+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: PvP Mercenaries

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Meina View Post
    This brings up another drawback to the merc system.

Yes, some server populations were heavily skewed towards one faction before the merc system was introduced. The one enticement for not rolling that faction was that they faced longer queue times. Now, that drawback has been removed. I expect faction imbalances to become even more skewed as time goes on because there will be no drawback to rolling "the" PvP faction.

It just might get to the point where one faction makes up 90+% of the population on any given server, especially PvP servers.
    Another reason why reward driven objective based open world PvP will never be put into this game.

People who pug warfronts and then complain that they have to play alongside players they don't know are idiots. The only thing I see wrong with the merc system is the mentality of people like the OP of this thread. A game is a game ... if you can't get out there and enjoy it for it's own sake you shouldn't be playing it. If I go to the local basketball court for a pickup game the only thing that ruins it for me are the people who stand around and pout because they didn't get on the team they wanted to.

For god's sake ... get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimt View Post
    People who pug warfronts and then complain that they have to play alongside players they don't know are idiots. The only thing I see wrong with the merc system is the mentality of people like the OP of this thread. A game is a game ... if you can't get out there and enjoy it for it's own sake you shouldn't be playing it. If I go to the local basketball court for a pickup game the only thing that ruins it for me are the people who stand around and pout because they didn't get on the team they wanted to.

Translation:
    MY OPINION IS THE ONLY ONE THAT MATTERS! EVERYONE SHOULD THINK AS I DO!
    Even free cost too much now

Quote Originally Posted by Credo View Post
    Translation:
    You left out the "...OR THEY'RE IDIOTS!" part.
    Last edited by Meina; 04-30-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Another merc thread? Good lord why?

It's a done deal. Mercs are here to stay. There will be no opt out. For anyone. Ever. Trion said so!

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Default It's not an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Credo View Post
    Translation:
    PUGS are by definition made up of random players, and unless you profess to know everyone in your battlegroup you're going to be playing alongside people you don't know most of the time. I would have thought that was self-evident to anyone not an idiot.

PUGS are by definition made up of random players, and unless you profess to know everyone in your battlegroup you're going to be playing alongside people you don't know most of the time. I would have thought that was self-evident to anyone not an idiot.
    There's that word again...

Champion

Mercs are great, surely you'd relish the challenge to test yourself against your own guildies and faction members?

Maybe if they let you define a special merc identity or something so your name/character model is changed, the RPers could get over themselves...
    Karlis - Dayblind, formerly (and always in my heart) Briarcliff

Hugs!

I have 2 level 50 warriors - dedication to the cause.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Karlis View Post
    Mercs are great, surely you'd relish the challenge to test yourself against your own guildies and faction members?

Maybe if they let you define a special merc identity or something so your name/character model is changed, the RPers could get over themselves...
    If you want to challenge YOURSELF against YOUR guilders and faction members, YOU can challenge them for a duel.

And don't worry about that Rift developers would ever change anything now,

even if the majority of players would leave.

After all this time they wont let the customers see that the merc system without a opt out was a big mistake.

So enjoy while it lasts.

jca
    Rift Chaser

I wasn't keen on the idea when it was first implemented, but now, I have to say I love the merc system. In my battlegroup Defiants dominate most of the time. I find it a challenge when I get merc'd to try to make a difference for the underdog team.

Soulwalker

I agree - make it optional.
    Zadkiel, P40 Cleric

Quote Originally Posted by Costs View Post
    Another guy who rolled Defiant twinks at 30 cause he wants the easy wins
    I have characters in all brackets at various different levels, and only two that are twinks. One for Guardian and one for Defiant. I don't like easy wins, I like a challenge, but I'd like the challenge to be from the opposite faction.

Quote Originally Posted by LOveRH View Post
    I'm sorry but your a very sad person. I can't believe people are still using the argument "is still breaking the game" because that is to put it bluntly a completely lie. There is nothing game breaking about the system other then the mindless people playing behind their characters.

If pride is really getting in the way of having fun a in a pvp match then those people need to go to a freakin' RP server. IT'S PVP now its BLUE vs RED don't over think it, just makes you look dumb. =/
    Stop talking, ******. "The game is broken" is a factual opinion on the state of a game. Granted - whilst it's a slightly over exaggerated term - when people (Like me) say it - it means, for us - we hate it and it breaks a perfectly good game. It's opinion based.

Also, I PVP all the time. I mean... all my gameplay time is spent on PvP. An RP shard wouldn't suit me because people on said shard, are not flagged for PvP - and I literally open up on everyone I see, even if I can clearly see they far out gear me.

I still can't understand how some can't grasp the concept (and in some cases get downright belligerent) that some people buy a 2 faction fantasy MMORPG because they like the concept of a 2 faction fantasy MMORPG and / or the RPG aspect of said MMORPG.

I also can't understand why some people buy a 2 faction MMORPG, knowing full well what a 2 faction MMORPG is all about, and then get bent out of shape because the 2 faction system bites them on the ***. I swear some people expected to get an FPS style game when they bought this game.
    I think the idea of a 2 faction game is that almost all, if not all as an absolute, 2 faction MMO's, have had the 2 factions at war, of some sort. I like to play both factions of any MMO, but I like the split down the middle.

If I could, I'd have the opposite faction speak in a none-understandable language, like World of Warcraft - because the separation between the two factions should be greater, in my honest opinion.

The heart of the question still stands.

Why did you come into a 2 faction based game, probably knowing full well what that entails, and expect anything other than a 2 faction game, along with the problems that a 2 faction game has.

And this made no sense. This is exactly what people are claiming now. Adding an option would stop these complaints, not create them.
    Now I'm not sure whether you were agreeing with my opening post, or disagreeing with it...

Right, so when you get on the court and a team may be lacking in players - you'll send one of your guys over there to play for them, yeah? Nah. I didn't think so.

I'm not saying, remove the Mercs system, but I like to PvP on the faction I play for. Which in this case - is both, but only because I have characters on both factions. What I'm saying is, add an option for people who experience long queues, to Opt in for the mercenaries system, whilst letting others who don't give a flying donkeys arsehole about an extra 5 minutes in the queue.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlice View Post
    Another merc thread? Good lord why?

It's a done deal. Mercs are here to stay. There will be no opt out. For anyone. Ever. Trion said so!
    Nobody cares what Trion said - they say one thing and do another quite frequently. If enough people complain about it - they'll change it. Sorry, but your over-anticipated guessing based on "said so's" doesn't count as a valid opinion. You may withdraw it if you wish, and I'll refrain from taking the p!ss out of misspelling rogue and adding a mascara brush to the picture to justify your mistake on what was probably your first/main character - which is probably also a Rouge. Sorry, Rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikisen View Post
    I agree - make it optional.
    Finally, someone with sense, you sir - win the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawsnap View Post
    I have characters in all brackets at various different levels, and only two that are twinks. One for Guardian and one for Defiant. I don't like easy wins, I like a challenge, but I'd like the challenge to be from the opposite faction.

Stop talking, ******. "The game is broken" is a factual opinion on the state of a game. Granted - whilst it's a slightly over exaggerated term - when people (Like me) say it - it means, for us - we hate it and it breaks a perfectly good game. It's opinion based.

Also, I PVP all the time. I mean... all my gameplay time is spent on PvP. An RP shard wouldn't suit me because people on said shard, are not flagged for PvP - and I literally open up on everyone I see, even if I can clearly see they far out gear me.

I think the idea of a 2 faction game is that almost all, if not all as an absolute, 2 faction MMO's, have had the 2 factions at war, of some sort. I like to play both factions of any MMO, but I like the split down the middle.

If I could, I'd have the opposite faction speak in a none-understandable language, like World of Warcraft - because the separation between the two factions should be greater, in my honest opinion.

Now I'm not sure whether you were agreeing with my opening post, or disagreeing with it...

Right, so when you get on the court and a team may be lacking in players - you'll send one of your guys over there to play for them, yeah? Nah. I didn't think so.

I'm not saying, remove the Mercs system, but I like to PvP on the faction I play for. Which in this case - is both, but only because I have characters on both factions. What I'm saying is, add an option for people who experience long queues, to Opt in for the mercenaries system, whilst letting others who don't give a flying donkeys arsehole about an extra 5 minutes in the queue.

Nobody cares what Trion said - they say one thing and do another quite frequently. If enough people complain about it - they'll change it. Sorry, but your over-anticipated guessing based on "said so's" doesn't count as a valid opinion. You may withdraw it if you wish, and I'll refrain from taking the p!ss out of misspelling rogue and adding a mascara brush to the picture to justify your mistake on what was probably your first/main character - which is probably also a Rouge. Sorry, Rogue.

I spelt rogue incorrectly in my sig? Whatever will I tell the kids?

The mis-spelling is intentional btw. But thanks for your concern.

And yes you're correct, yours is the only opinion that matters.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Quote Originally Posted by Jawsnap View Post
    This kind of reminds me of when my kids were little; they would ask "mom can we have some candy?" when we went to the store and I'd say "nope"

But the whole time we were in the store, they would keep asking for candy..and my answer was always the same. "nope"

Also, Charlice didn't "add the mascara brush to cover up a spelling mistake." It's always been there.

Us women love our makeup!
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
    i think a stronger case can be made that its the best thing to happen for pvp in this game--ever
    Seconding this. It breaks up the premading syncques pretty badly. It's also a lot of fun to face your own guildmates and smash/getsmashed by them.

Also, at lower levels in the Seastone WF cluster, there are prettymuch no Guardian xp capped characters cheesing compared to the amount that Defiants have. I have no idea why. But merc breaks them up and allows Guardians to sometimes win.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast