+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Why do I have to PVE to be competitive in PVP?

Plane Touched

Default Why do I have to PVE to be competitive in PVP?

50 HK marks for Unstable Catalyst to make a Seal????!!!!

For Christ's sake add a PvP seal, or allow Unstable Catalyst to be purchasable with Favor!

It begs the question if you have any dedicated PvPers on staff?

Buy it with the tons of money you get from pvp.

Each warfront is usually 1-2p.

Oaf

+8 str, dex, wis, int, or end is the difference between being competitive or not?
    Honorary member of The Fallen Sons and Terrible Idea.

I wouldn't be surprised if pvp seals (and a whole sha-bang) come out when they speak of this pvp update. Like any new slot in an MMO, it is starting out small. For now, just some crafted gear can get put there. I expect that down the road pve and pvp will have their own itemization schemes for these slots.

This is very memorable of Eq2 when they finally made the 'charm' slot worth a crap and the best item was a +50 spell damage (pretty much as good as seals atm) crafted item. Later on though charms took on a much higher level of itemization and payed respect.

The fact it can be sold on the AH - the BiS versions - undermine a lot of the 'need' to pve for them. But you will have to pay a chunk of plat. I settled for the +30dex/9ap. Right now on my server apparently to get that extra 6 - 8dex it goes for an additional 800 - 1700 plat. So second best is fine for me Conclusion for this is I don't think you can say it requires pve'ing (kinda) and I would expect pvp seals or perhaps crafted faction earned pvp versions of a seal too (though this would only make sense if pve specific ones came out). But like I said, maybe they are just waiting for the pvp update. I really hope it comes with new armor, new notoriety goodies, pvp seals, pvp essences up to par and all that.

The thing is, despite the source of getting them, nothing about the seals is 'pve'. It is +stat/ap/sp. They don't have hit, they don't have valor (inherently). Their desirability is no higher in pve than pvp right now. The desire is rather equal. So if pvp seals came out with special pvp stats, I would expect to see some more pve oriented seals. Right now their acute usage though doesn't scream out for any side of the game. It's just nice to have.
    Last edited by Violacea; 04-21-2012 at 05:57 PM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by Oaf View Post
    +8 str, dex, wis, int, or end is the difference between being competitive or not?
    No, but an HK set effect is.
    ~Quiescent

As a x-high end raider who competed on a WW level for highest posted parses in the entire game. One of my higher parses on my wizard, I beat the assassin by ~.80 dps.

for PvE'ers, every drop counts and matters to them. Gotta push that deeps It's a moment like that you would go "yeah, that 8 dex just put you in second place son".

Course for pvp in a world where heals are rampant, hitting someone harder by 2 dmg doesn't weigh in like it does for pve. Hence why I am plenty satisfied with the second best seal. +8dex is not that AWESOME for pvp. Just nice. Sure better options will come eventually anyway. New slot, has to take baby steps.
    Last edited by Violacea; 04-21-2012 at 06:01 PM.
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

They really need to remove raid gear from the equation in PVP. People people out way too much damage/healing in full raid gear and can survive surprisingly well without full valor. Trion really need to put in some kind of "reverse valor" on all non PVP gear. That is, when you're wearing raid gear it actually makes you take MORE damage in PVP.

Probably wishful thinking but w/e. Just tired of seeing PVE stuff getting in the way of PVP. Honestly I'd love to see everyone in a WF automatically given the best PVP gear and let actual player SKILL dictate the encounter not who has the better gear.

Plane Walker

Im mad that the upgraded ShoE trinket drops in HK, i mean dang they couldnt put it in a chronicle or Mastermode? I havent even seen the inside of GSB muchless HK...... /rage
    Ill be singing this song for my chloro til i get buffedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JwHA495iHU
    I Xbox Controller Turn, Keyboard turners cant see me son. I Hadouken my rotations.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Pain View Post
    They really need to remove raid gear from the equation in PVP. People people out way too much damage/healing in full raid gear and can survive surprisingly well without full valor.

I beg to differ, on 2 accounts. 1 is a guardian who I saw on my side, I inspected him and noticed he had 4hk pieces on with an HK weapon. When he was back on the other side I went to my assassin and if his healer wasn't standing on top of him he was toast in seconds. Even with a healer before I got ganged, I could usually open up on this guy and take him well below 50% hp in 1 finisher cycle. 4pc hk rogue with a mix of r40 gear.

Other is a friend on my Defiant side, knowing he had 4 hk pieces on, to test again I tried to see how squishy someone wearing that is. My MM took him out in less than 2 finisher cycles without heals. The first finisher cycle dropped him below 50% hp. If my assassin got on him, 1 opening + final blow would leave them around ~25%hp or less.

Granted I was fighting losing games and just testing waters, so I was opening up typically in the middle of 6 enemies, but was curious how quickly these 4pc hk wearers go down trying it first hand. Honestly, if anyone is wear that much HK gear, if more than 1 good DPS is on them they will just be toast and get chunked out in amounts a healer probably can't keep up with without incredible use of shields stacking with hots/reactives. One of those rogues know who he was cause I was trying him last night. He told me to stop picking on him cause he didn't feel like wearing valor <3 Least I think 4pc + undertow was all the non pvp stuff he had

Point is, if people in 4pc's can nearly get taken out by my rogue in 1 finisher, that has to be just completely stupid if more than 1 person is damaging you. And if someone were to go even farther than 4pc and wear more full raid gear they'd just get blown over in an instant if they got close to a lot of heat. I go down pretty fast on my rogue and I wear mostly pvp gear. I can't imagine it getting worse but, thanks to some of my HK sporting rogues (<3) I have seen brutality on levels I never experienced since I was a super low rank in the days of non normalized valor.
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    I beg to differ, on 2 accounts. 1 is a guardian who I saw on my side, I inspected him and noticed he had 4hk pieces on with an HK weapon. When he was back on the other side I went to my assassin and if his healer wasn't standing on top of him he was toast in seconds. Even with a healer before I got ganged, I could usually open up on this guy and take him well below 50% hp in 1 finisher cycle. 4pc hk rogue with a mix of r40 gear.

Other is a friend on my Defiant side, knowing he had 4 hk pieces on, to test again I tried to see how squishy someone wearing that is. My MM took him out in less than 2 finisher cycles without heals. The first finisher cycle dropped him below 50% hp. If my assassin got on him, 1 opening + final blow would leave them around ~25%hp or less.

Granted I was fighting losing games and just testing waters, so I was opening up typically in the middle of 6 enemies, but was curious how quickly these 4pc hk wearers go down trying it first hand. Honestly, if anyone is wear that much HK gear, if more than 1 good DPS is on them they will just be toast and get chunked out in amounts a healer probably can't keep up with without incredible use of shields stacking with hots/reactives. One of those rogues know who he was cause I was trying him last night. He told me to stop picking on him cause he didn't feel like wearing valor <3 Least I think 4pc + undertow was all the non pvp stuff he had

Point is, if people in 4pc's can nearly get taken out by my rogue in 1 finisher, that has to be just completely stupid if more than 1 person is damaging you. And if someone were to go even farther than 4pc and wear more full raid gear they'd just get blown over in an instant if they got close to a lot of heat. I go down pretty fast on my rogue and I wear mostly pvp gear. I can't imagine it getting worse but, thanks to some of my HK sporting rogues (<3) I have seen brutality on levels I never experienced since I was a super low rank in the days of non normalized valor.

They might go down fast if they're pugging it, when it's in a premade they don't. What I've been seeing is teams rolling with some people that have full PVP gear as damage soakers, while their healer/ranged damage dealer sits off to the side a bit raining hellfire down upon people. Regardless, PVE gear should have NO place in PVP. I'm a purist like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post

You're right, I have that issue a lot in HK gear
    ~Quiescent

Plane Touched

you have two pieces and you're a marksman
    <Addiction>

Quote Originally Posted by Harmarofwhitecastle View Post
    you have two pieces and you're a marksman
    Does that nullify my argument at all?
    ~Quiescent

And another reason to not wear HK gear. I am yet to see someone vastly outperform me pvp wise because of it. Should be smoking my damage. Reminds me of why I went HC raiding in eq2. Was sick and tired of seeing people with worlds better gear only play as good as me. Then, lolies, I became the games top known dps'ing players. Most of you don't even deserve the gear you have tbh. Just sayin'

I am find with the glass cannon concept. I used to pvp on my mage with 0 pvp gear and pure top end raid gear. Gear was just too powerful I didn't need to live long. Granted if some assassin got all up on me I was gone fast. But most people just went down in 1 - 3 shots. Some tanks even got 1 shotted. I am well familar with the high risk vs insane damage output and know how to work the machine. But raid gear in Rift is not nearly as OP as raid gear in Eq2, so I don't see stacking up on raid gear playing out as well in this game as it did that.

Also, if you really have 2 pieces, that is not that brutal. it's the people who push 4+ pieces who get hurt badly. Even I drop my entire valor source engine for DPS stats and some weapons for hit. But the people who drop the 4 armor pieces typically lose way more valor than I do. It also voids out alot of their gear when they wear valor essences in return. Some people wear relic armor and have a garbage stat valor engine. I wear pvp armor and have a pure dps source engine. Tomato-tomato
    Last edited by Violacea; 04-21-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Plane Touched

yes because the ability to excel at avoiding damage lessens the need to mitigate it
    Last edited by Harmarofwhitecastle; 04-21-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: see: damage taken
    <Addiction>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast