+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: WF Merc Twink Balancing Request

  1. #1
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    28

    Default WF Merc Twink Balancing Request

    Hold on before everyone flips the F out. I play a twink, among other toons, and there are matches when all twinks seem to be on one side. It would be nice if there was programming logic in however people are chosen to play each side (merc'ed or otherwise), to try and place an even number of twinks on each side; base it on gear somehow, etc.... to help balance them out somewhat.

    The only way to remove this kind of issue would be to remove Twinking or create a Twink WF, but I don't think Trion is going to do that. Given that fact, at least try to balance the WF's, so it's not a slaughterhouse.
    Last edited by evilgrinners; 04-26-2012 at 07:06 AM.

  2. #2
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    26

    Default

    I actually started a thread asking about merc logic because of this very reason. I have a defiant toon I'm leveling right now and just starting to PvP this week after playing for months. We had a 19 Cleric twink that got put on the Guardian side 17 of 20 matches and they already had their own Assassin twink. Every match was a bloodbath and it made PvP very demotivating. I don't mind losing if the team's are relatively balanced but to take our twink and put it with the other team's? In 3 straight matches I watched our twink merc against us and go 19 - 0, 17 - 1, and 15 - 0. Her worst game was 13 - 1 when she said she was trying to straight heal and avoid combat.

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple Sabryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Agreed. Last night was a steamroll in the 20s, my team typically had 4-5 of the same 29s every game. The same lower level players always ended up on the opposite side too. It might be easier to compute this based on average player level for each team, as opposed to gear level (too many variables I would think).

  4. #4
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evilgrinners View Post
    Hold on before everyone flips the F out. I play a twink, among other toons, and there are matches when all twinks seem to be on one side. It would be nice if there was programming logic in however people are chosen to play each side (merc'ed or otherwise), to try and place an even number of twinks on each side; base it on gear somehow, etc.... to help balance them out somewhat.

    The only way to remove this kind of issue would be to remove Twinking or create a Twink WF, but I don't think Trion is going to do that. Given that fact, at least try to balance the WF's, so it's not a slaughterhouse.
    I agree with *this*

    I played a match where our team had 2 level 19's 1 level 18, while their team had 4 level 19's and 1 level 18. Everything else was a mishmash of other leveled players.

    Thankfully, we didn't get rolled *too* badly that match (997/1000), but the next game had 3 level 19's on our side, and 2 on tehirs and we crushed them.

    Some kind of 'balancing' needs to be put in place.

  5. #5
    Ascendant Meina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,618

    Default

    I definitely would support some form of matching system, as long as the impact to queue times was kept at a reasonable level.

    Trion needs to realize that insta-queues are not the answer to all our PvP woes. Sometimes, instant gratification has to take a back seat to the overall quality of the game.

  6. #6
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    26

    Default

    I don't get the merc logic, period. I just queue as a Defiant for a WF. Get in and I find out I'm a merc for the Guardians. However, there are now 9 of us on the Guardian side and 5 on the Defiant yet I was sent over as a merc?

  7. #7
    Ascendant Meina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byebye327 View Post
    I don't get the merc logic, period. I just queue as a Defiant for a WF. Get in and I find out I'm a merc for the Guardians. However, there are now 9 of us on the Guardian side and 5 on the Defiant yet I was sent over as a merc?
    Honestly, I don't think there's a lot of logic, or complexity, to the system. As far as I can tell, it just alternates which side you play on based on your position in queue.

    Something like...
    first guy = red
    next guy = blue
    next guy = red
    next guy = blue
    and so on.

    There might be an initial attempt to group people according to faction but it seems that even that is pretty lose.

  8. #8
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meina View Post
    Honestly, I don't think there's a lot of logic, or complexity, to the system. As far as I can tell, it just alternates which side you play on based on your position in queue.

    Something like...
    first guy = red
    next guy = blue
    next guy = red
    next guy = blue
    and so on.

    There might be an initial attempt to group people according to faction but it seems that even that is pretty lose.
    Agreed... whatever logic is in place, its probably in the order they queued. I'm just thinking out loud, but I'm imagining something like this:

    - The new match queues players until each side has at least 4
    - Logic looks at all players and matches each player with someone of nearly equal value in stats (or looks at all player stats, and splits them into two groups by the best possible stat split)
    - The split will never be equal, so the next person who joins the WF goes to statistically the weaker side

    This doesn't account for skill or classes, but that really doesn't matter in today's world anyway. There are many WF's where we don't have healers. The balance of power should theoretically go back and forth as people join, but if someone is geared well and also a terrible player that team will suffer. I think that is an ok thing though.

    If they did something like this, I would also like to see faction's go away in the WF's and people not able to inspect each others gear. It's an unfair advantage, especially with opposing factions. Personally, faction really never matters in WF's... it's all about the skill level of people and balancing the fight. They shouldn't worry about keeping factions together IMO.
    Last edited by evilgrinners; 04-27-2012 at 09:35 AM.

  9. #9
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evilgrinners View Post
    Agreed... whatever logic is in place, its probably in the order they queued. I'm just thinking out loud, but I'm imagining something like this:

    - The new match queues players until each side has at least 4
    - Logic looks at all players and matches each player with someone of nearly equal value in stats (or looks at all player stats, and splits them into two groups by the best possible stat split)
    - The split will never be equal, so the next person who joins the WF goes to statistically the weaker side

    This doesn't account for skill or classes, but that really doesn't matter in today's world anyway. There are many WF's where we don't have healers. The balance of power should theoretically go back and forth as people join, but if someone is geared well and also a terrible player that team will suffer. I think that is an ok thing though.

    If they did something like this, I would also like to see faction's go away in the WF's and people not able to inspect each others gear. It's an unfair advantage, especially with opposing factions. Personally, faction really never matters in WF's... it's all about the skill level of people and balancing the fight. They shouldn't worry about keeping factions together IMO.
    Sorry to revisit this thread, but I just thought of something and have concluded I do not like an 'armor' rating matching system...whatever, however you say, by comparing stats, because this will just bork the queues WAY out of balance.

    Let me explain.

    First off, if I join up in a queue and I have roughly 90% effectiviness on my ggear, or whatever, but I am better geared that you, you get pitted against me, and someone else. Combined, you two beat me, so I get a lesser geared person to compensate.

    Ok, fine.

    What's to stop me, and a bunch of others from taking off ALL our armor, waiting for the game to begin and then putting all my armor back ON and now i have a whole queue of twinks who had done the same and stomp the floor with the other team????

    NO

    NO

    NO

    Something needs to be done to balance out the system, yes I agree...but not a stats, or a 'matching' system.

    The only factor should be whether the toon is a) XP locked, and b) level 12 or 19, or any variation of x9

  10. #10
    Ascendant Hotter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,089

    Default

    This seems like a reasonable approach.

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    100

    Default

    This does need to be fixed....badly. As a twink I really hate it when my team has all the twinks, including the defiants twinks. Had one game where every twink playing that night was on my team and the other team was all levelers. It sucked so bad that we actually pleaded with them to stay at the rez so we could finish the game fast and re que. It's not so bad when I'm out numbered by twinks. I consider that a challenge and change the standards I set for what I expect my performance to be....but even then it can get tedious sometimes.

    In addition to matching lock vs non locked, some consideration should be given to # of players who are que'ing together and trying to balance that out as well.
    Last edited by Daskrieg; 04-28-2012 at 11:15 AM.

  12. #12
    Ascendant Meina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tevikolady View Post
    Sorry to revisit this thread, but I just thought of something and have concluded I do not like an 'armor' rating matching system...whatever, however you say, by comparing stats, because this will just bork the queues WAY out of balance.

    Let me explain.

    First off, if I join up in a queue and I have roughly 90% effectiviness on my ggear, or whatever, but I am better geared that you, you get pitted against me, and someone else. Combined, you two beat me, so I get a lesser geared person to compensate.

    Ok, fine.

    What's to stop me, and a bunch of others from taking off ALL our armor, waiting for the game to begin and then putting all my armor back ON and now i have a whole queue of twinks who had done the same and stomp the floor with the other team????

    NO

    NO

    NO

    Something needs to be done to balance out the system, yes I agree...but not a stats, or a 'matching' system.

    The only factor should be whether the toon is a) XP locked, and b) level 12 or 19, or any variation of x9
    The solution to this is, conceptually, quite simple, although putting it into place might be a little difficult.

    The solution would be to force people to play in the same gear that they have on when they queue up, leaving some wiggle room for weapon swaps and such.

  13. #13
    Ascendant Hotter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,089

    Default

    It could be independent of gear and just based on wf stats. They could even flag those who consistently meet this criteria for that bracket... hence flagging all twinks in the long run.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts