don't enjoy pvp'ing, you enjoy getting stuff to pvp with.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    Funny, the most enthralling pvp game I played I never earned 1 thing in 8 years, but I enjoyed the pvp. Problem with MMO pvp is too many people simply enjoying earning stuff for pvp. Nobody actually likes to pvp. They just want to get things and when they can't get things they get bored. New maps is the minimum you really need to keep pvp entertaining for a long period of time. If it isn't, then you don't enjoy pvp'ing, you enjoy getting stuff to pvp with.
    You do realize that in GW2 when you enter a Matchmaking instance, everyone within that instance is granted level 80, maxed talents, and max gear, right? Their is no "earning". But i suppose wanting a challenge, and wanting a rating can be construed as "wanting to earn" something by PVPing. Your context seem'd to point more too a reward based system of gear/stats/ranks/whatever.
    Last edited by Narrianduex; 05-03-2012 at 01:50 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast