+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Mage is the long forgotten class of Rift

Rift Disciple

Default Mage is the long forgotten class of Rift

It's been so long since us mages have had any major changes to our broken souls. Most of the changes we've had over the last 4 patches have been just lessening a previous over-nerf on a particular skill. With all the work that's gone into Warriors and Rogues over the last few patches isn't it strange that noone there says 'Well since CC doesn't work anymore in PVP, and most of the mage souls rely on CC...maybe we should fix that or give them other benefits to counter it'. There has just been an overall lack of updates for mages that address our problems in PVP too, while other souls get buffed into oblivion, only pyro has a little love mostly from partially reverting some nerfs, I'm not feeling the love .
    Last edited by Caution; 04-30-2012 at 03:20 PM.

I feel the love every time I log in and do a WF, especially after I top the KB's and damage done charts
    it is not enough these days to question authority, you gotta speak with it too

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Voidmind View Post
    I feel the love every time I log in and do a WF, especially after I top the KB's and damage done charts
    You say on your own video in your sig 'I know I'm really bad and twitchy with the mouse...', so GJ for using Dark Fury/Inferno to finish off low health people. If you go as a mage against a good side or pre-made we have absolutely no versatility and provide less and less for our team each patch that comes out because everyone else is getting stronger and having more options to spec into. Lets look at rogues for instance, never-mind even going into different specs, they get better again, they can have many different ROLES. They can successfully play range dps, a pretty big variety of pure melee,have some ridiculous op tank/magic damage specs on-top of that and to a lesser extent support and flag capture.

I'm not asking that mage should have 3/4 different roles because evidentially mages aren't considered a priority. I'm just asking that mages can have four different successful specs where other classes have up to 4 different successful roles with sometimes multiple viable specs in these roles, I don't think its much to ask for.

Plane Touched

yep -- I rerolled a cleric alt because of the constant IMMUNE headache just trying to play a Mage...

It's really unsatisfying when your abilities don't actually work, heh. Meanwhile melee just gap close in your face.

I believe the following cumulative changes killed the fun of mages:

1) Immunity issues
    2) Loss of PVP soul (+ horrible mage PA replacement)
    3) Armor nerf to cloth (or buff to armor penetration/scaling whichever way it is worded)
    4) Valor scaling

These all absolutely hit the Mage class hardest which relied on control & burst.

My cleric alt rips it up and outheals anything, but for a' temporary alt' while Mage was being fixed it's now over Rank 25... (yes, don't ask, it outheals R40 chloros). Prior to 1.6 mages were kinda ok - with over 3 viable, enjoyable specs (pyro, stormcaller, chlorolock to name three).

So --- I would say since 1.6 Mages are flat out broken in PVP except for Dominator builds. It's a bit like Rogues forced to play Assassin, Clerics forced to play Warden and Warrior forced to play Paladin. ;)

Styl / Styli
    Last edited by styl; 04-30-2012 at 04:09 PM.

Nerf viod bolt
    Teddro - Warrior - Seastone

Synna - Rogue - Vigil

Synna Stonecove/Invalid Target for all those darkfall people

Quote Originally Posted by Robes View Post
    Nerf viod bolt
    Nerf Robes.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Rift Chaser

Here is my two cents. As a solo spec, or as a puggie in a WF, mage is fine. I do great with whichever spec I decide to play (chlorolock, 51 chloro, 51 pyro, stormpyro are my usuals). HOWEVER.... in competitive 5v5 battles (which you will run into alot when you group queue), mages are simply left behind. There is always a better choice than a mage in a competitive 5v5 group. I've been told in the past by mages that I consider better than me that it is possible for a mage to do something in 5v5, and then they tell me a laundry list of things they have to do JUST TO STAY ALIVE... meanwhile barely doing any dps. Any competent 5s team will target a mage first if they see one, I know, it happens to me all the time, especially by Skavok's group. The ONLY mage spec that is usually even considered for 5s is pyrodom, but ONLY for the squirrels. However, with CC flying around all over the place, and 2-time diminishing returns, and cleansing clerics, squirrels really don't last long. Plus, when 3 melee or 2 melee and an MM are on a pyrodom, he isn't doing much anyway.

I'm in one of the better pvp guilds in the game, and I feel like a burden to any 5s group that takes me when we end up facing another good premade. Oh, and I NEVER see any good premades that have mages in them lol. Yes I said it Menaace. Mages just don't compare. IF you wish to disagree, I need to see video proof of you beating Skavok's premade. Yes mages can do great in 5s vs other crap premades... but when you are up against something top notch like Skavok, its straight lulz. Maybe I'm the common denominator of fail, but pretty much everyone in my guild agrees that mages just don't have much of a place in a competitive 5s group.
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

Rhetoricx (someone stole my name on Seastone)
    <Unreal>
    I wish Rift had PVP in it...

Quote Originally Posted by Rhetoric View Post
    Here is my two cents. As a solo spec, or as a puggie in a WF, mage is fine. I do great with whichever spec I decide to play (chlorolock, 51 chloro, 51 pyro, stormpyro are my usuals). HOWEVER.... in competitive 5v5 battles (which you will run into alot when you group queue), mages are simply left behind. There is always a better choice than a mage in a competitive 5v5 group. I've been told in the past by mages that I consider better than me that it is possible for a mage to do something in 5v5, and then they tell me a laundry list of things they have to do JUST TO STAY ALIVE... meanwhile barely doing any dps. Any competent 5s team will target a mage first if they see one, I know, it happens to me all the time, especially by Skavok's group. The ONLY mage spec that is usually even considered for 5s is pyrodom, but ONLY for the squirrels. However, with CC flying around all over the place, and 2-time diminishing returns, and cleansing clerics, squirrels really don't last long. Plus, when 3 melee or 2 melee and an MM are on a pyrodom, he isn't doing much anyway.

I'm in one of the better pvp guilds in the game, and I feel like a burden to any 5s group that takes me when we end up facing another good premade. Oh, and I NEVER see any good premades that have mages in them lol. Yes I said it Menaace. Mages just don't compare. IF you wish to disagree, I need to see video proof of you beating Skavok's premade. Yes mages can do great in 5s vs other crap premades... but when you are up against something top notch like Skavok, its straight lulz. Maybe I'm the common denominator of fail, but pretty much everyone in my guild agrees that mages just don't have much of a place in a competitive 5s group.
    I've been playing my warr over the last, week and I have to admit that when ever I see a mage I lick my lips. I don't think your dps needs an increase, but you do need better survivability. I think survivability right across the board needs adjusting (Rs/MM rogues aside) IMO it stems from the DR system.

You mages are fine. I don't want to hear any grief you guys dps, heal, mana drain, and tank in the side LOL

Covergirl Diamond
    <-Prophecy->
    Back in Action
    RIP Junlar the Great Cleric. I will cherish our friendship and bond for all eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion333 View Post
    You mages are fine. I don't want to hear any grief you guys dps, heal, mana drain, and tank in the side LOL
    we dont believe this anymore than we believe youre a female

dps is fine so long as youre not being hit by anything and do not have to move at all and are running the single spec left for us to be competitive
    survival is a foreign word to cloth
    Last edited by Pixel Monkey; 04-30-2012 at 08:04 PM.
    who took my names!

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Nakotix View Post
    I've been playing my warr over the last, week and I have to admit that when ever I see a mage I lick my lips. I don't think your dps needs an increase, but you do need better survivability. I think survivability right across the board needs adjusting (Rs/MM rogues aside) IMO it stems from the DR system.
    I mean, in a 1v1 or when I'm using my survive specs in pug WFs, I survive like a champ. But those specs are simply not viable in competitive 5s. They have almost zero burst and are very weak vs wardens.
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

Rhetoricx (someone stole my name on Seastone)
    <Unreal>
    I wish Rift had PVP in it...

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Caution View Post
    It's been so long since us mages have had any major changes to our broken souls.
    Be careful what you wish for ... Trion nerfed clerics by 40%. At this point maybe it's a blessing the nerf bullies forgot about you.

Plane Walker

Honestly everyone dies to Skavok, even himself. I would know, I raid with him.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Robes View Post
    Nerf viod bolt
    lol still funny after all this time

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Monkey View Post
    we dont believe this anymore than we believe youre a female

dps is fine so long as youre not being hit by anything and do not have to move at all and are running the single spec left for us to be competitive
    survival is a foreign word to cloth
    Now now GF, no need to get your panties in a bundle. Are you a man or muppet?

Cloth is the new heavy armor.

Covergirl Diamond
    <-Prophecy->
    Back in Action
    RIP Junlar the Great Cleric. I will cherish our friendship and bond for all eternity.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast