+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Whitefall is Over

Telaran

Default Whitefall is Over

Trion, please look within...

How many Whitefall warfronts are played each day compared to Black Garden, Codex, Library?

How long is the average Whitefall game?

My sense is that Whitefall is probably the most underplayed warfront in the game, second only to Scion due to the nature of the timer.

With 1.8, Whitefall is now a mandatory 20 minute smash-face-in-to-wall turtle fest; Get one return and camp your base waiting for the timer to expire.

This is why the majority of players seem to avoid this warfront in its standard play mode.

IMO the rogue runners were the saving grace for this particular map. I also think Escalation makes it far more tolerable as the play is much more dynamic, barring an outright slaughter on the first push, and the length of matches more in line with the other maps.

If I had my drothers, it would be Escalation every day, not just bonus weekends. Barring that, allowing *some* manner of runner abilities to function would also help break up the monotony and boredom.

Am I off base here?

Plane Walker

Winter is coming....

Champion of Telara

Eh, i've barely queued Whitefall since i maxed rep for it. It was terrible with run specs, its still terrible without them.

Escalation is so much better, its ridiculous to have it for 2 days a month or whatever it is. I agree with you entirely that this should replace Whitefall completely.

I like the fact that you can steal the stones back, i like the fact that you only have to run to the middle of the map rather than the full length if you die, i like the fact that you cannot turtle and win because you need to compete in the middle to get the stones.

Full time Escalation would be far better

Whitefall should be trashed and/or the map completely redone. It's pretty must the worse map the structure of pvp and what it is today.

Escalation WF is like 100% better.
    Last edited by LOveRH; 04-25-2012 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LOveRH View Post
    Whitefall should be trashed and/or the map completely redone. It's pretty must the worse map the structure of pvp and what it is today.

Escalation WF is like 100% better.
    I agree, regular whitefall is just a complete turtle and/or zergfest. So lame.

Quote Originally Posted by mistacrowley420 View Post
    I agree, regular whitefall is just a complete turtle and/or zergfest. So lame.
    Well, before 1.7 it wasn't that bad at all... let's just say it was bareable. But because of the valor increase and the tweeks to the classes .. the map just makes me cringe. The effort it takes to run all the way over to the other side, fighting your way to their base, find the carrier and somehow downing him before your assault team gets completely crushed... is a fing nightmare. It's just not worth.

I really want my Lady of War title but having to complete my 5 achievements i still in in whitefall would make me wrip my hair out.

Just wish escalation counted for achieves.
    what is this I don't even

Rift Master

I think the map is just too big. You can't hop from offense to defense or vice versa because it's a 1-2 minute roundtrip from one base to the other. People turtle on defense because chances are too high that your carrier/flag will be attacked while you're stuck in transit doing nothing.

Cut out the middle third of the map and the game becomes a lot more interesting.

Telaran

I counld agree more..
    I avoid this WF like the plague....

Quote Originally Posted by handerhank View Post
    I think the map is just too big. You can't hop from offense to defense or vice versa because it's a 1-2 minute roundtrip from one base to the other. People turtle on defense because chances are too high that your carrier/flag will be attacked while you're stuck in transit doing nothing.

Cut out the middle third of the map and the game becomes a lot more interesting.
    Agreed. I'm personally liking the gameplay of it now, but it's just to large for slow carriers. Length of the map made sense when people zipping across it, but now I pretty much fall asleep on the run over.

Of course then respawn timers would need looked at.

Eq2 tried CTF and it was just as whack. Huge piles of people get jobs done and the people who cap flags were often classes who could invis into the base and/or furies with their temp run speed buff (furies were the RS's of eq2 ctf)

I am kind of feeling that CTF just isn't a good MMO mod. Even with ideas of drastic change I am not sure it would make it better.

I still say the only thing I would like to try in that map is to make flag pickup/recovery touch based. But this would make stealth rogues completely dumb when they can invis on top of the flag for a touch pickup. So theres a dagger in a great plan due to inherent mmo design. I just can't think of a way to make CTF not lame in an MMO. Maybe it's my perspective but the CTF I grew enjoying is defied by the methods of this games and MMO ctf in general.

I'm used to everyone being able to run fast (if you can strafe jump), crowding the whole team in 1 area being a major flaw of strategy, fast paced gameplay, an atmosphere where it makes sense to say have the whole team generally spread out and holding their presence in other areas. This CTF just defies that. Gang up in the biggest gang you can and look like Washington crossing the Delaware for 3 minutes to your base.
    Last edited by Violacea; 04-25-2012 at 10:01 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    So theres a dagger in a great plan due to inherent mmo design. I just can't think of a way to make CTF not lame in an MMO. Maybe it's my perspective but the CTF I grew enjoying is defied by the methods of this games and MMO ctf in general.

I'm used to everyone being able to run fast (if you can strafe jump), crowding the whole team in 1 area being a major flaw of strategy, fast paced gameplay, an atmosphere where it makes sense to say have the whole team generally spread out and holding their presence in other areas. This CTF just defies that. Gang up in the biggest gang you can and look like Washington crossing the Delaware for 3 minutes to your base.
    I feel the same way, MMO CTF in general is just flawed. There are ways to change it up however, I feel that no matter what changes are done to the normal Whitefall, it will still have some problems. Perhaps it would be ideal to make Escalation the normal version, and come up with a new Escalation for it?
    White Fang

Adastra@Greybriar

Pre-1.8 Whitefall was my favorite warfront, but now it's just dumb. Nothing but blob on blob warfare, as one side zergs to the other base, and then gets wiped near the stone because of attrition setting in; while the enemy keeps getting waves of reinforcements straight from their graveyard.

I'd have to say that most of my matches since the change have ended in 0-0 draws. The next most common scenario is a 1-0 victory with the side touching down just turtling up once they get the cap.

If you're really dominating the other side then you can keep pummeling them and get a 2-0 win, and I have yet to see a 3-0 victory since 1.8 was deployed.

Not that any of this surprises me, quite a few predicted this would be the case before 1.8 went live.

Prophet of Telara

Currently if the whitefall match is even close to competitive it is going to go a full 20minutes.

One solution to preserve the change to runners (which I like overall) would be to make the game be decided by 1 cap and perhaps delay the spawning of the flags until 3 minutes or so until the match has started to stop people from just trading wins for "too" quick of favor/prestige gains. Also, blue orbs should still be usable by the flag runner, its a POWERUP, come on.
    Last edited by Seether; 04-25-2012 at 02:31 PM.

I really like the changes. I actually que for this warfront now and don't ignore the daily when it happens. Just today I captured, on my mage, 2 stones.

Been in 4 today and won them all 3-0.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast