+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Adastra

Thread: Still trying to understand queues - and I play both sides

Default Still trying to understand queues - and I play both sides

I am scratching my head trying to figure out how I can be one of the top 3 damage/KBs for my team and still end up losing the majority of my warfronts.

Here's the situation: I have BOTH a Defiant and a Guardian in the Seastone 20-29 bracket. Both are well geared, and I play well.

When I log in as my Defiant Pyro, my team gets stomped by Guardians....and I am one of the top DPS/KBs on the losing team.

SO, I jump on my Guardian, THEN the SAME THING HAPPENS...my Guardian team gets stomped, but I am near the top in DPS/KBs.

Now, read this carefully: I am leading in damage and KBs on the losing team. I am not holding them back.

My Guardian is a 29 rogue. My Defiant is a 24 PyroLock.

Last night in Codex I lost 12 matches and won...2. Just two.

I can't figure out how I get assigned to weak teams (i.e., lots of 0 Kbs and ~1500 damage among the teammates) no matter what side I am on in the bracket!

It Should be 50/50 if it were random.

I think it's the twink factor: if there are a pair of DPS/healer twinks working together in a bracket, then unless you get assigned to THAT team they are on, you lose, and lose pretty big much of the time.
    Last edited by Jural; 04-23-2012 at 05:49 AM.

Ascendant

The damage/KB doesn't matter if those kills aren't ones that matter. I'm not saying you were fighting people at their spawn or way out there. You probably were killing people by the objectives, but your team probably isn't helping out on taking over the various points in Codex. There are a lot of factors in play and just because one team has more kills than the other, they can still lose (I've seen it happen for and against my side).
    White Fang

Adastra@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
    The damage/KB doesn't matter if those kills aren't ones that matter. I'm not saying you were fighting people at their spawn or way out there. You probably were killing people by the objectives, but your team probably isn't helping out on taking over the various points in Codex. There are a lot of factors in play and just because one team has more kills than the other, they can still lose (I've seen it happen for and against my side).
    Thanks for the thoughts.

I was so tired, as a Guardian, of seeing my team so weak and getting stomped, that I rolled a Defiant in the bracket just to be able to get on a team that was playing as a team.

I did not expect that when I then played Defiants, that my team would now be stomped by Guardians!

So I am starting to realize that it's likely to be the "twink factor" that is causing the stomping. And if you can't get assigned to a team with the top twinks (who are working together as a pair sometimes)...then you get stomped by them.

The Merc factor was also working. My Defiant got assigned as a Merc 4 times in a row to a team that got stomped 1000 to 150...about 4 times in a row!

Now...if the queue "matcher" was working properly, the team that was dominating would have been "broken up" and distributed to even things out for everybody.
    Last edited by Jural; 04-23-2012 at 06:51 AM.

Ascendant

I do not think there's any matching for the lower warfronts, so you'll just get piled up with whoever. I'll agree that twinks can make PvPing through the bracket tough, unless you intend to also lock yourself in that bracket and twink out to match them.

It would be interesting to see how matching could be implemented at the low end. Perhaps look at the type of gear the player has in their bag and equipped? You can't really apply matching via gear at the time of queueing, because it would be too easy to get around that. You would need some sort of total inventory inspection and calculate out some stats and assign a player to either the pug or "twink" queue based on that.
    Last edited by Adastra; 04-23-2012 at 06:57 AM.
    White Fang

Adastra@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
    I do not think there's any matching for the lower warfronts, so you'll just get piled up with whoever. I'll agree that twinks can make PvPing through the bracket tough, unless you intend to also lock yourself in that bracket and twink out to match them.
    Well, my 29 IS a twink. But I find that it is not enough to twink gear yourself: you also have to be on a team that has enough serious players that they can support you.

Ascendant

Good point, see my above ninja post edit. I don't think there's a simple solution to it, unlike the prestige ranks at level 50 where you can easily just bracket off the ranks.
    White Fang

Adastra@Greybriar

+ Reply to Thread