+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: PvP Mercenaries

Default PvP Mercenaries

I came home to Rift about half way through last month.

I'm a big PvP-er, I have about 14 or 15 characters in various brackets, and a majority above what used to be P6.

Now, I'm all for the Mercenaries dealio, in a sense. I don't think it works for PvP... maybe with PvE... but not PvP. I rolled specific factions in specific brackets because I know which team I want to play for, and when. Which is why I have 2 mages, 2 clerics, 2 warriors and 2 rogues, one on each faction - at least.

(I actually have 4 mages. :/ I'm an altoholic I guess.)

Anyway, this Mercs stuff, whilst a genuinely stallion effort to increase your time pvp-ing, instead of queuing, is still breaking the game. A majority of people won't pvp against their faction because their guildies are on the correct faction, and it's just.. well, annoying.

I don't mind losing a warfront when it's down to a team from my own faction being friggin' terrible at PvP. But when I'm a Defiant, and Guardian are losing - or vice versa... man... I hate that.

All Mercenaries has done for me, is make me actually go out in to the field and search for the people on the opposite faction I was fighting for, then kill them over and over and over and over... wasting my time really. Just in the hopes that they'd end up getting a bit better.

Rant over, I guess.

Trion, if you're going to keep this... then I think an option to turn it off should be in the interface options... because really - I'd rather wait 10 minutes for a good battle, rather than get straight in and spend 15 minutes in a bad one, as a result of the opposite faction's inability to PvP.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Jawsnap View Post
    I came home to Rift about half way through last month.

I'm a big PvP-er, I have about 14 or 15 characters in various brackets, and a majority above what used to be P6.

Now, I'm all for the Mercenaries dealio, in a sense. I don't think it works for PvP... maybe with PvE... but not PvP. I rolled specific factions in specific brackets because I know which team I want to play for, and when. Which is why I have 2 mages, 2 clerics, 2 warriors and 2 rogues, one on each faction - at least.

(I actually have 4 mages. :/ I'm an altoholic I guess.)

Anyway, this Mercs stuff, whilst a genuinely stallion effort to increase your time pvp-ing, instead of queuing, is still breaking the game. A majority of people won't pvp against their faction because their guildies are on the correct faction, and it's just.. well, annoying.

I don't mind losing a warfront when it's down to a team from my own faction being friggin' terrible at PvP. But when I'm a Defiant, and Guardian are losing - or vice versa... man... I hate that.

All Mercenaries has done for me, is make me actually go out in to the field and search for the people on the opposite faction I was fighting for, then kill them over and over and over and over... wasting my time really. Just in the hopes that they'd end up getting a bit better.

Rant over, I guess.

Trion, if you're going to keep this... then I think an option to turn it off should be in the interface options... because really - I'd rather wait 10 minutes for a good battle, rather than get straight in and spend 15 minutes in a bad one, as a result of the opposite faction's inability to PvP.

Another guy who rolled Defiant twinks at 30 cause he wants the easy wins.

I like the merc system. If players decide to perpetuate the PVP inbalance for one faction in the pre50 WFs, that's their choice ...

But when all of the other team rage quits, and they are left with no one else to fight but themselves (as mercs), save us the QQ ... we have other things Trion needs to fix.

I'm sorry but your a very sad person. I can't believe people are still using the argument "is still breaking the game" because that is to put it bluntly a completely lie. There is nothing game breaking about the system other then the mindless people playing behind their characters.

If pride is really getting in the way of having fun a in a pvp match then those people need to go to a freakin' RP server. IT'S PVP now its BLUE vs RED don't over think it, just makes you look dumb. =/
    Last edited by LOveRH; 04-30-2012 at 07:03 AM.

i think a stronger case can be made that its the best thing to happen for pvp in this game--ever
    1. Ruule --------50--r50-warrior-(g)
    2. Necrodemis--50--r41-mage-(g)
    3. Greywind-----50--r45-rouge-(g)
    4. Cavalon-------50--r43-cleric-(g)
    5. Cruule---------50-----warrior-(d)

I have a spec made for when I'm a mercenary. It's the worst possible spec I could come up with that is still semi functional. I then just run around and find people to kill as long as they're not to close to an objective. I also make sure to loot everything. Good times pissing people off.
    Even free cost too much now

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Credo View Post
    I have a spec made for when I'm a mercenary. It's the worst possible spec I could come up with that is still semi functional. I then just run around and find people to kill as long as they're not to close to an objective. I also make sure to loot everything. Good times pissing people off.
    How's life treating teenage outcasts full of angst these days?

thats sir is odd behavior-
    guess what,...its all fake,.....the only difference between defiant and guardian is one is blue and the other is red.
    i think that was the main issue in gnomeo and juliet and my 5 year old pointed that out to me.

I still can't understand how some can't grasp the concept (and in some cases get downright belligerent) that some people buy a 2 faction fantasy MMORPG because they like the concept of a 2 faction fantasy MMORPG and / or the RPG aspect of said MMORPG.

I also can't understand why some people buy a 2 faction MMORPG, knowing full well what a 2 faction MMORPG is all about, and then get bent out of shape because the 2 faction system bites them on the ***. I swear some people expected to get an FPS style game when they bought this game.

Here's a tip for when you buy your next MMO. If it's a 2 faction MMO and if you're primary focus is going to be PvP, do not roll a toon on the badass faction. Almost every PvP'er rolls a badass faction toon (although lore and RP'ing has nothing to do with it, so they claim), meaning that faction will be overpopulated with PvP'ers and will suffer from all the problems that leads to. I avoided all the BS, simply by rolling a guardian.

Quote Originally Posted by Meina View Post
    I still can't understand how some can't grasp the concept (and in some cases get downright belligerent) that some people buy a 2 faction fantasy MMORPG because they like the concept of a 2 faction fantasy MMORPG and / or the RPG aspect of said MMORPG.

I also can't understand why some people buy a 2 faction MMORPG, knowing full well what a 2 faction MMORPG is all about, and then get bent out of shape because the 2 faction system bites them on the ***. I swear some people expected to get an FPS style game when they bought this game.

Here's a tip for when you buy your next MMO. If it's a 2 faction MMO and if you're primary focus is going to be PvP, do not roll a toon on the badass faction. Almost every PvP'er rolls a badass faction toon (although lore and RP'ing has nothing to do with it, so they claim), meaning that faction will be overpopulated with PvP'ers and will suffer from all the problems that leads to. I avoided all the BS, simply by rolling a guardian.
    because some people play both sides and are not childishly devoted to one side,..and dont want to wait 20 mins for a 3 min WF.

some people can deal with life. and dont get all bent out of shape over what color they are wearing.
    i hope they do put in the option for turning off mercs.
    but then players will just complain that they dont want to attack players from their own faction-lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
    because some people play both sides and are not childishly devoted to one side,..and dont want to wait 20 mins for a 3 min WF.

some people can deal with life. and dont get all bent out of shape over what color they are wearing.
    but then players will just complain that they dont want to attack players from their own faction-lol
    Funny I've never had to wait more than 3 minutes for a warfront...

Funny I've never had to wait more than 3 minutes for a warfront...
    Very rarely did I ever have to wait more than 5 minutes, which I could live with.

I'm not claiming that others never had a problem, but there were other ways to deal with faction imbalances causing long queue times, without spitting on the story line that the game is based on.

Quote Originally Posted by Meina View Post
    Very rarely did I ever have to wait more than 5 minutes, which I could live with.

I'm not claiming that others never had a problem, but there were other ways to deal with faction imbalances causing long queue times, without spitting on the story line that the game is based on.
    Or forcing us to fight on the side of the people that make it a pain in the *** to leave Sanctum. It took me 3 months to get credit for an invasion after Freeholme was closed. What part of me would want to fight along side the 30 people that just camped me for half an hour calling me a ***?

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post

The heart of the question still stands.

Why did you come into a 2 faction based game, probably knowing full well what that entails, and expect anything other than a 2 faction game, along with the problems that a 2 faction game has.
    And this made no sense. This is exactly what people are claiming now. Adding an option would stop these complaints, not create them.

Rift Chaser

There are some problems with the merc system. First off players should be able to decline the option to be que'd as a mercenary. This would allow those that want to play on their factions team to do so and would allow those who just want fast queue times to get exactly that. Secondly, when queing as a group the system is fail. I've waited indefinitely for que's simply because others were never que'ing as groups. So then we que individually and we all get say codex and we take it only to have our guild split on sides. Although this is fun at times to challenge each other, the reason I'm que'n with others is so that I will play alongside them and work together to kill others. If we were given the ability to choose to not merc then we would know if we all got a pop at the same time of the same WF we would be on the same team.
    Last edited by Jabbawockee; 04-30-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Or forcing us to fight on the side of the people that make it a pain in the *** to leave Sanctum. It took me 3 months to get credit for an invasion after Freeholme was closed. What part of me would want to fight along side the 30 people that just camped me for half an hour calling me a ***?
    This brings up another drawback to the merc system.

Yes, some server populations were heavily skewed towards one faction before the merc system was introduced. The one enticement for not rolling that faction was that they faced longer queue times. Now, that drawback has been removed. I expect faction imbalances to become even more skewed as time goes on because there will be no drawback to rolling "the" PvP faction.

It just might get to the point where one faction makes up 90+% of the population on any given server, especially PvP servers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast