+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Mercenary system needs a toggle -- NOW!

Rift Disciple

Default Mercenary system needs a toggle -- NOW!

I'm sure I'm not the only one that utterly hates playing as a mercenary for the other team. Whenever this happens to me (which seems to be 25% of all my WFs), I almost don't feel like helping the team win.

What you NEED to add is a TOGGLE. If I want to put myself available as a mercenary or if I'd rather put up with longer queues should be MY CHOICE.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Mortac View Post
    I'm sure I'm not the only one that utterly hates playing as a mercenary for the other team. Whenever this happens to me (which seems to be 25% of all my WFs), I almost don't feel like helping the team win.

What you NEED to add is a TOGGLE. If I want to put myself available as a mercenary or if I'd rather put up with longer queues should be MY CHOICE.
    No thanks.

aux

I rather like the feature. It's the only chance I have to win a warfront ^^;
    I'm so BORED

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Sariina View Post
    No thanks.
    No thanks? Care to motivate this comment? How can an OPTION be a bad thing?

I'm not saying if you toggle for mercenary availability you will be a mercenary every time. What I want is a toggle to NEVER be a mercenary if you don't want to. If you don't touch the toggle, it would work just as it does now.

He put now in all caps guys, this is serious.

But in all seriousness, Mortac, in case you've missed the 103435 other threads about this over the past few months, the summary of the argument against goes something like this: Mercenary decreases queue times by allowing anyone in the same bracket to be queued with anyone else in the same bracket. Even a few players opting out of the merc system could greatly mess with queue times at the wrong moment. It would essentially create an unreliable system.

And then it turns into a 20+ page thread about how queues work, what choice means, and the nerfing of viod bolt.

Ascendant

No thanks? Care to motivate this comment? How can an OPTION be a bad thing?

because as soon as people can opt out the systems not working anymore and it's not fair to people who will merc to help the que move along. they will end up merced all the time while the more selfish among us sit around refusing to merc so they can always have their own way. learn to compromise.

Players say oh but I don't mind if I have to wait 15 mins if I don't merc - you're not just making yourself wait you're everyone else wait too. stop being selfish and take your turn mercing like everyone else

unless Trion adds triple rewards for opting in to the merc system then go ahead and opt out

Rift Disciple

I often see players stand around doing nothing simply because they don't care about winning when playing on the wrong side. I often have this attitude myself. When I end up as a merc, the whole WF becomes boring to me, and I have almost no desire to win. If I could TOGGLE off the possibility for me to be a merc, you wouldn't have to see people like me screwing you over.

The default option for this toggle should of course be merc availability.

Hasn't trion already said that it's staying the way it is?
    Teddro - Warrior - Seastone

Synna - Rogue - Vigil

Synna Stonecove/Invalid Target for all those darkfall people

Please no toggle. Merc is one of the greatest things ever implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Valnak View Post
    Agree, mercenary feature is a very very good thing. Less time in WF que means more time PvPing. More time PvPing means more favor/prestige earned which leads to better gear, more PA experience, and more practice ... end result is a well equiped experienced player that is a solid asset to the team. Good Stuff!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Valnak View Post
    For some, perhaps, but for me personally it's making me lose interest in playing Rift altogether. I've done some PVP today and I've played on the wrong side in 4 out of 6 WFs. The last one I just quit and then logged out from the game. That's how much joy this brings me.

Quote Originally Posted by Riftologist View Post
    Agree, mercenary feature is a very very good thing. Less time in WF que means more time PvPing. More time PvPing means more favor/prestige earned which leads to better gear, more PA experience, and more practice ... end result is a well equiped experienced player that is a solid asset to the team. Good Stuff!
    Forum won't allow me to edit/add to my message and I'd like to add one other thing. If Mortac is on a Roleplaying Server, then I can understand why PvPing for his faction only is important to him. Maybe TRION could offer a toggle feature for RP servers only.

The sword cuts two ways. Some of use would prefer to queue merc only to at least win our daily. These apply to the poor souls (defiant or guardian) who happen to be on a shard that loses 90% of the time.

And let the bickering commence...

Seriously though. Allowing people to opt out, if done correctly, will not destroy Rift. Nor will the queue system come to a screeching halt.

But, with that said, Trion has already made it clear that the merc system isn't going anywhere, nor are they going to allow an opt out system. They have decided that one of the top priorities, if not the top priority, when it comes to WF's is maintaining the fastest queue times possible, regardless of what that means to the quality of play.

So, you're wasting your time arguing about this. There's no problem with people expressing their opinion, either pro or con, but let's not start the bickering and name calling again, shall we? All it does is make you look petty.

Quote Originally Posted by Meina View Post
    regardless of what that means to the quality of play.
    Pugs being put against syncing premades is some real quality gameplay.
    Teddro - Warrior - Seastone

Synna - Rogue - Vigil

Synna Stonecove/Invalid Target for all those darkfall people

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast