+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Chancellor Gowron
  • 2 Post By Emanresu

Thread: Farming Bots in PVP leaderboard top 50

  1. #1
    Sword of Telara Chancellor Gowron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    803

    Default Farming Bots in PVP leaderboard top 50

    I noticed that quite a few of the toons near the top of the favor gained category are WF farming bots I frequently encounter. (go to favor gained category and click top 50) Most are unguilded bots some of which I have seen farming wfs almost 24/7 for months.

    I knew this was gonna happen when they said they were releasing leaderboards but I still had to laugh a little when it actually happened.

  2. #2
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Leaderboards, in their current state, are useless to the players. Leaderboards are a clever marketing ploy. For the most part, every category on them awards points for the number of times you do something: the number of times you assault a node in Codex, the number of stones returned, the number of people you killed, the amount of favor you get etc etc. How do you get points? By playing more. If you play more, Rift profits more. They don't demonstrate skill or quality, just quantity. It would be really, really nice to have a system in which skill and comptency was rewarded in ways that differed from how duration of play is rewarded now. Leaderboards are pretty much a waste of time. Maybe you're thinking to yourself, "That silly Unrated, he's just a bitter old man that he's not ranked so he's going to trash the system." I'm actually #1 in my platinum division right now, and all that means is my social life is non existant. It has no bearing on my skill or quality as a pvper. But I digress. The point is, big deal
    Unrated -- Now show me on this doll where the mean rogue touched you.

  3. #3
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    233

    Default

    You know there are so many fluff leaderboards which will keep average players happy, which is a great job. I think they can safely add 4 to satisfy the dedicated PVPers:

    --Heals per death (Healers)
    --Killing blows per death (DPS single target ppl)
    --Damage given per death (DPS aoe ppl)
    --Damage taken per death (Tanks)

    This would be so perfect and please everyone who PVPs for a challenge!

    So the infrastructure is there, and this would keep the select few casuals who like a PVP challenge (myself included) happy and in with a chance. As it is despite doing ok in individual warfronts i will not get on any leaderboard despite enjoying pvp !

    Cheers Styl,
    Last edited by styl; 04-23-2012 at 12:57 AM.

  4. #4
    Champion Cime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by styl View Post
    You know there are so many fluff leaderboards which will keep average players happy, which is a great job. I think they can safely add 4 to satisfy the dedicated PVPers:

    --Heals per death (Healers)
    --Killing blows per death (DPS single target ppl)
    --Damage given per death (DPS aoe ppl)
    --Damage taken per death (Tanks)

    This would be so perfect and please everyone who PVPs for a challenge!

    So the infrastructure is there, and this would keep the select few casuals who like a PVP challenge (myself included) happy and in with a chance. As it is despite doing ok in individual warfronts i will not get on any leaderboard despite enjoying pvp !

    Cheers Styl,
    I still want my:

    - Mana/energy drained
    - Deaths from reflects (yes a category to show stupid dps casters dying to reflective presence )
    - Kill/Death ratios
    - Dmg taken/dmg received ratios
    Stuff like that

    Current leaderboard is just fluff trash. Are the people in the top ten good? Eh, probably so cuz we spend majority of time in PVP and therefore have a chunk of experience from being there. Do the current leaderboards really show what people are doing and how they're doing it? No, but it could just be Trion wants the leaderboards to be as vague as possible. I do seem to recall hearing they wanted to make the boards so everyone felt like they could get on them...kinda smells like giving out trophies to kids that came in 6th place (when there were only 6 competing).

    Do I give a damn about where I am on the leaderboards? Not in the slightest. Do I care who is at the top? Nope. I just play to have fun, and I'll be damned if I have to go through those stupid charts to pad my leaderboard position.

    On that note, I better go heal an idol in port!
    But at least we can get married now!
    I'll be fishing in Codex...
    Nobodi - R8 Mage Defiant Deepwood
    Somebodi - 19 Rogue Guardian Deepwood (twink wannabe)

  5. #5
    Ascendant Credo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emanresu View Post
    Leaderboards, in their current state, are useless to the players. Leaderboards are a clever marketing ploy. For the most part, every category on them awards points for the number of times you do something: the number of times you assault a node in Codex, the number of stones returned, the number of people you killed, the amount of favor you get etc etc. How do you get points? By playing more. If you play more, Rift profits more. They don't demonstrate skill or quality, just quantity. It would be really, really nice to have a system in which skill and comptency was rewarded in ways that differed from how duration of play is rewarded now. Leaderboards are pretty much a waste of time. Maybe you're thinking to yourself, "That silly Unrated, he's just a bitter old man that he's not ranked so he's going to trash the system." I'm actually #1 in my platinum division right now, and all that means is my social life is non existant. It has no bearing on my skill or quality as a pvper. But I digress. The point is, big deal
    I was unaware that Rift is pay by the hour.
    Even free cost too much now

  6. #6
    Ascendant Baramos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emanresu View Post
    If you play more, Rift profits more.
    Just like in the gym industry I am betting that Trion actually prefers players who don't play as much but keeps paying.
    MMO VAULT (Video Game Music) ➜ https://www.youtube.com/c/VideoGameMusicSoundtrack

  7. #7
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cime View Post
    I still want my:

    - Mana/energy drained
    - Deaths from reflects (yes a category to show stupid dps casters dying to reflective presence )
    - Kill/Death ratios
    - Dmg taken/dmg received ratios
    Stuff like that

    Current leaderboard is just fluff trash. Are the people in the top ten good? Eh, probably so cuz we spend majority of time in PVP and therefore have a chunk of experience from being there. Do the current leaderboards really show what people are doing and how they're doing it? No, but it could just be Trion wants the leaderboards to be as vague as possible. I do seem to recall hearing they wanted to make the boards so everyone felt like they could get on them...kinda smells like giving out trophies to kids that came in 6th place (when there were only 6 competing).

    Do I give a damn about where I am on the leaderboards? Not in the slightest. Do I care who is at the top? Nope. I just play to have fun, and I'll be damned if I have to go through those stupid charts to pad my leaderboard position.

    On that note, I better go heal an idol in port!
    I DO NOT want to see a Kill/Death ratio. A Kill/Death ratio would just make the people that die a lot even more sad than they already are. Not to mention, the people with the highest Kill/Death ratio would probably end up being a healing class anyway.
    Last edited by immersive; 04-23-2012 at 11:03 PM.

  8. #8
    Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cime View Post
    Current leaderboard is just fluff trash.
    In a game where pre-mades end up against pugs, where r1 can be in the same WF as r40 and where teams are often utterly unabalanced in terms of ranking / class make up, any leaderboard is trash.

    And that is without going into stuff like credit for the kill can go to someone who did 1% of the damage, there is no credit for CC, purges, debuffs, buffs, mana drains, etc, you get the same 1 KB for taking out an r1 as you do an r40 and along the same lines you get 1kb for taking out a low priority target as you do for taking out the oppositions top healer.

    Leaderboards are only of use in properly matched gameplay like tournaments/arena, guild vs guild siege wars, etc.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts