+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: There still is no entry vector for new players into RIFT PvP

Default There still is no entry vector for new players into RIFT PvP

Just a concern of mine. I'm a full time raider and play on a PvE server (Faeblight). In my pvp gear as a cleric I run at about 1k valor since I'm only rank 19. I see a PvP rift, so figuring I would try to get my weekly done, I flag myself and grab one of the sourcestones.

I have about 5374 HP and a Guardian pyromancer approaches me and hits me with 3 fireballs and a cinderburst.

1974 (cinderburst)

I was dead in about 5 seconds.

I rez and this time I see the pyro and get the jump on him. I open up with all my debuffs and silence as a 51 druid (world grinder build). He break frees the silence and hits me with fulminate for 2101, stuns me with a fireball proc, then hits me with cinderburst for 2271.

I'm sure this guy was pretty high ranked but no matter what angle I look at it I was going to get gear dominated with no chance to act. The fights lasted for about 5 seconds at most with no challenge for him to kill me at all, regardless of the skill combination I used.

I think about new people entering PvP and getting rough up by people with massive valor and gear advantages, even with the new PvP system while barely being able to stay alive for 2-4 seconds against a burst heavy enemy.

Right now there are very few new pvpers entering the scene because many of the veterans are well established. The gear, damage, and survival between the low end of the spectrum and the high end for PvP players makes it virtually inaccessible to enter PvP.

Granted I know rift isn't a PvP focused game judging by the released pve/raid content vs. pvp. However, this doesn't mean the PvP can't be decent.

Right now its a precariously bad state because veterans are leaving and no new players enter pvp because they simply can't. They have no survival and without at least Prank 30+, they contribute very little to the team.

Attempting to enter pvp as a low prestige players is pure torture and hours of getting blown up by 1 shot abilities, short instakill skill chains, and other factors even while outfitting yourself with the best entry level gear and runes possible.

The existence of skill vs. skill or competition for new players is virtually non existent.

I sort of feel that there are two kinds of players in PvP:

The Sheep:
    Low end prestige or PvE geared players, their skill level matters very little because without gear they can barely contribute. These players end up dying in maybe 1-5 hits.

The Wolves:
    Veteran players who are incredibly geared, have a ton of points into PVP PA, and utterly dominate the sheep with the occasionaly GOOD pvp skirmish against someone with their gear level. At this point in time, when its wolf vs. wolf, this is the only time skill really comes into play.

Many sheep cannot suffer the pvp imbalance and spending many hours dominated by wolves to stay in PvP. Like many said, not having valor gear and pushing yourself through the grind makes you just want to quit and go back to raiding. Many players just do PvE unseen dailies and try to get by, without ever attempting PvP until they have the gear level of a Wolf. Some just chain que warfronts and zerg into battle as sheep, dying like lemmings just to grind for the day where they might actually pose a threat to the enemy wolves.

This environment is very unhealthy for the game, new players, and people trying to access PvP. For one, it lacks the core values of a good pvp atmosphere: which is fun and competition.

The fun is taken away because new players stand no chance against wolves. The competition is non-existent because the majority of it is gear-based domination. This boils the fun and competition into frustration, in which people just quit PvP.

I know Trion is trying with PvP. Hopefully in the future we will see some updates that help return the fun and competition to PvE. I hope that some improvements to the atmosphere and its accessibility to new players will improve.

I just simply wanted to give a real account and first hand experience of what its like to be a player who doesn't have the gear and is trying to access PvP. To show people how difficult it is and just how much new players resemble dog food in the current PvP build.
    Last edited by Lunacresia; 05-02-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Other players have voiced similar concerns, but in a geared based system, this sort of disparity is inevitable. I cannot really think of too many alternatives for Trion at this point. They have tried rank play, but with less people engaging in PVP, the lower prestige player will continually be paired up and I am sorry but giving the player a 1000 valor in no way makes them competitive against the rank 40 with the top equipment, maxed out PA, relics etc.

Now as to the scenario that you described, world PVP, being eviscerated in a manner of seconds happens all the time. Your only hope in that encounter would have been as a inquisitor trying to burst him down before he bursts you down. Druid doesn't have enough burst. I will say however that Pyromancers are doing obscene amounts of damage at present, which will have to be addressed at some point, but are sort of flying below the radar as everyone watches the one man Riftblade wrecking ball destroy everything in its path.

Rift Chaser

So what do you propose?

I play PvP in Rift. That was what I wanted to do, you chose to PvE primarily and casually PvP. I would be pretty disapointed if you could stand an equal chance vs me in a fight when I have PvP gear that took me a long time to get.

I cant raid in my PvP gear, so why should you be able to PvP in your PvE gear?

You do realize that with pvp dailies you can reach r40, have full t3 pvp gear including weapon, without ever killing another player?

Quote Originally Posted by Lunacresia View Post

I just simply wanted to give a real account and first hand experience of what its like to be a player who doesn't have the gear and is trying to access PvP. To show people how difficult it is and just how much new players resemble dog food in the current PvP build.
    But it's not a valid account.

You are on a PVE server. Which means you can do all your PVP dailies without any worry about being ganked/killed/maimed/shot/etc. You also have access to the same warfronts as anyone else. In fact, gearing up in PVP is much easier in terms of level of boredom than it is in PVE. At least Warfronts offer variety every time because the players are different. Dailies are not something that was available to most of us. Now they make it possible for someone to rank up without ever engaging in actual PVP.... so I am sorry but cannot sympathize with your plight.

You decided to participate in a PVP Rift. Which was designed to....promote World PVP. You didn't get a bodyguard, which is something any low rank stone runner should do. Your main mistake was letting that Pyro see you before you saw him. Of course he's going to attack you. You flagged up by picking up a stone. Of course he's going to unload on you, because you're a cleric and Pyro's know that if they don't burn you down instantly then they'll be chasing you around while you spam hots on yourself and your team arrives. Or worse, you're MASH and the Pyro dies of old age.

So it wasn't your lack of gear or the fact you're a lower rank that caused you to die. It was your lack of situational awareness and the fact you let that Pyro within casting range of you. It's PVP. One of you either has to die, or run away. You chose to die, because you put yourself in a situation where running away was an option no longer open to you.

Hell, I was part of the perma-flagged Defiant crew on Faeblight in the first days of PVP Rifts there, and we loved bodyguarding low rank players- we'd use em as bait to draw out the Guardians to come play. You should consider yourself lucky you got attacked, I am on a PVP server and you can do an entire Rift sometimes without seeing any opposition.

I see the point you are trying to make but you have to understand that things have been made as easy for you as they ever will be, and easier than many others had it before.
    Last edited by Ashrai; 05-02-2012 at 06:10 PM.
    Ashrai@Deepwood
    Sporeslinger of <Godlike Awesomeness>

Just a concern of mine. I'm a full time raider and play on a PvE server (Faeblight). In my pvp gear as a cleric I run at about 1k valor since I'm only rank 19. I see a PvP rift, so figuring I would try to get my weekly done, I flag myself and grab one of the sourcestones.

I have about 5374 HP and a Guardian pyromancer approaches me and hits me with 3 fireballs and a cinderburst.

1974 (cinderburst)

I rez and this time I see the pyro and get the jump on him. I open up with all my debuffs and silence as a 51 druid (world grinder build). He break frees the silence and hits me with fulminate for 2101, stuns me with a fireball proc, then hits me with cinderburst for 2271.

I'm sure this guy was pretty high ranked but no matter what angle I look at it I was going to get gear dominated with no chance to act. The fights lasted for about 5 seconds at most with no challenge for him to kill me at all, regardless of the skill combination I used.

I think about new people entering PvP and getting rough up by people with massive valor and gear advantages, even with the new PvP system while barely being able to stay alive for 2-4 seconds against a burst heavy enemy.

Right now there are very few new pvpers entering the scene because many of the veterans are well established. The gear, damage, and survival between the low end of the spectrum and the high end for PvP players makes it virtually inaccessible to enter PvP.

Granted I know rift isn't a PvP focused game judging by the released pve/raid content vs. pvp. However, this doesn't mean the PvP can't be decent.

Right now its a precariously bad state because veterans are leaving and no new players enter pvp because they simply can't. They have no survival and without at least Prank 30+, they contribute very little to the team.

Attempting to enter pvp as a low prestige players is pure torture and hours of getting blown up by 1 shot abilities, short instakill skill chains, and other factors even while outfitting yourself with the best entry level gear and runes possible.

The existence of skill vs. skill or competition for new players is virtually non existent.

The Sheep:
    Low end prestige or PvE geared players, their skill level matters very little because without gear they can barely contribute. These players end up dying in maybe 1-5 hits.

The Wolves:
    Veteran players who are incredibly geared, have a ton of points into PVP PA, and utterly dominate the sheep with the occasionaly GOOD pvp skirmish against someone with their gear level. At this point in time, when its wolf vs. wolf, this is the only time skill really comes into play.

Many sheep cannot suffer the pvp imbalance and spending many hours dominated by wolves to stay in PvP. Like many said, not having valor gear and pushing yourself through the grind makes you just want to quit and go back to raiding. Many players just do PvE unseen dailies and try to get by, without ever attempting PvP until they have the gear level of a Wolf. Some just chain que warfronts and zerg into battle as sheep, dying like lemmings just to grind for the day where they might actually pose a threat to the enemy wolves.

This environment is very unhealthy for the game, new players, and people trying to access PvP. For one, it lacks the core values of a good pvp atmosphere: which is fun and competition.

The fun is taken away because new players stand no chance against wolves. The competition is non-existent because the majority of it is gear-based domination. This boils the fun and competition into frustration, in which people just quit PvP.

I know Trion is trying with PvP. Hopefully in the future we will see some updates that help return the fun and competition to PvE. I hope that some improvements to the atmosphere and its accessibility to new players will improve.

I see what your saying and I do feel a bit bad when a new 50 is hit by me for a massive amount of damage. This is though that the gear for PvP is quite easy to obtain, PvP rifts of Faeblight are going to be hard to draw anyone out to, I know. Best you can do is spec for survivability and try to find people to go with you, this game is not based on 1v1 fights by any means.

1000 valor might not seem alot but when you get the right spec it can be VERY annoying to kill. It's what I used to do in my lower ranks and I'm a warrior so yeah not much else a warrior can do except, tank or dps.

If your interested in running ay kind of PvP let me know I'm on Faeblight as Mordare, I haven't done PvP Rifts in awhile but I'm sure we can get people of their a**es to help out. I know more people that PvP as well and are in the process of gearing up so yeah, if you contact me I will try to get us all together to get something rolling.

Too bad, so sad?

As for gear, Trion gives you PvP dailies for those who want to get PvP gear w/o ever having to do a warfront or a pvp rift. Also, if you are doing a pvp rift or pvp generally, you want to go as a group. I bet you were alone when you were ambushed. Very few mages could survive going after three players, even if those players are unranked. If you have PvE gear, you should have hit harder.

As for warfronts, Trion has given newbies multiple opportunities to get geared up. Every weekend there is double favor/prestige warfront. Trion has also given you double prestige/favor vials. Trion has also given you ranked matches so you don't get rolled in warfronts. Sometimes high ranked players will get placed in these warfronts but it's rare. Even if you have high ranked opponents, you should have a high ranked teammate. Finally, Trion has boosted up valor stats for players who pvp in warfronts. This especially benefits newbies who have no pvp gear.

Trion has given many opportunities for players to rank up and perform well in warfronts. The grind to r40 sucks but Trion tries to make it less sucky. There's nothing wrong with the "entry vector" for new players into Rift PvP.

1974 (cinderburst)

The Sheep:

The Wolves:

People always make the mistake to assume that it's only the high-end scene that matters. The known 5v5 premades. The known PvP guilds. But honestly, I'd put more weight into those that are new. It's the fresh blood that keeps the PvP machine going.

With that said, there needs to be more in the way of the Bolster effect to offset the gear gap. People should absolutely have the advantage if they are r40 with max gear and spent significant amount of time to build up PvP PA's. But it shouldn't be a foregone conclusion from the moment the macro-spamming warrior (that's me!) decided to tab target to a 5k HP Mage. TTK on low rank players are so fast that everything, and I mean everything, goes out the window as far as any other considerations like CC, etc. If you really want to blow up that 5k HP player, you can. Doesn't matter if you want to over-extend into a clump of opponents. Or get CC'd to all hell while you're trying to barrel your way over there. That 5K HP player WILL die.

R40 going against an R1 should have a 20-25% advantage, in my opinion. They should be allowed a significantly larger margin of error, and can be punished if the other player doesn't make a single mistake.

The biggest problem with this is that the CC system is pretty much out the window. There aren't really mistakes to be made or mistakes to be capitalized on. Low rank players simply don't have a large enough utility box to level the playing field against high rank players, because the meta-game of Rift PvP is damage/burst vs. survivability/healing. Both of which the low ranks have neither.

Rift Walk is also an example of Trion's faulty approach to PvP. Back in Vanilla WoW, Warrior vs. Mage, it came down to Blink vs. Intercept. Charge and Frost Nova cancelled each other out in the beginning. Forcing the other to Blink or Intercept is what pretty much decided the duel/1v1. Warriors/Mages had a fair amount of tricks up their sleeve to try to tip the advantage in their favor and force the other to blow their move, and it was a bit of a chess match.

Rift Walk. It doesn't matter if I Rift Walk before a mage's Flicker, after a mage's Flicker, or anything. There is hardly a margin of error or a mistake to be made except for over-extending into a group of players.

Give low-rank players a bigger tool box. Give them the ability to force mistakes/capitalize on mistakes in a more cerebral PvP environment. I have no suggestions to how, but I'm not the one being paid the medium bucks to figure it out.
    r40 puzzlybox <rise of mayhem> whoo whoo
    r40 pizzabox wheeeeeeeee

puzzlebox + apoth = <3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL4L4Uv5rf0

Rift Chaser

First off if you PvE and wonder into a PvP event/zone/rift etc. and get blown up by someone who has all the PvP gear they can obtain I call that justice. That being said I realize new players are the key to refreshing the PvP population but the real problem is there is nothing for the max rank/geared players to do. So they either roll Twinks, Unsub, or a select few will just hang around and wait for fresh 50's to attempt a PvP dailies and PvP rifts so they can see if they can 1 shot them. Very few focused PvP players will start running PvE content to stay busy, so when a sheep wonders by believe me they will pounce every time just to get some thrill out of the game.

If Rift wants fresh 50's to PvP then give the guys that have put in their time to have their PvP advantage something to strive for so that others can feed into the PvP population and get gear. This is why Ember Isle should have been a made into a PvP RvR type zone instead of more lame PvE content, but I gues I'll just wait for GW2.

Sword of Telara Chancellor Gowron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Valnak View Post
    You do realize that with pvp dailies you can reach r40, have full t3 pvp gear including weapon, without ever killing another player?
    This is true but if you want to get to r40 any time soon you're still going to have to let yourself get farmed over and over.

I've seen some low rank players who seem to have some skill but there's really just no way to win when I do like at least twice as much damage to them as they do to me and have way more health, full pvp PA, etc.

Fair points raised, but overall how can they change it when PVP is largely gear dependant? Its going to come down to gear 99% of the time.

However, other than the soul hit with minimal cost to repair, is there really anything lost by being killed? When your at the beginning ranks you should expect to be killed quickly (i did and was not at all put off or suprised!), otherwise what is the point in higher ranks and higher gear?

I think the problem is caused by those that see their 50 level number as a guide to how good they should be in any respect to Rift (PVE, PVP, Raid etc....). Once a player gets that idea right out of their head, the more fun you start having in Rift

Rift Disciple

The Sheep:

The Wolves:

If you want PVP, you're in the wrong game. This game's PVP is dead.

The few who are left are those who don't know that yet, or those who are enjoying the little that's left (i.e either being a wolf at r40 or a wolf as a twink).

My solution to you? Think outside the Trion game box. GW2 has some great new ideas that may just be what you're looking for, give it a look. Most of us true PVPers are already making the switch when it comes out.

Nothing personal Trion ... you just stopped listening to us a looooong time ago. But thank you for the good run. I am going to enjoy wolfing for as long as it takes for GW2 to come out.

Rift Disciple

I agree, and the 10-19 bracket is particularly unpleasant due to the huge gear disparity. I think the solution is to implement fairly conservative stat caps, graduated by PvP bracket. These could progress or increase for higher level brackets. For example, in the 10-19 bracket you could receive a maximum 20% increase on attributes due to gear. This could be increased to 30% for the 20-29, and so on. Progressive stat caps would reduce the pressure to gear up, especially in the lower brackets. It would also solve various issues such as "grandfathered" lvl 50 epic runes on low level gear, or people who circulate their loaded 4/2 source engines among their low level alts.
    Last edited by nemesauce; 05-03-2012 at 07:48 AM.

Soulwalker

I think a lot of new players neglect consumables and runes, which makes a bad situation considerably worse.

Most rank 40s will be running guild perks, endurance vials, weapon enchants, speed boosts and have the rep for all of their BiS enchants.

Rank 12 weapons + powerstone + spikes have higher spell damage than the rank 36 ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Anmila View Post
    I would be pretty disapointed if you could stand an equal chance vs me in a fight when I have PvP gear that took me a long time to get.

I cant raid in my PvP gear, so why should you be able to PvP in your PvE gear?
    This is the heart of the biggest fallacy in the PVP world.
    This attitude is the core of all PvP evil, not just in Rift, but in all games with PvP action.
    You put in time, and expect that this should give you an advantage in PvP.
    That is a broken system.

The allure of PvP SHOULD NOT BE working towards gaining an unfair advantage over your competitors.

The allure of PvP SHOULD BE perfectly balanced competition, which is always challenging, regardless of gear.
    The allure of PvP SHOULD BE a scoreboard which is both balanced, accurate, and not subject to cheats.
    The allure of PvP SHOULD BE the ability to point at this scoreboard, and show how your name is on top.

If this was done in a system where everyone had the EXACT SAME STATS IN PVP regardless of gear, (and using tiering from level 1-49), then the ONLY factor separating everyone would be teamwork, strategy, positioning, and your own personal skill as a player.

A level playing field would mean that "bragging rights" really meant something.
    A level playing field would mean that Trion could actually balance classes, and have the system work.
    A level playing field would mean that competition would be tighter, more people would participate, queues would drop, and the "fun factor" would go through the roof.

This attitude of entitlement kills any hope of ever getting there.
    Putting in tons of time WILL get you an advantage... it will improve your PVP skill over other players.
    In a fair and balanced environment, that would be enough to ensure your success.

Grinding warfronts to buy a lopsided fight is not a recipe for success.
    Last edited by Kaelani; 05-03-2012 at 09:15 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast