+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Now that pvp is balanced, where do you want to see it go from here?

Default Now that pvp is balanced, where do you want to see it go from here?

Everyone wants more to do in OpenWorld (OW).
    Everyone wants more warfronts.
    Everyone wants more pvp gear now that ID gear (+crafted) destroys R40.

But what else would make it more fun?
    Or, what specifically in those three things will branch out of a new grind 'til boredom outcome?

OW has the biggest opportunity to have sustained interest.
    You can do this with repeatable quests/ take-overs/ leaderboard ish, etc.
    Interactive control points and so forth.

Matchmaking system can create queues based on leaderboard stats.

Award pvp bonuses by rank that are temporary and wear off immediately if you a) die, b) lose rank.

Brainstorm away. Think outside the box. Don't flame current game setup. Don't QQ about the title, it wasn't serious.
    Last edited by Testercules; 04-27-2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: typo
    Wqrriqr: 207850 Defiants decapitated

Old Videos: PVP1 & PVP2
    0/11 HK 1/1 GW2

Champion

ROFL @ Balanced!

Now that the US economy is healthy.....
    Now that there's world peace....
    Now that the human race has achieved enlightenment....
    Formerly Scarecrowe... now Skullcluck. I know, I need to L2P, thanks. Save your breath.
    If you want a healer so bad why don't you roll one up?

*turns 360 and walks away*

0/11 HK 1/1 GW2

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Testercules View Post
    *turns 360 and walks away*
    Is ... that ... even ... possible? O.o

... I think you just walked right into me!
    Last edited by Bhrawn; 04-27-2012 at 09:56 AM.

In all honesty, I rather like Rift's PvP system. I've found most people that complain about it fall into one of the following categories:
    1. They don't actually like PvP, and have never enjoyed it in any game.
    2. They don't actually dislike Rift's PvP, but all their friends complain about how horrible and unbalanced it is, and they lack the ability to form and/or articulate their own thoughts and feelings on the subject.
    3. PvP is not their primary game, and they expect to be able to keep up with players who PvP all day without doing the work
    4. They want PvP to be more "balanced", but what they really want is PvP more balanced in their favor. They want to win more than they lose.

As with anything, there's always room for improvements. My suggestions can be found here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhrawn View Post
    Is ... that ... even ... possible? O.o

... I think you just walked right into me!
    It's what happens to people who zerg post based on a title, without reading the last line of the OP.

0/11 HK 1/1 GW2

Quote Originally Posted by efitall View Post
    In all honesty, I rather like Rift's PvP system.
    In my case, I'm posting about where to go from now simply because it is boring.

0/11 HK 1/1 GW2

- A "queue for ranked" button that guarantees you'll be put into an appropriately ranked match.
    - Flattening of the gear curve when a new PvP set is introduced. New players should get cut some slack, especially now that lowbie warfronts are full of twinks.
    - EI adventures tuned to be extra-rewarding on PvP servers, where they can be crashed by people interested in world PvP.
    - At least 2 new warfronts and the replacement of normal Whitefall with Escalation Whitefall.

My opinion is that this game's PvP isn't serious business and probably never will be.

Majn
    Be healed and be well.

Quote Originally Posted by Testercules View Post
    Everyone wants more to do in OpenWorld (OW).
    Everyone wants more warfronts.
    Everyone wants more pvp gear now that ID gear (+crafted) destroys R40.

But what else would make it more fun?
    Or, what specifically in those three things will branch out of a new grind 'til boredom outcome?

OW has the biggest opportunity to have sustained interest.
    You can do this with repeatable quests/ take-overs/ leaderboard ish, etc.
    Interactive control points and so forth.

Matchmaking system can create queues based on leaderboard stats.

Award pvp bonuses by rank that are temporary and wear off immediately if you a) die, b) lose rank.

Brainstorm away. Think outside the box. Don't flame current game setup. Don't QQ about the title, it wasn't serious.
    Now that a warrior can 3-shot a cleric, PvP is balanced?

In a balanced game, a cleric should be able to solo heal against anyone 1v1, because that's his only job is to heal. If he can't heal through your damage all things being equal, then it's unbalanced. People should have to 1.3 or 1.5 v 1 to down a healer. That's one guy full dps and another guy half dps. That way it promotes teamwork to kill healers, not button mashing.

Besides that being the way to give healers clout, DPS are balanced when each can kill each other 1v1 easily with the winning factors based on who's CD's/reactive abilities are up, and who is more talented of a player. And on that note, DPS was balanced between mages and rogues, but warriors were under par slightly, now they are over par, and unbalanced in that any warrior can beat any mage 1v1 in almost all circumstances no matter the mage build, unless I blow all my CD's including heat wave on you, you will kill me.

Rift's PvP was balanced in 1.7, and warriors just needed a boost to add to the DPS to make clerics die faster, not giving them a mega boost AND reducing heals... that was a bad choice. In 1.7, where it took two people to kill a healer, that was the way it should be. The 5v5's were challenging and to win was to have to time and coordinate 2-3 cooldowns at once with your teammates which made victory less button mashing and gear, and more who had the better teamwork. MMAC never lost to any one particular 5-man consistently, and the other top 5-mans always put on very good shows and would beat us as much as we'd beat them. Victory would be random based on who outsmarted who on a particular choice or two, not "who has more warriors"

You want to know what the ideal 1.8 team is now?

Chloro w/synth, blight on focus target
    MM to eradicate
    3 Warriors.

That smashed through a team I was on which was 2 clerics, 2 chloro's and a warrior like we were made of tissue paper. Clerics have no reason to play this game anymore, and they aren't

Oh, and your comment on where do you want to see PvP go from here? To GW2. In about 45 minutes. Have fun in Rift you can 3-shot bads all day long. It's time for warriors to shine, but they will be the only star left in a vast emptiness of space of what could have been the greatest PvP game ever made, if the content supported it.

#1 in Diamond, and bored with this game's zero PvP content
    -Menaace (GM of MMAC), NA's first Defiant annihilator in wPvP
    Menaace - P50 Mage, Annihilator, Executioner, <MMAC> Guild Leader
    Talent has no gearscore
    MMAC vs Vinco 20v20
    Menaace 1.7, 5-Spec, PvP VIDEO
    MMAC vs TFS 10v10's Episode 1 (with commentary)

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Menaace View Post

In a balanced game, a cleric should be able to solo heal against anyone 1v1, because that's his only job is to heal. If he can't heal through your damage all things being equal, then it's unbalanced. People should have to 1.3 or 1.5 v 1 to down a healer. That's one guy full dps and another guy half dps. That way it promotes teamwork to kill healers, not button mashing.

Besides that being the way to give healers clout, DPS are balanced when each can kill each other 1v1 easily with the winning factors based on who's CD's/reactive abilities are up, and who is more talented of a player. And on that note, DPS was balanced between mages and rogues, but warriors were under par slightly, now they are over par, and unbalanced in that any warrior can beat any mage 1v1 in almost all circumstances no matter the mage build, unless I blow all my CD's including heat wave on you, you will kill me.

Rift's PvP was balanced in 1.7, and warriors just needed a boost to add to the DPS to make clerics die faster, not giving them a mega boost AND reducing heals... that was a bad choice. In 1.7, where it took two people to kill a healer, that was the way it should be. The 5v5's were challenging and to win was to have to time and coordinate 2-3 cooldowns at once with your teammates which made victory less button mashing and gear, and more who had the better teamwork. MMAC never lost to any one particular 5-man consistently, and the other top 5-mans always put on very good shows and would beat us as much as we'd beat them. Victory would be random based on who outsmarted who on a particular choice or two, not "who has more warriors"

You want to know what the ideal 1.8 team is now?

Chloro w/synth, blight on focus target
    MM to eradicate
    3 Warriors.

That smashed through a team I was on which was 2 clerics, 2 chloro's and a warrior like we were made of tissue paper. Clerics have no reason to play this game anymore, and they aren't

Oh, and your comment on where do you want to see PvP go from here? To GW2. In about 45 minutes. Have fun in Rift you can 3-shot bads all day long. It's time for warriors to shine, but they will be the only star left in a vast emptiness of space of what could have been the greatest PvP game ever made, if the content supported it.

Brb writing essay based on topic sentence because I'm too stupid to read the last line of the OP that I just quoted.

pls go

I still like Warhammers take on RvR, which is based in a large PvP zone with a primary objective like a keep and 3 or 4 secondary objectives that provides buffs to the team that controls them.

We'd probably have to instance these in this game though to allow us to control team sizes (don't want to over tax the serves), keep the team sizes even and to allow us to pull players from multiple servers if need be.

The criteria for winning would be taking the keep or defending it for X amount of time (I'd start with a minimum of 30 minutes) depending on which side you're on. Or, if you don't like timers, you can base a defensive win on a "Kill X number of attackers" system. There wouldn't be any kind of point system, you must either take or defend the keep.

Add in some siege weapons, maybe some NPC's, a power up or two and, voila, you have a cool, epic battle on your hands.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by MannSeastone View Post
    - A "queue for ranked" button that guarantees you'll be put into an appropriately ranked match.
    I love this idea, and it is 100% nonviable. Rift doesn't have the raw pvp population to make this work. Queue times would grow completely out of control.

I know the alternative balancing mechanic is untennable to some folks, but Trion needs to seriously consider a two-way stat adjustment for every match. If you're a P40 running around with P20s, it makes all the sense in the world to nerf you and buff them until you're all within ~20% of each other, stat-wise. You'd obviously still have a sizable advantage, but you wouldn't be some unstoppable murder god. Establish an acceptable "range" based on the average player rank in a match and auto-adjust stats accordingly.

- Flattening of the gear curve when a new PvP set is introduced. New players should get cut some slack, especially now that lowbie warfronts are full of twinks.
    I'll go you one better; I think, with the release of each new tier of pvp gear, the previous lowest rung on the ladder should graduate (or flunk down to?) crafted status. They sorta missed this the last time they "organized" all the gear. Trion wanted three distinct tiers for pve and pvp, so they just eliminated the old P1/2 gear. What they should have done was turn it into crafted sets. I mean isn't crafted gear how a lot of people get started on pve content? Why not mirror that for pvp. Then you just consistently funnel all of the gear down to crafted status as you introduce new tiers. This keeps entry-level bearable and provides for professions with a legitimate gold sink.

My opinion is that this game's PvP isn't serious business and probably never will be.
    Sad truth. The soul system and the raw mechanics (control, weight, feel, etc.) are perfectly tantalizing, but the fact that 1.8 warriors made it all the way to live, and that they haven't been hotfixed right away, is a pretty clear indicator that pvp is way down the list for Trion.

Quote Originally Posted by Menaace View Post

In a balanced game...

Microwavable Macaroni And Cheese strikes again.

0/11 HK 1/1 GW2

Quote Originally Posted by handerhank View Post
    I'll go you one better; I think, with the release of each new tier of pvp gear, the previous lowest rung on the ladder should graduate (or flunk down to?) crafted status. They sorta missed this the last time they "organized" all the gear. Trion wanted three distinct tiers for pve and pvp, so they just eliminated the old P1/2 gear. What they should have done was turn it into crafted sets. I mean isn't crafted gear how a lot of people get started on pve content? Why not mirror that for pvp. Then you just consistently funnel all of the gear down to crafted status as you introduce new tiers. This keeps entry-level bearable and provides for professions with a legitimate gold sink.
    I really like this idea, it makes a lot of sense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast