+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what is this spec?

Shadowlander

Default what is this spec?

i play a cleric, R23, and since the healing nerfs i play 51 inquisitor mostly. my SH usually hits for 1.5k - 2.5k.

the other day in a WF i ran into this warrior wielding a 2hdr, whom i kited as best i could, and noticed my SH was criting him for 800, BoJ would do like 200 damage. i thought he was in some sort of tank spec until he closed on me and hit me for 2k each hit. it was just him and i, he wasn't receiving heals nor was i being focused by anyone else but him. what spec is this? i have over 1k valor, was this simply a rank/gear difference?

please dont misunderstand me, this isnt some backwards, hidden, passive aggressive way at QQing about warriors. i dont mind powerful classes, infact i like them. having one class thats OP makes the whiners and criers quit and the rest it forces them to learn teamwork. i dont want pvp "balanced" on 1v1s either, i dont think i should be able to kill anyone and everyone 1v1 as a cleric.

if my speculation is correct and it is the spec that has massive damage reduction while still maintaining good damage output, i feel that it is a bit over the top.
    if this is simply a rank/gear difference that i experienced, then well that just sucks. that tells me that no matter how skilled i am, i will never stand a chance against some mouthbreather who can press 1,2,3 consecutively and kill me/anyone (until i get to R40 that is). this would also points out the ineffectiveness of the "ranked matches", which by the way i havent seen that pop up in about a month.

If I was playing a game of screaming numbers, it's likely a build based around VK/Champ if he's rolling around in a 2h. It would really help if you remembered the names of any of the abilities he used that hit you or any of the buffs he had (or even the icons).

How did he close on you? Blink, pull, visible charge? If he blinked to you, he's fairly deep Rift Blade. If there was a pull, he's fairly deep VK. If he had a visible, kind of airborne charging animation, he's got points in Champ.
    Last edited by Kyera; 05-03-2012 at 04:50 AM.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

Get to p40 and geared and you'll do instant 2.4k+ hits while moving and applying siphoning dots.

Also it will taken pass aggressively since you made the thread in the pvp forums instead of the warrior forums.
    Last edited by spaceboots; 05-03-2012 at 04:55 AM.

Rift Chaser

I have 2 clerics one is rank 40 the other is a Twink and I can say that unless you burn a Warrior before he gets to you you're gonna be eating some serious damage. Definitely sounds like he's champ of some sorts and some of their abilities got a substantial boost this last patch so expect to get hit hard if he gets in range.

That all being said if you play cleric expect to be the number 1 target at all times, regardless of how you spec. IMHO you have 2 options either spec full dps or sacrifice dps and healing for survivability, trying to balance dps, healing and survivability just gets you into trouble now. Nobody is gonna let you hot and dot, those days are over.

Dps - Full Inquisitor is best single target dps, pair it with Cabalist for extra kick and Obliterate is a nice burst as well. Obviously push spell power as much as possible and play like a mage. I have seen a few hybrid builds with Shaman but someone else might be able to help you there.

Survivability - Push as much Valor as possible. On my rank 40 I think I sit at 1350 or 1400 or something, it's been a while but you definitely need to focus on that if you are just over 1k. Look at it this way every 25 valor is 1% damage reduction so the difference in our stats is around 15% damage reduction right away. Also spec deep enough into Justicar to max out shield of faith. It sucks you burn points into the soul but it's more survivability. Valor upgrade and Shield of Faith will give you 30% additional damage reduction from where you stand now. Once you have that you can then decide to go healing or dps but this will keep you alive longer. This works best if you have others to dps for you as you are just the punching bag.
    Last edited by Jabbawockee; 05-03-2012 at 05:14 AM.

Shadowlander

Thanks for the response guys.

It was definitely a blink.

Are there any counters at all to that spec? I tried slowing him and doing what damage i could, but he was immune to everything and again took very little damage. I shouldnt have been caught out alone so my death was my own fault, just wondering if there is something i can do to increase my chances that i havent thought of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by old school View Post
    Thanks for the response guys.

It was definitely a blink.

Are there any counters at all to that spec? I tried slowing him and doing what damage i could, but he was immune to everything and again took very little damage. I shouldnt have been caught out alone so my death was my own fault, just wondering if there is something i can do to increase my chances that i havent thought of yet.
    Best you can hope for is purge off Planar blade before he blinks. Save CC for after he blinks and then try to kite.

If you don't have a purge, than there's not much you can do after he's in range to riftwalk.
    Debdoes
    Einherjar on Deepstrike

Champion of Telara

Sounds like RB/Champ who probably used the damage reduction Stoneshield and probably an absorb of some kind. Absorbs happen all the time in WFs from healers with various greaters and such, and they last a good while, so there didn't need to be a healer nearby. If you only hit the warrior twice, and saw those kinds of numbers Stoneshield reduces damage of the next attack by 70% (in PvP - 100% in PvE).

Could also be a VK build with RB, but that kind of damage seems more champ-worthy unless this was a warrior wielding an Aky relic 2-hander with 4-piece HK perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Lungboy View Post
    Best you can hope for is purge off Planar blade before he blinks. Save CC for after he blinks and then try to kite.

If you don't have a purge, than there's not much you can do after he's in range to riftwalk.
    Try to hit a knockback before he actually blinks, forcing him outside of blink range, then impede him.

Double knock back Inquis / 5 ward you can actually knock him out of blink back range + impede

AoE Fear him if he gets through your knockbacks, AoE Fear and hope he runs away from you, not facing you, open some distance +20m, then bewilder him + impede

If all those fail, in the immortal words of aaliyah, dust yourself off and try again

Also make sure you have perseverance up and determination specc'd to stop him from windspearing you while you try to make your escape. They also like to put up riftstorm then wind spear you before you can knock back which is deadly, perseverance helps a lot.

There is a very good chance you are not going to be able to purge planar blade before he eats you, so make sure you are using your purge if you get to kiting him, but once he is on you, all your gcd's need to be CC attempts, heals, etc.
    Last edited by ShalarLight; 05-03-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    FYI Riftstalker running isn't even pve. .... You might as well call riftstalker running PVE.

Yeah, anything with Planar Blade is an absolute nightmare to deal with in a 1v1 situation as an rdps build unless you can rip it off.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

Sword of Telara Chancellor Gowron's Avatar

Well max valor gives you somewhere around 56% damage reduction give or take. A fotm rb/champ in full valor has something like 56% base + 10% (avatar of water) +3% (void) = 69% damage reduction in full DPS spec plus potentially an extra 5% damage reduction from sentinel's protect the flock or bard's motif of tenacity bringing them pretty close to the 75% cap. With the -15% damage from AOE attacks in the pvp PA its pretty easy to reach the damage reduction cap for player aoe attacks.

I think that's how it stacks but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong

Also, they made it so the scrolling combat text shows amount absorbed so you should be able to notice when this is happening more easily now.
    Last edited by Chancellor Gowron; 05-03-2012 at 06:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread