+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By RiftWarden

Thread: Please make Mercing a balancing tool for warfronts

Default Please make Mercing a balancing tool for warfronts

Forgive me if this has been suggested before.

Mercing should be used as a mechanism to balance the warfronts.

Right now it seems completely random and you can still get 4 clerics on one side and none on the other, including a merced cleric that should have been on their own side.

My 2 Suggestions:
    1. Use mercing to attempt to have a balanced number of each class on each side of the match.
    2. Use mercing to have a balanced average of pvp Rank on each side.

Either or both of these would go a long way in making warfronts more competitive. Most of the time the fight is one sided; the best fights are the tough balanced matches.
    Last edited by RiftWarden; 04-24-2012 at 03:33 PM.
    Tracker - P40 Rogue on Seastone (defiant) - 51 MM / 15 NB / 0 RS
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by RiftWarden View Post
    Forgive me if this has been suggested before.

Mercing should be used as a mechanism to balance the warfronts.

Right now it seems completely random and you can still get 4 clerics on one side and none on the other, including a merced cleric that should have been on their own side.

My 2 Suggestions:
    1. Use mercing to attempt to have a balanced number of each class on each side of the match.
    2. Use mercing to have a balanced average of pvp Rank on each side.

Either or both of these would go a long way in making warfronts more competitive. Most of the time the fight is one sided; the best fights are the tough balanced matches.
    +1

/Signed

I recently joined the PvP scene (about a month ago), and have taken a cleric from 13->49 (xp locked now) strictly through PvP, with a few dungeon runs. I've been PvPing 4+ hours a day for the past week, and at least 50% of the matches end up completely lopsided. This happens in many ways, but the most significant I see in the L49 bracket are: one side has the majority of 49s, or one side has all the Rift Stormers. The latter, as absurd as it sounds, is actually the worse situation. Sure a L49 Rogue or Cleric or Mage can kill a person in a few GCDs, but a L49 Warrior can kill EVERY person around them (ok, just 9) in a few GCDs.

Mercing really does not need to be in the game at all. There are 2 WF groupings, remove that and consolidate all servers into one que system and the need for Mercing goes away.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Starsong View Post
    Mercing really does not need to be in the game at all. There are 2 WF groupings, remove that and consolidate all servers into one que system and the need for Mercing goes away.
    I don't have access to the actual numbers, but what I see day to day is that 75+% of PvPers are Defiants. I often am in games with 10 players, I get merc'd, and there's only ONE Guardian. And I'm pretty sure there aren't Guardians on the other side, because I recognize most of the Defiants by name due to the amount I PvP now.

Merc'ing IS needed. Or maybe put everyone into the same pool, and eliminate the Defiant/Guardian separation entirely in Warfronts. I doubt Trion is going to do that, though. So let's just keep merc'ing and address the balance issues.

Sword of Telara Chancellor Gowron's Avatar

+1 OP

I'm surprised they don't already do this.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Velkane View Post
    I don't have access to the actual numbers, but what I see day to day is that 75+% of PvPers are Defiants. I often am in games with 10 players, I get merc'd, and there's only ONE Guardian. And I'm pretty sure there aren't Guardians on the other side, because I recognize most of the Defiants by name due to the amount I PvP now.

Merc'ing IS needed. Or maybe put everyone into the same pool, and eliminate the Defiant/Guardian separation entirely in Warfronts. I doubt Trion is going to do that, though. So let's just keep merc'ing and address the balance issues.
    Absolutely right. I played Codex yesterday. Over half of the Guardian side were merced Defiant players. With the obvious imbalance of faction on some servers the wait would be interminable without Mercs.

Quote Originally Posted by Velkane View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Riwijo View Post
    Absolutely right. I played Codex yesterday. Over half of the Guardian side were merced Defiant players. With the obvious imbalance of faction on some servers the wait would be interminable without Mercs.
    Absoltely wrong, I go in warfronts, get merced and see Defiants on the other side. It has already been established many times, Mercing does nothing for balance, it is just for quick que times. Also, because there are more Defiants, yet again Guardians must Merc for the sake of people being zerglings and not Guardians? Sorry, poor argument, if I wanted to be Defiant I would roll one not be forced to merc as one. So again, if your number judgement was correct, I would never be a Defiant in WFs.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Starsong View Post
    Absoltely wrong, I go in warfronts, get merced and see Defiants on the other side. It has already been established many times, Mercing does nothing for balance, it is just for quick que times. Also, because there are more Defiants, yet again Guardians must Merc for the sake of people being zerglings and not Guardians? Sorry, poor argument, if I wanted to be Defiant I would roll one not be forced to merc as one. So again, if your number judgement was correct, I would never be a Defiant in WFs.
    Oh, sure, I definitely see Guardians on Defiant side, and Defiants on Guardian side, from time to time. However, on the Seastone Cluster it's not very common.

Who said Merc'ing currently does something for balance? That's the whole point of this thread -- to point out that it currently does NOTHING to help balance. It just improves queue times.

There are two problems with the Merc system:

1) The system doesn't seem to properly acknowledge a player's chosen faction. Meaning that you get people on Defiant side that are Guardians, and Guardians on Defiant side, in the same match. I suspect this has to do with WFs being started ASAP, and then people getting added every X minutes in iterative fashion. There probably is not a good solution for this, other than to increase queue times and never add players to in-progress WFs, which is a horrible idea.

2) The system does nothing to improve the balance between the sides. Some seemingly simple solutions would be to be balance by Level (or Prestige Rank) and then by Class. This, again, is probably complicated by the fact that players get added to WFs that are in-progress. But, I currently get thrown into WFs right at the start where there are 5 Warriors on one team, and 5 Clerics on the other. With the current state of affairs (1.8), obviously the team with 5 Warriors dominates.

Yea it needs something like this, it's getting pretty silly atm.

What i find funny though, is when i merc against merc's lol

Great idea OP. As far a merc or not, I never had a long queue, but then again I'm a guardian. So for me this www a non issue. Personally I liked that defiants had long queue times, it meant they didn't rank up our gear up as fast. ;p
    Last edited by Tufelhunden; 04-25-2012 at 07:39 PM.

+ Reply to Thread